Game #49 Toronto Raptors 109 - Minnesota Timberwolves 104

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    a) You're right lets just sign him to $20 M per year cause we don't give a crap about the owners making more money. Or lets wait until there is a player or players worth going into the tax for.

b) Raptors have a pretty good track record of players looking good once they enter the system. FVV isn't the only 3rd option PG out there capable of shining in this system and certainly not worth getting into a tax situation for.
    Answering just point a:

No, I don't give a crap about the owners making more money. I don't give a rats behind about rich people making more money. I want the team to be stable to afford operating costs, and don't let them fool you that they couldn't to that.

To me, any player worth going into tax for is one that makes you better with them then without. At least that's the case when youre supposedly "going for it"

Waving goodbye to carroll and patterson was understandble for budget COMBINED with developement and wins and losses. I would not be cool with shedding emerging talent year after year like we're the Tampa Bay devils rays.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Yeah I hate losing assets because of tax purposes.. especially this team/market. We're not in Milwaukee or New Orleans. It still bothers me (slightly as I'm getting over it) that we had to give up a first to get rid of Carroll.

But FVV has emerged as a talent, not a scrub like Carroll was. Besides taxes aren't due until the end of the year (after the draft). Could try and trade Powell by next years deadline if his stock rises or at the draft if the organization wants to save money. Or perhaps by then CJ becomes redundant when (hopefully) Siakam, Powell, and Wright all develop 3 point shots.

Comment

a) You're right lets just sign him to $20 M per year cause we don't give a crap about the owners making more money. Or lets wait until there is a player or players worth going into the tax for.

b) Raptors have a pretty good track record of players looking good once they enter the system. FVV isn't the only 3rd option PG out there capable of shining in this system and certainly not worth getting into a tax situation for.
        I get what you're saying, but I'll repeat my point upthread, retaining FVV is not just about on the court basketball reasons. He's another (proven?) trade chip to use when "Player X" demands a trade and we need to send $23 million the other way with pieces the other team wants. What does JV, FVV, Siakam and a first get you? Depth is great for basketball reasons AND for the ability to push 3 players on the table in a 3-for-1 swap for that missing piece of the puzzle. We have to be able to cash in on this depth and letting pieces leave for nothing is not the best plan IMHO.

To me, FVV at $7mill is totally worth it simply for basketball reasons, but ultimately, i'd like to leave all these cards in Masai's deck.

Comment

I like Freddy, but not so much to go into the tax for him. We're talking a 3rd string PG here. Can be easily replaced.
          A 3rd string PG? easily replaceable? you're not paying attention then.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Why? The raptors have shed players each season and brought in others to take their spots without missing a step.
            We brought in others through the draft (we don't have a pick this year) or through Free Agency (we're capped out). BTW, was Sullinger or Carroll better than Fred? We've had a few undrafted FA's over the past few years. Only 1 has worked out - that's Fred.

We can either give him a small raise or match what he's offered as a RFA. Lots of teams are capped out, so he's not going to get some astronomical offer. And if you think he's going to be offered $20 million as you posted above, then he must be a hell of a lot better than you think he s.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• if we're keeping FVV that means we're getting rid of Norm. And LJ2 is right in a way. We replaced Norm and didn't skip a beat.
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Well it worked last time so Cody, let’s get a game thread going so we can figure out how to beat the Wall-less Wiz who beat the Thunder

Comment

• Don't worry about Fred, Masai's signing Bruno to play point next year.
                  #TrustTheProcess
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    A) at what point would you like the raptors to go into the tax exactly? Shedding talent every offseason when you're a top 5 team, to keep the rogers and Bell dividends high? Are we cheering for a basketball team or a stock price?

B) fred is not a 3rd string PG anymore. He's been one of the better bench players in the nba for the 6 weeks he's been given free reign in the rotation. Time to update your nba 2k player profile role
                    You've lost the plot here. Unless Fred is willing to come back for like less than the MLE, he should be allowed to walk in the offseason. We have Delon Wright on a rookie scale deal still. We don't need to splurge on a 3rd point guard.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                      You've lost the plot here. Unless Fred is willing to come back for like less than the MLE, he should be allowed to walk in the offseason. We have Delon Wright on a rookie scale deal still. We don't need to splurge on a 3rd point guard.
                      What else can we splurge on?
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                        Setting aside the fact that we've seen firsthand how important depth is at the 1, especially with an aging an somewhat injury prone starter, you of all people should know that convention lineups are non existent these days. Fred is basically the backup 2. He can play alone with shooters, he can play with delon, or he can close with Kyle and demar. It's disingenuous to call him 3rd string pg, when what he is actually 2nd string backcourt. It's a luxury to have delon and Fred, but a needed luxury. Having 2 above average backups with very different styles is hard for the opposition to handle.

The only way id see myself changing course is if Powell reemerges as a beast again. Even then though I'd feel the best asset management is to keep both and trade one, and live a new life above the cap like a contender should.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Comment

• And let's not forget that Delon isn't exactly an ironman. Only a matter of time before he injures his shoulder again *jinx*

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            And let's not forget that Delon isn't exactly an ironman. Only a matter of time before he injures his shoulder again *jinx*
                            Was it you giving tips to T Rex about how to get the site working on his phone again? I got a new phone and its screwed on chrome and regular browser, same complaints others have had.

I see on desktop computers you can change the style at the very bottom of the page, and when you change from 'default' to 'mobile', thats the display I'm seeing on my phone.

I just want the desktop site version back on my phone like the good ol days

Comment

Was it you giving tips to T Rex about how to get the site working on his phone again? I got a new phone and its screwed on chrome and regular browser, same complaints others have had.

I see on desktop computers you can change the style at the very bottom of the page, and when you change from 'default' to 'mobile', thats the display I'm seeing on my phone.

Sorry dude, wasn't me. But I hear tapatalk is a decent workaround.

Comment

I believe on Android you can ask for the desktop version for any site. Found a link on how to do it (not generally a mobile user myself so not sure if it will work):
                                https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-r...e-for-android/

Comment

Working...
                                X