Game #53: Boston Celtics 91 - Toronto Raptors 111

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    Why wouldn't they? This is who they are. I think coaches often try to get too cute by half in the playoffs with changing things up and then they get in trouble throwing everything out of synch.
    The Raptors bench has given them a huge boost, but normally teams tighten up their rotation for the playoffs. If I were to provide an answer to your question I would have to think something along the lines of the opposing team having their starters out against our bench unit may not work in our favour.

Comment

• This Raptors team is as close as it gets to the 2004 Pistons team that won it all. We don't have a top 5 player, which I think is what Hotshot was alluding to, but that Pistons team took down the Lakers in part because of the Shaq vs Kobe feuding that affected the team. Sounds a lot like what's happening in Cleveland with "Lebron vs. everybody else" in that organization, no?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        This Raptors team is as close as it gets to the 2004 Pistons team that won it all. We don't have a top 5 player, which I think is what Hotshot was alluding to, but that Pistons team took down the Lakers in part because of the Shaq vs Kobe feuding that affected the team. Sounds a lot like what's happening in Cleveland with "Lebron vs. everybody else" in that organization, no?
        It's funny, we always think "the pistons won with 4 all NBA guys and a stud glue guy"

But, looking at strictly 2003-04 they only had one all star. Ben wallace. Wallace was a top 5 player at the time. The other 4 guys were in the 30-50 range. So breaking down both starting units:

1. Ben Wallace - top 5
        2. Demar derozan - top 10
        3. Kyle Lowry - top 30
        4. Chauncey billups - top 40
        5. Sheed Wallace - top 50
        6. Jonas valanciuans - top 50
        7. Serge ibaka - top 50
        8. Rip Hamilton - top 50
        9. Tayshaun prince - top 60
        10. Og/fvv/Wright/siakam - top of the world

Quite comparable actually. Obvs golden State didn't exist then, But a finals birth would be like a ring to me this year
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I think they'll stick with a 10 man rotation in the playoffs, and they should. They also still have an 11th option between Powell/Miles depending on what they're looking for - 3 pt shooting vs. defence. Bebe is still capable for a few minutes a game if JV/Poeltl have foul trouble.

They only tweak is what Casey already often does against strong teams - instead of 5 man hockey shifts, he leaves 1 or 2 starters in with the bench for a few minutes. If everything's going well, make one more sub and the 5 man bench keeps it rolling. Usually they're doing so well that he can leave them in there for a bit even after the other team brings in starters. You would just play all that as it comes in the playoffs - leave a starter with the bench for longer or bring starters back in sooner if there are issues.

Overall the 10 man rotation has been great, though. Beyond starters vs. starters and bench vs. bench +/-, it's hard to objectify how valuable throwing two very different lineups at the other team is, but it sure looks effective. The energy, ball pressure, and fast break scoring can't be understated either - as a team they can sustain a lot more of that through 48 minutes because they're rolling 10 guys deep, including a lot of young legs. I love seeing the full court pressure several times through a game.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Did the Raps and Celtics play last night? Was there a matchup between the first and seconds seeds in the East, only one game apart after more than 50 games of the season? Can't really tell...I went on the ESPN main NBA page and there wasn't really anything there. I mean, I think they played because they did have a big picture and headline of Jaylen Brown blocking a Raptor and going for a dunk. So I guess they might have played. Boston probably won. I expect very little from (unfortunately) the source where most americans get their sports coverage but this is a new low for them.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
              Did the Raps and Celtics play last night? Was there a matchup between the first and seconds seeds in the East, only one game apart after more than 50 games of the season? Can't really tell...I went on the ESPN main NBA page and there wasn't really anything there. I mean, I think they played because they did have a big picture and headline of Jaylen Brown blocking a Raptor and going for a dunk. So I guess they might have played. Boston probably won. I expect very little from (unfortunately) the source where most americans get their sports coverage but this is a new low for them.
              Good. They'll ignore us all the way to the finals until we're one of 2 teams left to talk about

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Zainab wrote: View Post

I asked for more tweets and u really brought it, cheers 👍🍺

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Raps are 4.5 point favourites.

Not sure how this isn't a nationally televised game.
                  slaw wrote: View Post
                  Really? No, you're sure......
                  With that ugly performance, maybe the media moguls were right to avoid showcasing the Cuntics on a national scale...

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                    Here's the thing. We all want the Raps to finish 1st right? so that they can avoid the Cavs in the 2nd round. The thing is right now, we don't know where the Cavs are going to finish. I could easily see them finishing 4th/5th/6th.
                    The way things are playing out, there's really no reason to avoid the Cavs at all.

Comment

• Comment

• Yikes. I can't really defend Lowry and DeRozan though when people say that. You have to show up in the playoffs period.

Here's my issue though, does SAS know that the Raptors actually have a better postseason rec than the Celtics the last few yrs? last yr was FIRST TIME the Celtics got past in the 1st round in the Brad Stevens era. They would've lost in the 1st round last yr too if my boy Rondo did not get hurt. And oh they got swept by the Cavs in the Fibals last year pretty bad. How come no one's talking bout thay? lol
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                          WTF Stephen A

Comment

Yikes. I can't really defend Lowry and DeRozan though when people say that. You have to show up in the playoffs period.

Here's my issue though, does SAS know that the Raptors actually have a better postseason rec than the Celtics the last few yrs? last yr was FIRST TIME the Celtics got past in the 1st round in the Brad Stevens era. They would've lost in the 1st round last yr too if my boy Rondo did not get hurt. And oh they got swept by the Cavs in the Fibals last year pretty bad. How come no one's talking bout thay? lol
                            This is the issue that I have with the US media in general. I'm sure the Raps used that as fuel last night

Comment

Yikes. I can't really defend Lowry and DeRozan though when people say that. You have to show up in the playoffs period.

Not to mention we will be 1st by the time playoffs roll around. Look at our schedule.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Good. They'll ignore us all the way to the finals until we're one of 2 teams left to talk about

And even then, they'll still only talk about the opponent!

Comment

Working...
                                X