This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saints91 wrote: View Post
    Is he better or is he just getting to play a bigger role?
    Poeltl is playing more against the second unit. Don't forget that. He also is playing with stronger teammates and that helps. It can't be accurately incorporated into the analytics but this is a team sport.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
      I don't understand. Are you saying that all numbers don't matter, except games won, which is a number, or points scored in a game, which is also a number?
      Numbers don’t matter. Raptors won a championship. Cavs 4-0 is also a number, doesn’t matter.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        It's too bad numbers alone don't win games Barolt. If numbers alone won games everyone could be fired except for a few people who can quote stats.
        Okay if you aren't going by numbers it's just your opinion? Given the same opportunity I think Poetlt is the better player

Comment

I don't understand. Are you saying that all numbers don't matter, except games won, which is a number, or points scored in a game, which is also a number?
          No, I'm saying basketball talent evaluation isn't about looking guys up on Google and comparing a line of numbers. That's one piece to the puzzle, it's not the puzzle.

Comment

Poeltl is playing more against the second unit. Don't forget that. He also is playing with stronger teammates and that helps. It can't be accurately incorporated into the analytics but this is a team sport.
            It actually can be accurately incorporated into analytics, because we can look at the number of starters on the other team who are on the court against a given player, and average it out.
            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

No, I'm saying basketball talent evaluation isn't about looking guys up on Google and comparing a line of numbers. That's one piece to the puzzle, it's not the puzzle.
              So, you say Sabonis is better, I say that that's not true because by any decent statistical measure, Poeltl was better this year, and you say that statistics don't matter(which I vehemently disagree with).

But, for the purpose of argument, what exactly is your argument that Sabonis is better then(without using statistics, please, because numbers don't matter)?

Comment

I agree with that. But Poetlt was the consensus 9th pick from draft experts though.

Comment

It actually can be accurately incorporated into analytics, because we can look at the number of starters on the other team who are on the court against a given player, and average it out.
                  Did you do this? Did you factor in the strength of each player's teammates they're playing with and the schemes?

Comment

Did you do this? Did you factor in the strength of each player's teammates they're playing with and the schemes?
                    I'm not the creator of either RPM or PIPM, but I do believe that PIPM has an opposition quality factor built in, yes.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      Just a quick note here. Colangelo has DeRozan, JV and Lowry on his CV because he SUCKED. He built a bunch of terrible teams, got a bunch of high draft picks, managed to hit on a couple of them, and trade another to get a good player. If you suck, yes, you will end up with a bunch of high picks, and if you hit on even some of those you will end up with very good talent.

Colangelo didn't even know what he had in those players. Lowry was buried behind Jose, who Bryan eventually moved for Gay, who of course shoved DeRozan off the ball, and JV was stuck playing beside Bargnani and carrying the 2nd lowest usage of the starters (thanks to the brilliant starting SF, which was a revolving door of Mikael Pietrus, Landry Fields, Alan Anderson, Terrence Ross and Dominic McGuire until Gay came along and forced JV to 5th in usage). Yes, the shitty GM who shittily GMed his team to shitty records for years at a time ended up with lotto talent on his team. Hooray!

Thankfully we eventually got a real GM who had some inkling how to use and surround lottery talent. If Masai's biggest star discoveries were him finding guys on his own team, that's still a sight better than what BC managed - he drafted them, and still couldn't find them on his own roster.
                      Masai has done a great job of surrounding Colangelo's guys with talent - that's great. But how about surrounding them with ANOTHER impact player? 6 years and nada. Dude still relies on DeRozan, Lowry and JV.

Also, JV and Lowry just finished their 1st year as a Raptors when BC got fired. DeRozan i think just finished his 3rd. They were KIDS. You're talkin about Bargnani and JV's usage lol OF COURSE veteran players like Gay and Bargnani would get more touches than a rookie player. And it's not like JV is some great offensive big lol. You're probably upset last season that DD and KL got more touches over OG lol.

Last thing, JV, KL and DD were kids when Colangelo got fired. He could've done as good a job as Masai but never got a chance. And i'm sure he would've found a way to complement those 3 with another star.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• So if we aren't going by stats, I think a league wide professional opinion would be sufficient, shouldn't it?

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                          Masai has done a great job of surrounding Colangelo's guys with talent - that's great. But how about surrounding them with ANOTHER impact player? 6 years and nada. Dude still relies on DeRozan, Lowry and JV.

Also, JV and Lowry just finished their 1st year as a Raptors when BC got fired. DeRozan i think just finished his 3rd. They were KIDS. You're talkin about Bargnani and JV's usage lol OF COURSE veteran players like Gay and Bargnani would get more touches than a rookie player. And it's not like JV is some great offensive big lol. You're probably upset last season that DD and KL got more touches over OG lol.

Last thing, JV, KL and DD were kids when Colangelo got fired. He could've done as good a job as Masai but never got a chance. And i'm sure he would've found a way to complement those 3 with another star.
                          Considering BC’s trade/free agent history, I highly doubt it.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                            Considering BC’s trade/free agent history, I highly doubt it.
                            All those stars Colangelo brought in with trades. Like Hedo Turkoglu, or Jermaine O'Neal, or Shawn Marion. None of whom were disappointing in the slightest during their time with the Raptors.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

LOL, yeah, except he did find a way to complement those 3 with another star. It was Rudy Gay.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

All those stars Colangelo brought in with trades. Like Hedo Turkoglu, or Jermaine O'Neal, or Shawn Marion. None of whom were disappointing in the slightest during their time with the Raptors.
                                Just as disappointing as Ibaka and Carroll.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X