Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don’t get that three way deal. Dallas is giving up a top 5 pick to get Matthews’ expiring off their books?

DAJ is likely to opt out of his deal and be a free agent this summer. Dallas can just sign him.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      I don’t get that three way deal. Dallas is giving up a top 5 pick to get Matthews’ expiring off their books?

DAJ is likely to opt out of his deal and be a free agent this summer. Dallas can just sign him.
      Will there actually be *more* capspace out there this summer rather than next summer? I thought there wasn't all that much capspace, especially once marquee names are signed. (I also saw the timing of Charlotte's Howard deal as getting a jump on the Cap Space musical chairs which are likely to leave some teams unable to get below the tax line.)

Maybe there's more available cap space out there than I thought?

Comment

• Woj is reporting that LA has bought the Bulls' second-rounder (#39) from Philly (who had previously traded for it) for cash.

The Lakers already have #25 and #47; a second-rounder in between them is really kind of extraneous, considering they're going to be hunting big-name free agents this summer. This sounds to me like LA is buying trade (or sign-and-trade) assets.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
          Woj is reporting that LA has bought the Bulls' second-rounder (#39) from Philly (who had previously traded for it) for cash.

The Lakers already have #25 and #47; a second-rounder in between them is really kind of extraneous, considering they're going to be hunting big-name free agents this summer. This sounds to me like LA is buying trade (or sign-and-trade) assets.
          Can't be executed until July 6th, either, because Philly has already received $5.1m this year.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
            Will there actually be *more* capspace out there this summer rather than next summer? I thought there wasn't all that much capspace, especially once marquee names are signed. (I also saw the timing of Charlotte's Howard deal as getting a jump on the Cap Space musical chairs which are likely to leave some teams unable to get below the tax line.)

Maybe there's more available cap space out there than I thought?
            No, there will be very little cap space this summer, far more next summer.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Woj is reporting that LA has bought the Bulls' second-rounder (#39) from Philly (who had previously traded for it) for cash.

Hey Masai, get on the phone and buy a pick too!!

Comment

Maybe but someone else pointed out that they may just be looking to add cheap talent for the bench once they use the cap on free agents.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  Maybe but someone else pointed out that they may just be looking to add cheap talent for the bench once they use the cap on free agents.
                  Right now, if you assume that

1.) Julius Randle signs somewhere else (fairly likely); and
                  2.) The Lakers spend picks to trade away Luol Deng's contract;

in that event, they have Lonzo Ball, Brandan Ingram, Tyler Ennis, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, Ivica Zubac and Thomas Bryant under contract for a total of $21.1 million next year. That's seven players, the weakest of whom (Ennis and Bryant) are replacement-level players. Assuming Lonzo starts and everybody else is bench (and if the Lakers snag LeBron and one of either Paul George or Kawhi, then Ingram is probably bench or occasional smallball C), that gives you more than half your bench for a relative bargain price. The Lakers can sign LeBron and PG13 to max deals, get $18m worth of value for Deng's contract once they bribe someone with plentiful picks to send back even somebody half-decent, and then they sign a bunch of ring-chasing vets to minimum deals (which can exceed the cap) to round out the roster.

If the Lakers want LeBron, they don't get him by loading the bench up with more young players. He'll want vets.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                    Blow it up mode. 3-way trade.

To Clippers: Lowry, Derozan
                    To Dallas: DeAndre Jordan, Norman Powell
                    To Raptors: Tobias Harris, Gallo, Wes Matthews, LAC picks (#12 & #13), Mavs pick (#5)

Dallas is apparently really hot for DeAndre Jordan, so they can flip Matthews and a 1st round pick to get him and Powell (... Norm doesn't have to be in the deal to make it work).

If the Clips need a center, we could toss in Jakob and the deal still works.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yap6wx82
                    The clippers can’t trade deandre unless he opts in. Also the Mavs can just sign him outright in the summer so why would they do this?

Comment

They didn't buy a 2nd rounder. They traded a future 2nd (the 2019 Bulls' 2nd) AND cash for 39.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Lakers definitely gearing up for a trade or two.

Comment

• I mentioned it in the draft thread but it says a lot that the Cavs seem to have no interest in DeMar or Kyle for the #8 plus cap dumps. I mean the Cavs still think they can keep James. They're talking Kemba Walker. No rumors about Kyle or DeMar though beyond the fact that no one in the top ten wants them. I'm starting to conclude this will be a retool, not a rebuild.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            I mentioned it in the draft thread but it says a lot that the Cavs seem to have no interest in DeMar or Kyle for the #8 plus cap dumps. I mean the Cavs still think they can keep James. They're talking Kemba Walker. No rumors about Kyle or DeMar though beyond the fact that no one in the top ten wants them. I'm starting to conclude this will be a retool, not a rebuild.
                            Their cap situation hamstrings them....they are a repeater tax team... makes trading for an additional 30M or so per year untenable....it ain't pretty in Cleveland right now in the finance department.
                            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                            - TGO

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              I mentioned it in the draft thread but it says a lot that the Cavs seem to have no interest in DeMar or Kyle for the #8 plus cap dumps. I mean the Cavs still think they can keep James. They're talking Kemba Walker. No rumors about Kyle or DeMar though beyond the fact that no one in the top ten wants them. I'm starting to conclude this will be a retool, not a rebuild.
                              I just wonder if the proposals from Masai and the reason no one in the top 10 wants Kyle or Demar is that the offers are not "I will trade Kyle/ Demar for this pick and equivalent bad salary back", the offers are "I will trade Kyle and Demar for this pick and lesser salary back into your cap space". Because what I've heard is no one wants those salaries, which - if you're trading equivalent salary away probably wouldn't be seen as quite as much of an issue.
                              That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                                Their cap situation hamstrings them....they are a repeater tax team... makes trading for an additional 30M or so per year untenable....it ain't pretty in Cleveland right now in the finance department.
                                The Raptors would probably have to eat Thompson's and Clarkson's contracts. Clarkson is a flow killer. Thompson is very one dimensional.

Comment

Working...
                                X