This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Yeah, we get it, we are disagreeing with your assessment that Kawhi would be more likely to stay, because DeMar's poor fit beside Kawhi may leave the team with less on-court success than otherwise, making Kawhi less likely, not more likely, to stay.
    Except they wouldn't have less on-court success. The team would be a better version of the team we had last year with better coaching and easily win 55-60 games if not more in the Leastern Conference. And give Boston a real challenge to go to the finals.

Unless you think the team with the DeRozan trade is somehow guaranteed to beat Boston or something, I don't really get that argument.

Comment

I don't understand what you are saying then. Barolt says that the Cavs ignored DD off the ball, and sent a lot of help at Lowry and JV. You say "well, let them try that with Kawhi on the ball." And I say... yeah? They will definitely keep doing that and that will definitely be a problem, just like it was against the Cavs?
      Don't really remember that happening a lot in the series but ok.

Comment

• Oh also thought I'd mention the USA Basketball connection with DeMar.

EDIT: Guys around the league talk. I remember listening to a talk from an NBA GM where he was explaining how you need a guy with a "seat at the table" to even be privy to what goes on in those discussions. Could be really risky having Kawhi being worked over by other guys over the summer while we have no one involved in those discussions of our own.

That stuff matters as well.
        Last edited by Shaolin Fantastic; Mon Jul 16, 2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
          Except they wouldn't have less on-court success. The team would be a better version of the team we had last year with better coaching and easily win 55-60 games if not more in the Leastern Conference. And give Boston a real challenge to go to the finals.

Unless you think the team with the DeRozan trade is somehow guaranteed to beat Boston or something, I don't really get that argument.
          Okay, yes, so it's obvious where we differ. Easy enough to understand the opposition to your point now, right?
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Don't really remember that happening a lot in the series but ok.
            Practically every play DeMar was off ball.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Practically every play DeMar was off ball.
              No I mean I don't really remember the Cavs throwing multiple help defenders at Lowry and JV.

Comment

No I mean I don't really remember the Cavs throwing multiple help defenders at Lowry and JV.
                Yeah, I know. I'm saying it happened practically every time DeMar was off the ball. The paint was jam packed.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Okay, yes, so it's obvious where we differ. Easy enough to understand the opposition to your point now, right?
                  I've understood the opposition the whole time. I was referring to Barolt earlier, not you, you're not the same person (in fact I wasn't even talking to you until just these last few posts).

Comment

• Is Kawhi a crip anybody know? Maybe then Derozan will help us keep him in Toronto
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I've understood the opposition the whole time. I was referring to Barolt earlier, not you, you're not the same person (in fact I wasn't even talking to you until just these last few posts).
                      Yeah, I know, I couldn't help but jump in when you seemed to think DeMar being zero off ball threat at all wouldn't matter because... Kawhi?
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The way I see it the chance of resigning Kawhi without DeMar on the team is effectively zero. Whereas with DeMar, because of the relationship that could be cultivated there, I think the chance is higher. I actually think that's part of the reason why he's not staying in San Antonio. There's no star there around the same age who he can relate to and is known as being a great guy to be around.

You might argue that a DeMar-Kawhi pairing is sub-optimal on the floor, but either way Lowry/DeMar/Kawhi/OG/Ibaka is a pretty nasty closing lineup (would probably start Poeltl) and a legit contender to get to the finals. Not to mention that there are also issues that JV presents as well as a starter or key player, that's not just exclusive to DeRozan.

I still think a DeRozan deal might be preferred by the Spurs, but remembering that they had a lot of interest in JV previously (plus he really is a Spurs type player) makes me think they may actually really like a package built around him instead.

Comment

Yeah, I know, I couldn't help but jump in when you seemed to think DeMar being zero off ball threat at all wouldn't matter because... Kawhi?
                          - DeMar isn't zero threat off the ball
                          - Basketball isn't so simple that you can only play one guy who's better with the ball at a time
                          - No, Kawhi doesn't just override every problem

Comment

• Is OG Anunoby a threat off the ball?

Comment

- DeMar isn't zero threat off the ball
                              - Basketball isn't so simple that you can only play one guy who's better with the ball at a time
                              - No, Kawhi doesn't just override every problem
                              - Evidence would suggest otherwise
                              - Agreed. Lots of players are compatible in that way. These two, not so much.
                              - Agreed.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Is OG Anunoby a threat off the ball?
                                Absolutely, more so than DeMar. And at the very least, he provides significant value on the defensive end if his limited shooting (which was far and away better than anything DeMar has managed off ball in his career) does hurt your spacing on the offensive end.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X