This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
    You really think Lowry's that much better than Demar that without Demar we'll still be competitive, but without Lowry we don't have a chance?
    This is what all the evidence would indicate, and what I believe as well.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
      Yeah I'm not sure a $33 million expiring for a Lowry who'd be 34 in the 2020 playoffs is going to get us much of anything. It'll be hard enough finding matching salary for that, let alone anyone with cap space.
      As hard as it would be to find a taker for what you describe, anyone trading for him now is also signing up for exactly that, just with an extra year added on the front, and if you just replace 34 and 2020 with 33 and 2019 with the same tone it sounds just as bad. Meanwhile, there will be a LOT more cap room floating around in 2019, and a lot of big expirings from the madness of the summer of 2016 around the league to salary match with.

Meanwhile, the suggestion above that there are teams now who would prefer Lowry to an unknown young piece, but that next summer there would not be, in spite of there being more flexibility cap wise and less risk taking on Lowry as a rental, doesn’t make much sense to me.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
        You really think Lowry's that much better than Demar that without Demar we'll still be competitive, but without Lowry we don't have a chance?
        Yes. Lowry impacts the team in more ways than Derozan does.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          As hard as it would be to find a taker for what you describe, anyone trading for him now is also signing up for exactly that, just with an extra year added on the front, and if you just replace 34 and 2020 with 33 and 2019 with the same tone it sounds just as bad. Meanwhile, there will be a LOT more cap room floating around in 2019, and a lot of big expirings from the madness of the summer of 2016 around the league to salary match with.

Meanwhile, the suggestion above that there are teams now who would prefer Lowry to an unknown young piece, but that next summer there would not be, in spite of there being more flexibility cap wise and less risk taking on Lowry as a rental, doesn’t make much sense to me.
          If your of the opinion that Lowry needs to go this year and not next then a team with right now aspirations with a below average PG, a coach who loves vets and has a redundant player who makes about the same amount of money is the Timberpups.

And no it’s not Jimmy Butler that’s in the doghouse right now.

It’s an option...a risk for both sides. Lowry is nearing the end of a very productive career and Wiggins has to decide if he wants to have one.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
            If your of the opinion that Lowry needs to go this year and not next then a team with right now aspirations with a below average PG, a coach who loves vets and has a redundant player who makes about the same amount of money is the Timberpups.

And no it’s not Jimmy Butler that’s in the doghouse right now.

It’s an option...a risk for both sides. Lowry is nearing the end of a very productive career and Wiggins has to decide if he wants to have one.
            I don't think Lowry makes much sense for the Wolves, with them having Teague locked up still, as we can't take both Wiggins and Teague back (unless they take Serge too). But sure. Just like with the DeMar deal though, I'd be wanted some picks coming along with Wiggins since you are taking on the long term risk of that contract.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I don't think Lowry makes much sense for the Wolves, with them having Teague locked up still, as we can't take both Wiggins and Teague back (unless they take Serge too). But sure. Just like with the DeMar deal though, I'd be wanted some picks coming along with Wiggins since you are taking on the long term risk of that contract.
              Did you watch Teagues litany of bad decisions and turnovers choke down the stretch and in the playoffs for the Pups ? Think Tommy T has him deeper in the doghouse than Wiggins.

If your going to sell....sell high ...and after that epic choke against the NewLooks its time to sell high on one or of both Kyle and DD. Both players with ~ 10 years in the league are on the downslope. Not far ...but it’s started.

Where you and I differ is your view to take future value in draft picks. More risk...and hard to quantify higher potential returns..but a solid strategy. I’m in the camp of trying to acquire younger players who have potential and a bit of a track record in the league already who either aren’t working out or are deemed to be collateral damage in the rush to build the latest super team. It’s less risky and within spitting distance of returns.

3 days to see what the Teflon GM does....or doesn’t do.
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Jun 19, 2018, 10:13 AM.
              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
              - TGO

Comment

I could see value in that for Minny, Lowry and Teague could share a lot of minutes with Butler at SF. Depends how win-now desperate Minny gets. Maybe quite desperate, given rumblings re: KAT discontent. They may be on the brink of losing that whole team.

I'm not sure Masai targets Wiggins though. MU's brought in a lot of hard working, high character guys. He also prefers guys who play at both ends of the floor. Wiggins has the tools but is not very good defensively right now.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  I could see value in that for Minny, Lowry and Teague could share a lot of minutes with Butler at SF. Depends how win-now desperate Minny gets. Maybe quite desperate, given rumblings re: KAT discontent. They may be on the brink of losing that whole team.

I'm not sure Masai targets Wiggins though. MU's brought in a lot of hard working, high character guys. He also prefers guys who play at both ends of the floor. Wiggins has the tools but is not very good defensively right now.
                  Yeah, but if the Raptors do decide to tear it down, and the top draft pick offers are not there to be had, the following three deals could make sense assuming the interest would be there from the other side (I'm not certain of that for any of these deals).

DeRozan to Clippers for Gallo, Wes Johnson, 12 and 13.
                  Lowry to Wolves for Wiggins, 20 and 2019 MIN 1st
                  Ibaka, Wright and Poeltl to NYK for Noah, 9
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I’d prefer, Tobias Harris, sign and trade for a Avery Bradly and 11th pick. They might have to agree on this trade at the draft and wait until free agency starts to get the deal done. I don’t know if that is kosher or not.

Comment

• I like Ibaka to the kings for a future second. They have the space after July 1st and they really just need solid. Estefan’s around their rookies at this point.

Comment

• I can understand trading Lowry in a mini-rebuild, if DeMar is also on the way out. But the only reason you trade Lowry is to turn the offense over to younger guys and develop them, and you can't do that with DeMar still on the roster.
                        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Wait, what do you expect to get for Lowry next summer?

This is a unique situation because there's a couple of playoff teams with lottery picks this year, and a team like LAC with a couple of picks. It is also clearly not being perceived as the strongest draft. These are also teams that may look to make a splash through trade because they are capped out or trying to save cap room for other pieces.

Next year there may not be a good enough team in the lottery that would think 1 year of Lowry will be a big difference maker, especially if he shows any deterioration. And lotto teams that are in a slower building process will not look to add that kind of asset. Teams may also value the next draft more.

Basically Lowry probably shouldn't be able to get you a lottery pick at this point in his career, but this may be a unique opportunity to make that trade this season. Otherwise you're probably just looking at cap relief and probably less prized player assets (later draft picks, underperforming young players, veteran role players, etc.).

Teams with cap space next summer that are trying to compete may not have choice assets. Teams with space that don't want to compete have no reason to give up assets for a 1 year rental of Lowry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• And Lowry is a tough one. I can see the Cavs, Jazz, bucks, SAN Antonio, and a couple other teams being logical spots not sure what we can get back in return.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                              I can understand trading Lowry in a mini-rebuild, if DeMar is also on the way out. But the only reason you trade Lowry is to turn the offense over to younger guys and develop them, and you can't do that with DeMar still on the roster.
                              Agreed in general, but if you can get a lottery pick for a targeted player in a Lowry deal, I think you might have to pull the trigger even if you don't have a deal in place for DeMar as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, but if the Raptors do decide to tear it down, and the top draft pick offers are not there to be had, the following three deals could make sense assuming the interest would be there from the other side (I'm not certain of that for any of these deals).

DeRozan to Clippers for Gallo, Wes Johnson, 12 and 13.
                                Lowry to Wolves for Wiggins, 20 and 2019 MIN 1st
                                Ibaka, Wright and Poeltl to NYK for Noah, 9
                                Another way to look at trade partners could be..... which NBA GMs are on the hot seat to win now?. Thibs has to be at the top of that list.

Comment

Working...
                                X