• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    Where are you seeing this?
    Abbas

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Gasol is on an expiring deal. It’s not much of a favour to do them.

Like, how is taking on Norm’s long term salary and bringing in JV for him to bolt after a year if he’s good or eat cap for two years if he’s bad, an acceptable offer?

You don’t trade OG for Kawhi. Not worth the risk to the rebuild that’s coming except in the unlikely scenario we can convince Kawhi to re-sign long term.

Finally, that’s really not that nice a starting 5. One guy who is definitely not ready to be a starter (or definitely isn’t a C), another who might be but probably isn’t, three non-shooters... I can say with confidence Kawhi is a rental in that scenario.
      Pau is owed $6.7 million, he's not an outright expiring. I was just showing that a deal is possible without sending out DeMar.

"How is it an acceptable offer?" Because you yourself don't want to give up OG. That's the only thing that makes it acceptable. You have to give something to get something. You can't say it's a unacceptable offer and simultaneously say you don't want to give up OG for a rental; giving up OG is likely the only way to make an acceptable offer given that our picks are practically worthless. If they take Poeltl instead, hallelujah, but given what we know of their ask to date, it's unlikely.

Again, whether or not it's the right move depends on what you feel OG's ceiling is, but I'm saying it's narrow minded to think the only deal possible is shipping out DeMar.

Further, if DeMar is as terribly flawed as advertised here, it's unlikely that a smart organization like the Spurs takes him back in trade anyway. Don't you think they have an adequate grasp of NBA history to remember how badly the DeMar + Gay combo failed here in Toronto? Why would they duplicate that in sending out their franchise player, even if he is a distressed asset?

I honestly think the main reason you don't like that starting five is because it includes DeMar. Like it's nice to dream that getting rid of him will magically solve all our problems, but like the Memphis trade ideas, it's wishful thinking because everyone in the NBA knows his flaws just as well as we do.

Comment

Where are you seeing this?

some bs source
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

some bs source
          Yeah. That source is bad, and that trade doesn't even work under the cap.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Yeah. That source is bad, and that trade doesn't even work under the cap.
            Toss in Pau and it works. I'd take that deal. Rather swap OG for a different player on a rookie deal but I wouldn't blow up the deal over it. I'd assume we get their 2020 1st as extra compensation for including OG. Spurs might be kinda shitty in 2020 so could be a decent pick.

Kawhi and OG play the same position so I can see why Spurs want him in the deal and why we'd be willing to let him go. Just gotta convince Kawhi to stay and we're golden.

Seems like the trade market for Kawhi is extremely depressed because no one wants to risk him only staying a year. I think we should totally take that risk. Gives us a great shot at the Finals next year (and being somewhat competitive in the Finals). If Kawhi bolts after 1 year we trade Lowry and the rebuild is on.
            Last edited by Primer; Wed Jul 11, 2018, 09:47 PM.

Comment

The story is the trade market has become depressed enough it's let the Raptors get in. Which makes a lot of sense to me.
              True, though that presents a number of other situations to where if the prices lower, other teams might have more incentive to chime in.

I guess I just don't see our guys as enticing enough pieces overall in comparison with other plausible scenarios, because most of them seem to have lower ceilings than what you would expect in such a trade.

Unless you're talking DeRozan as is the most speculated scenario, and then the fan in me kinda winces a little bit because of optics, though I would definitely do it.

All personal opinion though. Fact is, it's getting hotter in here.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                Depends what the Spurs want. If they are want to take a step back and rebuild, then trading him to Boston would be best. If they still want to compete, then Derozan, an established all-star, is probably your best bet.

At the same time, the market for Leonard is shrinking, he would have been traded by now.
                This is all well said I would just say the following make a potential raptors offer attractive:

* Leonard’s value may be depressed and Boston and Philly’s young studs may be off the table.
                * Raps can offer an All NBA player, a prospect and a pick. Potentially giving spurs a bit of everything.
                * Raps are in a position to take on Gasol’s contract too. Derozan makes more than Leonard. I don’t see a lot off other teams taking on Gasol’s contract.
                * All else being equal Spurs would prefer to send him to the East.
                * Raps are likely at their ceiling status quo. If Kawhi walks in a year they are in a similar situation to if they run it back and choke in the playoffs. Time to rebuild. Lots of teams (Boston, Philly) won’t mortgage their future by trading youth for a potential rental. Raps are cyclically at the point where it’s more acceptable.

So...I agree it depends on what the spurs want. But increasingly it’s turning into what are other teams willing to give up. Philly and Boston can beat Raptors offers. But if they refuse to do so I think a raptors proposal can offer all of the above to the spurs.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                  Depends what the Spurs want. If they are want to take a step back and rebuild, then trading him to Boston would be best. If they still want to compete, then Derozan, an established all-star, is probably your best bet.

At the same time, the market for Leonard is shrinking, he would have been traded by now.
                  Our offer is the best because everyone is scared he will walk after one season. Boston and Philly don't wanna risk their future on a 1 year rental. Next year is our best chance at making the Finals in franchise history, it makes a lot more sense for us to take the risk, losing him in a year just speeds up the tank/rebuild since we've dumped Derozans salary already.

If Masai works his magic and Kawhi stays, we finally have our Superstar and Masai goes to work building around Kawhi and we all rejoice for years to come.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                    If I were Pop and I wanted to stick it to Leonard and his camp for royally fuking over the Spurs, what better team to trade him to than the one which American players least want to play for? Plus it's a different conference and plus Leonard being an LA kid probably hates the cold. And the universe would finally be paying us back for all these years of misery.
                    It’s just as cold in New York and in Boston and in Chicago and in Philadelphia in the winter too.

However the Raptors have one thing going for them that only one other team in the league has.
                    Canada legalizes weed on October 17th , 2018.Just in time for the regular season.

And if you ever have taken more than a passing look at Kawhi Leonard... this is the face of a guy who looks like he really likes to smoke. Just look at those eyes man.... Jeff Spicoli eyes from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Jul 11, 2018, 10:07 PM.
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

• With marijuana legalization coming to Ontario prior to the start of the season, I'd guess that teams (including the Raptors) are going to have to sit down with their players and put in place a policy etc with regards to marijuana use - especially for teams with a quick turnaround in Toronto.

I haven't flown in an NBA private charter, so don't know all the procedures at the border for them in particular - but can see a case where a border agent asks a player if they've smoked weed, and they'd answer "Yes - isn't it legal?" or some such - which then prompts searches, delays etc.

It's one of the things I have seen mentioned, but not discussed in detail, with the pending legalization, even for us non-private charter folks. If you partake, and cross the border, what to say etc

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        Pau is owed $6.7 million, he's not an outright expiring. I was just showing that a deal is possible without sending out DeMar.

"How is it an acceptable offer?" Because you yourself don't want to give up OG. That's the only thing that makes it acceptable. You have to give something to get something. You can't say it's a unacceptable offer and simultaneously say you don't want to give up OG for a rental; giving up OG is likely the only way to make an acceptable offer given that our picks are practically worthless. If they take Poeltl instead, hallelujah, but given what we know of their ask to date, it's unlikely.

Again, whether or not it's the right move depends on what you feel OG's ceiling is, but I'm saying it's narrow minded to think the only deal possible is shipping out DeMar.

Further, if DeMar is as terribly flawed as advertised here, it's unlikely that a smart organization like the Spurs takes him back in trade anyway. Don't you think they have an adequate grasp of NBA history to remember how badly the DeMar + Gay combo failed here in Toronto? Why would they duplicate that in sending out their franchise player, even if he is a distressed asset?

I honestly think the main reason you don't like that starting five is because it includes DeMar. Like it's nice to dream that getting rid of him will magically solve all our problems, but like the Memphis trade ideas, it's wishful thinking because everyone in the NBA knows his flaws just as well as we do.
                        I’m not saying SA would accept the DeMar offer. I’m saying it’s the only one I think they’d even consider accepting that the Raptors should also consider offering.

The main reason I don’t like that starting 5 is because in both options there’s no starting C there, and only maybe a starting PF. DeMar being there is third on the list of problems, though it certainly is on the list, with his poor fit beside Kawhi.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• You don't trade for Kawhi to have him play OG's role. If you trade for Kawhi and keep DeMar, that's what you're doing.
                          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

some bs source
                            Yeah BS source as also BS trade. That doesn't even work salary-wise. Personally, I'd say if they want OG, take a hike. The whole point of getting Leonard is to pair him with OG to have a wing defence like we've never had before. That trade actually makes us kinda weak, and the only way leonard would consider staying is if we make the finals. Switch OG for our 2019 pick instead, and have Gasol coming back instead of their 2020 pick, and not only is the deal more balanced, but it also works in terms of salary.

Comment

You don't trade for Kawhi to have him play OG's role. If you trade for Kawhi and keep DeMar, that's what you're doing.
                              I like Demar, but I agree. If Kawhi comes, Derozan needs to go. Kawhi can score the same amount of points as Derozan and still play terrific defense. Derozan isn't the type of player you want as a #1 or #2 option on a championship team.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                I’m not saying SA would accept the DeMar offer. I’m saying it’s the only one I think they’d even consider accepting that the Raptors should also consider offering.

The main reason I don’t like that starting 5 is because in both options there’s no starting C there, and only maybe a starting PF. DeMar being there is third on the list of problems, though it certainly is on the list, with his poor fit beside Kawhi.
                                Barolt wrote: View Post
                                You don't trade for Kawhi to have him play OG's role. If you trade for Kawhi and keep DeMar, that's what you're doing.
                                Well if he actually gets here... its going to be a really nice problem to have as to who he plays with.

This move... again if its more than just twitter killing time and blowing smoke...... Opens the window a LOT wider... but its open for one season instead of two if he walks at the end of the season.

Demar + Poeltl + 2019 first for Leonard +Gasols expiring and the Spurs 2021 1st protected 1 to 8.
                                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X