This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    What are these ton of great young pieces you speak? With the exception of OG, I don't see any of the young guys being huge difference makers in the future. Boston and Philly have way better youngsters compared to us.
    You should read up on siakam more.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      We can't even play Lowry for too many minutes in regular season or he will breakdown.
      I think we’ll be ok in that regard with FVV and DW. Just have to have an 82 game plan with minutes target and rotations.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
        maybe as an Assistant for awhile. Or he could end up like another COY, Sam Mitchell who's just annoying on the TV now ....
        DC Sam Mitchell Kevin O’Neill — other than Jay Triano are there any other previous Raptor HC’s that subsequently got a head coaching job after leaving Toronto?

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Doesn't have the offensive talent to be a star.
          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I don't think the idea that Ujiri has backed the team in a corner that limits their options to get out is very fair. You don't commit to a really good team with the idea that you can easily slip out of it if it doesn't meet expectations a year after you make those commitments. It just doesn't work that way. There's risk, and you have to make a decision to either go all in on the group you have if you think they can challenge the best, or let guys go. And for the vast majority of this season, it looked like a pretty good strategy to pay Lowry and Ibaka and let the young guys get some burn. I don't regret Ujiri following that path. I think it was the right move, and makes alot of sense given the success of the team prior, the increased recognition of the team around the league, and the fact that it's still a business whose purpose is to make money.

Comment

All Siakam needs to be a reasonable offensive talent is a reliable jumper. He's got good court vision and knows how to pass, he's one of the fastest players in the league, and his handles aren't top-level but they're good enough to get by given his other talents (and it's something he can work on). He still needs to put on some more muscle but that's a long-term project and it's clear he's not slacking in that regard.

Whether Siakam CAN develop a reliable jump shot is an open question, but if he can, there's a good argument for him becoming a star player.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                  I don't think the idea that Ujiri has backed the team in a corner that limits their options to get out is very fair. You don't commit to a really good team with the idea that you can easily slip out of it if it doesn't meet expectations a year after you make those commitments. It just doesn't work that way. There's risk, and you have to make a decision to either go all in on the group you have if you think they can challenge the best, or let guys go. And for the vast majority of this season, it looked like a pretty good strategy to pay Lowry and Ibaka and let the young guys get some burn. I don't regret Ujiri following that path. I think it was the right move, and makes alot of sense given the success of the team prior, the increased recognition of the team around the league, and the fact that it's still a business whose purpose is to make money.
                  I don't think they're backed into a corner at all. Their options are not that bad, except that just for this summer, they are possibly quite limited. It will be hard to find an attractive deal for Ibaka, and possibly even Lowry. Next summer they become large expiring contracts and their value changes. And if the team underperforms but both guys play well next year, they can be shopped mid-season.

The only change I think absolutely has to happen is getting rid of Casey. I'm ok with promoting internally, or just about any decision that doesn't involve bringing in a re-tread like Mike Brown or something.

If it doesn't pan out with the same group, you can blow up the team and trade away the vets next summer, keeping just a few young pieces. You'll have another year of evaluation, so some of those young pieces might have clearer ceilings and you might be more comfortable attaching them to deals if you want to chase a big star (*cough* Giannis *cough* Milwaukee's a shitty team that can never retain stars *cough*).

I still wouldn't mind if Masai started gauging value for his big money guys now, though. I'm sure he'll do his due diligence, just to see if it's worth making a riskier move (whether to compete or tank) and trade away DeMar or Lowry. I'd like him to trade Ibaka either way, but I have a hard time seeing us improve the PF spot through that kind of trade, and don't think he'll bring back in particularly great "rebuild" value. But yeah, it's fine keeping them with a new voice, roll into next year and see how things go.

Comment

• yeah, if you could move Ibaka while improving at that position that would be ideal. But Ibaka is certainly the most difficult contract to move, and seems unlikely it could be done without losing something of value.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      We can't even play Lowry for too many minutes in regular season or he will breakdown.
                      Lowry played the 31st most total minutes in the league this year. That's not exactly restrictive for a team.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Is there anyone on Phoenix other than Booker who might be a good pick up for the Raptors? They have so many young players and might make a good trading partner.

Comment

• Phoenix has a pile of extra picks. But I'd be surprised if they were in on DeMar.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            Is there anyone on Phoenix other than Booker who might be a good pick up for the Raptors? They have so many young players and might make a good trading partner.
                            Not sure I want anything they have. Booker and Jackson are probably untouchable. The rest of what they got all look like raw/flawed young talents.

If you trade with them, you're almost definitely tanking, not retooling, and aiming for picks and one or two of those flawed young players. And most likely trading DeMar, because I have no clue why they'd want Ibaka or Lowry.

Comment

• No Casey and Masai exit interviews
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Young talent can be developed if there is something to work with. Could they be interested in Norm for a pick and one of their redundant players? Chandler has got to be close to retirement, would they want Bebe? I hope we can acquire a pick for the draft

Comment

Working...
                                X