This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    A lot of people weren't that high on Sexton though, compared to other players on the board.(because he's not really good at many things)

The 8th pick had higher trade value than Sexton does.
    Unprotected draft picks are like new cars

Soon as the lottery takes place they're slightly used

After the draft they're well worn
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Not much news in the NBA today. A little bit about Aaron Gordon but really not much. Surprising considering the Wiz and Clippers made a deal the other day. Thought that might have started the ball rolling a bit.

Lebron has to make a decision whether to opt in or not by tomorrow.. so I'm sure the NBA will be waiting on that announcement. Wonder if he'll televise it?

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        Yeah they're in a tight spot. Literally the only thing they have going for them is James, who is center of the basketball universe. Players have a lot of pull in this league and he can probably try and do some work
        I hear what you're saying, but Cleveland has no feasible way to get Leonard. I can't think of a single piece on their team the Spurs would want, and if they got other teams involved, I don't know who gives up a good enough asset to send Leonard to Cleveland instead of their own team.

They also have no cap space. So trying to pick up a free agent gets really difficult.

If LeBron stays in Cleveland, I don't think he does it because winning is a priority. I mean, he makes any team a contender, but he would also know that there are teams with better and younger rosters. Think he would do it more to stay home.

Comment

Yeah they're in a tight spot. Literally the only thing they have going for them is James, who is center of the basketball universe. Players have a lot of pull in this league and he can probably try and do some work
          Would you give value for any of these contracts?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/CLE.html

Most teams would ask for sweeteners for any of those deals except maybe Love. LeBron can't fix that big a mess; easier to go somewhere fresh, like he did with Miami, and build on a blank slate.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            Not much news in the NBA today. A little bit about Aaron Gordon but really not much. Surprising considering the Wiz and Clippers made a deal the other day. Thought that might have started the ball rolling a bit.

Lebron has to make a decision whether to opt in or not by tomorrow.. so I'm sure the NBA will be waiting on that announcement. Wonder if he'll televise it?
            Yeah, that Wiz-Clips deal was odd in terms of timing just relative to the fact that usually nothing really does happen until free agency opens up. So I'm sure we'll start seeing more buzz by Sunday, and within the next couple of weeks most/all of the major movement will be done.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
              Would you give value for any of these contracts?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/CLE.html

Most teams would ask for sweeteners for any of those deals except maybe Love. LeBron can't fix that big a mess; easier to go somewhere fresh, like he did with Miami, and build on a blank slate.
              It depends on what the Love trade would hypothetically involve. If they want a package like a role player, a young player and a pick (most likely lottery protected), they can probably get that. A team with space, like maybe Dallas, would maybe consider taking Love's salary off their hands in just a straight up salary dump with no real extra pieces involved going either way. If they want to trade for a guy like Leonard? Doubt Spurs have interest in Love without sweetener. And that might go trying to trade him for any young or in their prime all star.

Comment

• Kuh wrote: View Post
                Interestingly, if you use WP48, they grade out as identical players:
                Jokic indeed has 4x more assists (and more turnovers)
                Valanciunas is a significantly better rebounder, better two point shooter (59% vs. 54%) and better at blocks.
                The both have the same 3 point %, and Jokic throws up 2.5 for every 1 that Jonas does.

https://www.boxscoregeeks.com/player...14&season=2017
                Excellent proof of why you shouldn't use that site for evidence of anything.

Unless you think Clint Capela, DeAndre Jordan, and Andre Drummond were the three most valuable players in the league, as they were by the site's WP48 with a minimum 420 minutes played. Salah Mejri over Jimmy Butler should also give you a clue. It's a broken model.

Comment

• Zach Lowe has an article on free agency... little blurb about Toronto in his Lebron James piece:
                  http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-kawhi-leonard

Other teams want LeBron to move fast. His choice will ripple across the league. Think about the Raptors. Marc Stein of The New York Times has already reported that anyone on Toronto's roster could be had for the right price, and a couple of teams say the Raptors brain trust at least implied as much during calls on draft night. A rebuild is coming at some point for The North. But how could they feel comfortable igniting that process without first knowing if LeBron leaves the East, and clears away one unmovable obstacle to the Finals?

Yes, Philly and Boston will be better next season -- perhaps good enough that Toronto shouldn't care about LeBron's decision if someone offers the Raptors the motherlode for Kyle Lowry or DeMar DeRozan. But it would be painful to detonate a 59-win team and then watch James bolt. (Boston, for what it's worth, is very confident it can retain Kyrie Irving next summer despite persistent rumblings he might consider one of the New York teams, per league sources.)

The wait will end soon.
                  So that seems to indicate that Masai is waiting on that one domino (Lebron's decision) before making any of his own moves. Sounds logical. But even if Lebron goes out West I still think we need some significant change to the roster (that doesn't include bringing back FVV).

Comment

• If you’re bored check out some Lakers forums. Their fans are not happy about having to potentially give up their youth in trades.

I thought raptors fans were cranky—they expect to get Leonard without giving up Ingram and kuzma.

Comment

Zach Lowe has an article on free agency... little blurb about Toronto in his Lebron James piece:

So that seems to indicate that Masai is waiting on that one domino (Lebron's decision) before making any of his own moves. Sounds logical. But even if Lebron goes out West I still think we need some significant change to the roster (that doesn't include bringing back FVV).
                      I really, really hope that isn't our rationale. Our goal shouldn't be to just make the Finals. Our goal should be to win the Finals.

We have to beat LeBron or someone better than him wherever he is in the league. Doing nothing because he's in another conference would be the easy, comfortable decision, and would be extremely disappointing.

Comment

Zach Lowe has an article on free agency... little blurb about Toronto in his Lebron James piece:

LeBrons decision literally effects all 30 teams in some way..some more than other obviously. It's insane
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I don't think that's true at all. At least not in the sense you're implying or the article is implying.

This is how it goes pretty much every season. The first real dominoes are the big free agents. All hands are tied until then. I'm sure Masai was very active leading up to the draft, which is usually the best period to get something done before free agency. Obviously he didn't find a deal that he felt benefited the team. Rarely does anything significant happen between the draft and the start of free agency (Gortat-Rivers was not significant).

I don't think Masai gives a shit about LeBron's choice in any other way. He clearly isn't letting it dictate his strategy if he was fielding calls for all players going into the draft. If he gets a deal he likes, I suspect he'll pull the trigger regardless of the LeBron situation.
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Jun 28, 2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

LeBrons decision literally effects all 30 teams in some way..some more than other obviously. It's insane
                            NBA free agency is like life on the Serengeti. The lions make the big kill and they get to gorge first. Then come the hyenas. Then the vultures. And finally...... the dung beetles.

Comment

• Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                                yup it begins
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X