X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    I suspect Jimmy is just looking to get paid. So if Masai offered him a 5 year, $190M max he'd stay. But that's a big risk. Guy is constantly injured, he just turned 29, so he'll be 30 when his extension kicks in. It's a big commitment, and it would completely mess up Masai's plan B (which is to rebuild in case Kawhi leaves).

But he is a top 15-20 talent.. and those are really hard to find. Teams like Orlando, Sacramento, Phoenix, etc are still trying to find those guys and they've been in the lottery for what seems like forever.
    For me, it's the same situation as DeRozan. At 29, do you want to pay him a max contract, and then pay him again when he hits 33/34 years of age? Both players are also second-tier players in my eyes that don't push you over the hump.

... they're not Kawhi Leonard.

Leave a comment:

• A.I
    replied
    Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Yes we should only trade for Butler for minimal. OG & Pascal are too important and I think we need to look at this group playing together for a few months to see what is working first.
    I think you keep them for the sole purpose of having some good future talent in case Kawhi leaves.

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    I don't see us getting involved. I think Jimmy will be too expensive in the long run. And I don't think Masai wants to give up some our vets unless its a crap offer like Serge+CJ or something. And with so many teams interested in Jimmy that's really doubtful.

If we do get involved it might have to be a guy like Lowry that makes our package better than anyone else's.
    Yes we should only trade for Butler for minimal. OG & Pascal are too important and I think we need to look at this group playing together for a few months to see what is working first.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    I think we would literally have already gotten Jimmy butler...if we didnt have Kawhi Leonard

The risks have been outlined by others. I'm comfortable marching in with the soldiers we have

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Jimmy gets injured alot because it could be partially wherever he goes, he is asked to be the number 1 guy each and everytime. On the Raptors he would be the number 2 or 3 guy, more relaxed and less demands and stress on the body. Last 5 seasons Jimmy avg about 37 minutes per night. Coach Thibs is just brutal at that department.
    His max is $190M for 5 years, which averages out to $38M a year. Really expensive get. That's what John Wall is going to be making for example. When a guy who's not in the top 10 but is still good is getting that much.. it can really screw your franchise over. If Kawhi leaves, Jimmy will be the #1 guy and we could be stuck in the mud with him.. kind of like the Wizards are now with Wall.

I wouldn't trade Lowry for Butler, all of the sudden Butler becomes the leader and barking orders at Kawhi and the rest of the team?! Nah Lowry is still one of the main guys on the team.
    I don't see us getting involved. I think Jimmy will be too expensive in the long run. And I don't think Masai wants to give up some our vets unless its a crap offer like Serge+CJ or something. And with so many teams interested in Jimmy that's really doubtful.

If we do get involved it might have to be a guy like Lowry that makes our package better than anyone else's.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    For the sake of argument, let's say Lowry's a top 30 player, and Butler's a top 15 player.

That marginal increase in talent isn't worth the risk when you factor in the decrease from a familiarity/camaraderie point of view. I mean, we're talking about the heart and soul of the #WeTheNorth era, here.
    Also a rental. Kawhi was top 5 player which is a huge incremental improvement over not just a top 30 player, but even a top 15 player

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    For the sake of argument, let's say Lowry's a top 30 player, and Butler's a top 15 player.

That marginal increase in talent isn't worth the risk when you factor in the decrease from a familiarity/camaraderie point of view. I mean, we're talking about the heart and soul of the #WeTheNorth era, here.
    I wouldn't trade Lowry for Butler, all of the sudden Butler becomes the leader and barking orders at Kawhi and the rest of the team?! Nah Lowry is still one of the main guys on the team.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    I suspect Jimmy is just looking to get paid. So if Masai offered him a 5 year, $190M max he'd stay. But that's a big risk. Guy is constantly injured, he just turned 29, so he'll be 30 when his extension kicks in. It's a big commitment, and it would completely mess up Masai's plan B (which is to rebuild in case Kawhi leaves).

But he is a top 15-20 talent.. and those are really hard to find. Teams like Orlando, Sacramento, Phoenix, etc are still trying to find those guys and they've been in the lottery for what seems like forever.
    Jimmy gets injured alot because it could be partially wherever he goes, he is asked to be the number 1 guy each and everytime. On the Raptors he would be the number 2 or 3 guy, more relaxed and less demands and stress on the body. Last 5 seasons Jimmy avg about 37 minutes per night. Coach Thibs is just brutal at that department.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    When it comes to fit and impact, there really aren’t many other guys that you’d want over Kyle. Very few. I think in this specific case, Jimmy isn’t worth the risk. It sucks, because he’s one of my favourite players. But the fit is questionable at best whereas the makeup of the team right now is almost perfect.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    Top 20-30? I think it’s worth just sticking with Kyle. I’m not sure anything else we offer is accepted by Minny

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    saints91 wrote: View Post
    Where does Kyle rank?
    It varies wildly. I'd allow anything between 12 and 36. And no I'm not joking. (The truth is probably 20th~)

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    Where does Kyle rank?

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    saints91 wrote: View Post
    The more I look at it, I don’t want Butler. I think having 2 players that have publicly stated they want to be in specific places (that aren’t Toronto) next season could backfire.

It’s better to surround Kawhi with our young core who loves being here. Danny, and Moose seem to be happy, Kyle may be slightly disgruntled right now but I think once he starts playing and winning he’ll be fine.

We’re battling for the east and well equiped. We almost have too much depth and some guys may not get on the court. I’m hoping Siakam and OG get enough time.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    The more I look at it, I don’t want Butler. I think having 2 players that have publicly stated they want to be in specific places (that aren’t Toronto) next season could backfire.

It’s better to surround Kawhi with our young core who loves being here. Danny, and Moose seem to be happy, Kyle may be slightly disgruntled right now but I think once he starts playing and winning he’ll be fine.

We’re battling for the east and well equiped. We almost have too much depth and some guys may not get on the court. I’m hoping Siakam and OG get enough time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X