This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    You aren't trading out $90 million in salary and getting nothing back though.
    Yes you'll get salary back. That's why I don't mind your Parsons trade in a rebuild. (Although I think a team like Atlanta would take JV into cap space tbh).

If you can get something like Covington/Fultz for Lowry that's not bad either.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
      Well, if you think DeMar provides very little value to the team, then yes, the Parsons deal is a good deal - because then Demar is basically a useless salary anyways.

I happen to not think that.
      See, this is why this is a complicated discussion.

DeMar doesn't provide 'very little value'. DeMar's value might be replaceable though, but that's hard to know when he's on the team, because he eats a lot of offensive possessions which makes it harder to know how much other guys could absorb if he wasn't there.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        The Parsons deal is only two seasons... It's not that bad when you talk about dead salary.

But if we are trading DeMar AND taking back dead salary, I'd be wanting more than one pick, even a really good one, in return. Unfortunately, MEM isn't really in a position to trade other 1st round picks. They won't want to trade Brooks, who was good for them last year.

Hmm. DeMar and Powell for Parsons, MEM 1st 2018, MEM 2nd 2018 and one of their minimum salaries works at the draft, if the Raps want out of that Powell deal. Though if they are moving DeMar they probably want to keep Powell. Still, saves the Raps a lot of money next year, leaves MEM a little shy of the tax, and gives them a star and a potential contributor while ridding them of two years of dead weight. Not sure MEM goes for it.

DAL is a far easier pitch, DeMar for Matthews and their pick. No salary retention, decent piece for next year that could be flipped at the deadline for assets. DAL has the cap room to make it work.
        Yeah that Dallas trade is pure money.

And even though I don't want to retool, it would at least leave the possibility open for either since Matthews is actually a good 3+D SG (although he's fallen off a bit), and would still have value at the deadline as an expiring as well.

EDIT: I could also see Dallas doing that as well then going after Cousins or maybe even DJ again in free agency to give Dirk a final run in the playoffs.

Comment

• Any Fultz trade pretty much has to wait until mid July.

They’ll try using him as trade bait for Kawhi.

Then will try to use their cap space for Lebron/PG.

If they land Kawhi there goes our trade, and if they don’t, wed essentially need them to land a star in free agency in order for them to go for it.

If they don’t land a star first, a trade for Lowry is highly doubtful.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
            Ideally you open up cap space BEFORE you have to resign the young guys, so we can add a star through free agency and then use bird rights to sign our young guys.
            Well, that's easy. Just don't trade anyone. Assuming DD opts out of his player option, in summer 2020 we have 46M committed (including a MLE salary for FVV this summer). Add a salary for Wright (say, $10M), and that leaves about $55M in cap space that summer (with a cap projection of roughly $110M, meaning a supermax salary would be $38.5M), minus a few million for a draft pick or two.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The Parsons deal is only two seasons... It's not that bad when you talk about dead salary.

But if we are trading DeMar AND taking back dead salary, I'd be wanting more than one pick, even a really good one, in return. Unfortunately, MEM isn't really in a position to trade other 1st round picks. They won't want to trade Brooks, who was good for them last year.

Hmm. DeMar and Powell for Parsons, MEM 1st 2018, MEM 2nd 2018 and one of their minimum salaries works at the draft, if the Raps want out of that Powell deal. Though if they are moving DeMar they probably want to keep Powell. Still, saves the Raps a lot of money next year, leaves MEM a little shy of the tax, and gives them a star and a potential contributor while ridding them of two years of dead weight. Not sure MEM goes for it.

DAL is a far easier pitch, DeMar for Matthews and their pick. No salary retention, decent piece for next year that could be flipped at the deadline for assets. DAL has the cap room to make it work.
              Dallas is also a lot less likely than Memphis to want to make that trade though.

I don't mind that Memphis trade if Masai is basically deciding he's going to tear down and this is the start of it - and wants to keep the Raptors out of the tax for next year and basically throw away the next two years as transition for the young guys and re-evaluate from there.

To me, it's an overreaction from the Cleveland series and a quick trigger on shutting down your three year window that, realistically, you were ahead of schedule on. And from that perspective I doubt it's what we're going to see. but if Masai had a major change of heart and is really done with this core, it's not the worst idea in the world.
              That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Any Fultz trade pretty much has to wait until mid July.

They’ll try using him as trade bait for Kawhi.

Then will try to use their cap space for Lebron/PG.

If they land Kawhi there goes our trade, and if they don’t, wed essentially need them to land a star in free agency in order for them to go for it.

If they don’t land a star first, a trade for Lowry is highly doubtful.
                I expect the Kawhi nonsense will be at the draft, and the LeBron stuff sorted within a week in July. Meaning hopefully that trade would be available as early as around the Carroll/CoJo trades last year. But yes, it's always been a July proposal.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Hm. Didn’t realize DJ had a player option for next year.

24M and not too many teams with cap space makes me think he’ll pick it up, but he does seem like he wants out of LA.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                    Dallas is also a lot less likely than Memphis to want to make that trade though.

I don't mind that Memphis trade if Masai is basically deciding he's going to tear down and this is the start of it - and wants to keep the Raptors out of the tax for next year and basically throw away the next two years as transition for the young guys and re-evaluate from there.

To me, it's an overreaction from the Cleveland series and a quick trigger on shutting down your three year window that, realistically, you were ahead of schedule on. And from that perspective I doubt it's what we're going to see. but if Masai had a major change of heart and is really done with this core, it's not the worst idea in the world.
                    Are they? The Mavs were pretty clear about racing to the bottom just the once and getting back in the game - and the quickest way to do that is to trade the pick for an established star. I think they really like Smith Jr, Powell and Barnes, and think Nowitzki still has some run in him.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I expect the Kawhi nonsense will be at the draft, and the LeBron stuff sorted within a week in July. Meaning hopefully that trade would be available as early as around the Carroll/CoJo trades last year. But yes, it's always been a July proposal.
                      It's weirdly in our best interest for Philly to get LeBron because he would definitely push for a move like acquiring Kyle.

Comment

• A trade that will almost certainly be available if we want it is something around Ibaka for Ryan Anderson.

Doesn’t shed money for either team, but it could be worthwhile if the raptors believe Siakam is ready to start.

Who knows, Houston might even throw in a pick.

Comment

Well, that's easy. Just don't trade anyone. Assuming DD opts out of his player option, in summer 2020 we have 46M committed (including a MLE salary for FVV this summer). Add a salary for Wright (say, $10M), and that leaves about $55M in cap space that summer (with a cap projection of roughly $110M, meaning a supermax salary would be $38.5M), minus a few million for a draft pick or two.
                          Not bad.

That’s a TOUGH sell for a free agent unless one of our picks turns out to have some kind of star potential though.

Comment

• Also isn’t the supermax only available from the team you were previously on?

A free agent can’t get a supermax from any team that has the money can they?

Comment

Are they? The Mavs were pretty clear about racing to the bottom just the once and getting back in the game - and the quickest way to do that is to trade the pick for an established star. I think they really like Smith Jr, Powell and Barnes, and think Nowitzki still has some run in him.
                              Sure but why not combine that with Bamba or whoever they like at number 5, and then they have a core that they like all on similar timelines (Barnes a little ahead). And Dallas' problem is that only Smith really has All Star potential, and even then it's only a maybe. Adding DeMar to that core gives them probably a peak of ... the current Toronto Raptors.
                              That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

No thanks on that Gallo trade.

Bradley and their 2 1sts is more intriguing, but doesn’t solve our problem.

Our goal should be a championship, to get that we need superstars.

Trading away one of our biggest assets for an above average player and 2 late lottery picks is not a good way of landing superstar talent. Yes you can luck into a Donovan Mitchell, but the odds are very low, and if you happen to miss on that you are now strapped with a missed opportunity.
                                This is where I disagree. Raps will never get a top 3 pick for anything on their roster. I would consider a trade for the 4th or 5th pick if you really like someone there, but after the top 3 its normally a crapshoot and quantity is more important. In the last 7 drafts top 5 NBA players in the 12-15 range are Kawhi and Giannis, Potential All Star players include Booker and Mitchell. There is literally one year in that time where a player that good was selected in the 4-7 range (Porzingis) (Admittedly I could see someone from last years draft in that range stepping into a really good player). Still, I would suggest that late lotto picks are undervalued, and history says the marginal value in having a couple more guys to choose from is less important than getting to choose 2 players

Comment

Working...
                                X