Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the Nuggets are aggressively pursuing LeBron I don't know why we wouldn't. We're set up better than the Nuggets in the short term and LeBron would still have an easier path to the Finals in the East.

https://sports.yahoo.com/source-nugg...075605653.html

Depending on what we send back we could stay under the apron. The only question is whether Gilbert would take back Ibaka/Powell's deals plus pieces.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
      If the Nuggets are aggressively pursuing LeBron I don't know why we wouldn't. We're set up better than the Nuggets in the short term and LeBron would still have an easier path to the Finals in the East.

https://sports.yahoo.com/source-nugg...075605653.html

Depending on what we send back we could stay under the apron. The only question is whether Gilbert would take back Ibaka/Powell's deals plus pieces.
      I've been reading the comments from the Cavs about Lebron opting out as a strong signal that the Cavs will let Lebron go to Philly or LA rather than facilitating a sign-and-trade. I agree that Toronto makes a great deal of sense as a Lebron destination, even with a more Cavs-palatable swap of Lebron for Derozan and another piece and a pick. (Gilbert would have much less difficulty selling that to the fans, I think.)

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
        I've been reading the comments from the Cavs about Lebron opting out as a strong signal that the Cavs will let Lebron go to Philly or LA rather than facilitating a sign-and-trade. I agree that Toronto makes a great deal of sense as a Lebron destination, even with a more Cavs-palatable swap of Lebron for Derozan and another piece and a pick. (Gilbert would have much less difficulty selling that to the fans, I think.)
        Well Lebron has opted out and is a free agent.... which means any team has to acquire him via cap space.
        The Raps have no cap space. None. LA has the room. Cleveland has room using their bird rights. Maybe Philly but there are fit considerations in Philly. Money as predicted is really really tight in the NBA right now.

Now that Paul George has elected to stay in OKC against the wishes of ESPN......Lebron and his camp have some real thinking to do on his next move. Sign in LA and wait for help to come ... or go back to Cleveland and wait for a little more help to come.

The good news for the Raps is that plenty of teams still want to make moves with their personnel..... and the only way to do that now is via trade.... and the Raps are open for business.
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jul 1, 2018, 09:44 AM.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
          Well Lebron has opted out and is a free agent.... which means any team has to acquire him via cap space.
          The Raps have no cap space. None. LA has the room. Cleveland has room using their bird rights. Maybe Philly but there are fit considerations in Philly. Money as predicted is really really tight in the NBA right now.

Now that Paul George has elected to stay in OKC against the wishes of ESPN......Lebron and his camp have some real thinking to do on his next move. Sign in LA and wait for help to come ... or go back to Cleveland and wait for a little more help to come.

The good news for the Raps is that plenty of teams still want to make moves with their personnel..... and the only way to do that now is via trade.... and the Raps are open for business.
          Yea I think once Lebron decides some dominoes will start falling. I think we will see a flurry of trade activity after he commits somewhere. For the raps it’s good to have an all nba talent you’re open to trading once the sparks start to fly.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
            Yea I think once Lebron decides some dominoes will start falling. I think we will see a flurry of trade activity after he commits somewhere. For the raps it’s good to have an all nba talent you’re open to trading once the sparks start to fly.
            I think the dominoes have already fallen... George stayed in OKC... That primal scream you heard last night was Laker fans... If Lebron doesn't sign in LA and its a very good chance he won't... the lakers might panic a bit. Pray for panic in LA as they may feel the heat to make some trades.

With very little money out there in FA players are saying fuck Lebron and are taking money on the table in fear that it will dry up faster than a Justin Trudeau promise. Case in point.. Trevor Ariza just took 15m for one year . Both Illysaova and Belleni said c ya later and bolted from Philly for on the table money.

The lone remaining impact player .. and its debateable if he will still have an impact after an achilles injury... is Boogie Cousins. He could go to LA as the wingman for Lebron but he could also stay in New Orleans.

For the first time Lebron has some soul searching to do.. He usually dictates the terms of where he plays. However this year... the choices are far more limited. Still choices... but very very limited.
            - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
              With very little money out there in FA players are saying fuck Lebron and are taking money on the table in fear that it will dry up faster than a Justin Trudeau promise. Case in point.. Trevor Ariza just took 15m for one year . Both Illysaova and Belleni said c ya later and bolted from Philly for on the table money.
              I think the circumstances between players like Ariza and Ilyasova are quite different.

Next offseason, there's a ton of teams that will have significantly more cap space than this year - those teams are also teams that may spend significantly to make a splash in the free agent market to produce a winning team. For example, the Clippers currently have $113M in salaries for 2018-2019 - the following year, that dips to $34M. A player like Ariza, who some teams might see as a key piece for constructing a winning roster may be able to land a Mozgov-like overpay - so they're gambling on a one-year contract this year, for the big pay off next offseason.

With Ilyasova, he was never likely to be a recipient of an overpay, so getting a three year contract for him is the big pay off.

But hey, this discussion is moot, because Freddy's apparently back.

Comment

• https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamsChar...6917934081?p=v

Comment

• Restricted free agent Fred VanVleet has agreed to a two-year, $18 million deal to return to Toronto, league sources tell Yahoo.

10:33 AM · Jul 1, 2018

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...30496917934081

Comment

• Steady Freddy for only 9m a season is great. Timing him for the club's next decision point (summer of 2020) is too.

Comment

• Raptors, Fred VanVleet Agree To Two-Year Deal
                      July 1st, 2018 at 9:36am CST by Luke Adams

The Raptors have agreed to re-sign free agent point guard Fred VanVleet, according to Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports (Twitter link). Charania reports that it will be a two-year, $18MM contract, while Michael Scotto of The Athletic adds (via Twitter) that the deal won’t include any option years.Fred VanVleet of the Toronto Raptors vertical

VanVleet, who initially joined the Raptors as an undrafted free agent out of Wichita State in 2016, emerged as a key part of the team’s rotation in 2017/18. The leader of the NBA’s most productive five-man second unit, VanVleet averaged 8.6 PPG and 3.2 APG with a .414 3PT%. He was frequently a part of Toronto’s crunch-time lineups, and was a finalist for the league’s Sixth Man of the Year award.

Even without account for VanVleet, the Raptors already have $126MM+ in guaranteed money on their books for 2018/19, so there was some concern about the club’s ability to bring back the key reserve, particularly if the 24-year-old received a lucrative offer sheet from a rival suitor. However, a prime landing spot for VanVleet disappeared early on Sunday morning when the Suns committed their cap room to a deal for Trevor Ariza rather than using it to pursue a point guard.

With VanVleet projected to get a starting salary close to $9MM, the Raptors are set to go well into tax territory, so the team may look to cut costs elsewhere. Multiple reports this offseason have stated that no one on Toronto’s roster is untouchable, including highly-paid veterans like Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, Serge Ibaka, Jonas Valanciunas, and C.J. Miles. The club was also said to be gauging the market for Norman Powell.

The Raptors will use their Early Bird rights to re-sign VanVleet, so they’ll still have the taxpayer mid-level exception available.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                        Steady Freddy for only 9m a season is great. Timing him for the club's next decision point (summer of 2020) is too.
                        Also puts Lowry in play for this year on the trade front. No harm in listening.
                        - TGO

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                          I think the circumstances between players like Ariza and Ilyasova are quite different.

Next offseason, there's a ton of teams that will have significantly more cap space than this year - those teams are also teams that may spend significantly to make a splash in the free agent market to produce a winning team. For example, the Clippers currently have $113M in salaries for 2018-2019 - the following year, that dips to $34M. A player like Ariza, who some teams might see as a key piece for constructing a winning roster may be able to land a Mozgov-like overpay - so they're gambling on a one-year contract this year, for the big pay off next offseason.

With Ilyasova, he was never likely to be a recipient of an overpay, so getting a three year contract for him is the big pay off.

But hey, this discussion is moot, because Freddy's apparently back.
                          Yep Freddys back.... some thoughts rolling around my pea brain as the first wave of free agency is over and a lot of teams and players have made moves. What does that mean for the East .. where we play ? Will post on that a bit later.

Yep next offseason lots more teams have lots more money... however.... you still have this coming season to play. Trades are an avenue open to make moves to tinker with your personnel and set yourself up for next year.
                          - TGO

Comment

• Steady Freddy gets his cheddy and stays in TO? HYPE!
                            Axel wrote:
                            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Summer of 2020 looks like it'll be a pivotal offseason for us
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Well the first wave of Free Agency is in the books. Some predictable moves have unfolded and some unpredictable ones as well. Such is the meld of a soap opera and WWE that is the NBA.

The Raps deal with Lowry now looks pretty effin good as Chris Paul who is a year older signed up for more term and more .. way effin more….. money in Houston. That move effectively ended any chance at landing Lebron in Houston.

My cracked crystal ball also called Paul George to say in OKC against ESPN and RR conventional wisdom. Another surprise and the canary in the coal mine is that Tervor Ariza took the money on the table and left Houston. So did most of the outside shooting in Philly as both Belly and Illyasova took the money on the table and ran as opposed to waiting around for what Lebron might or might not do in a couple weeks.

As they hinted they would do.. Los Raptors signed Fred VanVleet. A good move for them as a succession plan is in place.

So whats the landscape look like post Day 1 of FA in the East where we play.

Cleveland .. is in limbo. James opted out and is plotting his next move. The Cavs without James are a playoff team … just one without home court. With James they are a top 4 club.

Chowders… have to be feeling good. They have a choice to make on Smart and seeing how teams have waded into the luxury tax stratosphere (OKC / GSW / CAVS)without blinking the Chowda’s just might join them. Will Boston be the betting favourite to crush the East. Yes. But lurking below the surface is Irvings knee injury and Haywards ability to come off that horrific ankle / leg break and the sophomore jinx.

Philly… At this juncture post Day 1 Philly is likely worse than they were when the season ended. ALL their outside shooting has either left (Belly + Illyasova) or is in FA (Reddick). They could try to trade for Leonard and that vaults them to ECF favourite and they can re up JJ but if the Spurs decide to keep their powder dry the Philly media fueled march to world domination has some speed bumps. And in other news part time superstar and Twitter maven Joel Embiid turns 12 this year.

Indy…. So far no changes to the Pacers other than McBuckets. He helps and they still have cap space but have also seen Thad Young opt out. A playoff team for sure but so far.. but to me anyway ... no impact moves to get materially better and as of right now with no Thad..they are not as good as last year.

Wiz. The Wiz .. Sacramento east in terms of drama.....The Wiz finished 8th and are likely worse now than they were last year. They traded their starting C Gortat for Austin “The Dick” Rivers at the behest of John Wall. Unless they find another C Ian Mahini starts and the Wiz have no Cap space. Cousins may be an option but they would have to move Otto Porter in a trade IF Boogie signs in NO. Boogie could also sign in LA. Yep.. its Yuuck in DC.

Milwaukee…. has a new coach and so far Illyasova. Regardless of Ersan the Deer will finish better than 7th which they clocked in at this year. .. and if LBJ doesn’t come back… the Bucks will be in a fight for home court this year. They still have to decided on RFA Jabari Parker. My crystal ball says Jabari is going to Brooklyn or Sacto.

No one else got better. Orlando.. the Knicks.. the Hornets... Miami ... and the Bulls still suck. Atlanta is on a hard tank that could last years. Brooklyn is like a guy coming back from open heart surgery. One season at a time but the worst is over.

Which leaves the Raps. A 59 win team as of this posting that remains wholly intact. If Lebron signs in LA then the East changes complexion in such a way that Ujiri has to consider what he has and asks” is it good enough” to beat the Chowdas and Philly as currently assembled? Maybe on the Chowda’s .. easily right now with Philly. However its also a chance to take make a forward looking move or two with a trade of one of your two best players to shape the future of the club without having to endure a teardown. So as of right now…the Raps are still a home court playoff team in the East. As I have been thumping the tub for since mid May and that epic fail against the Cavs I hope MU makes a move with the Lakers for Ingram and Kuzma and the toxic Deng deal for DD and something else... or with Freddy in the fold... look if Minny would do a one for one for Kyle and Wiggins.

Only two shoes left to drop. Whats Boogie going to do in a tight money market and if the Spurs are offered the crown jewels by Philly for Leonard.
                                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jul 1, 2018, 12:08 PM.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X