Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you who forgot about the reason we still have for optimism.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      Its still a diluted league teeming with opportunities for a savvy GM to strike. Good players are still found outside the top five of the lotto.
      Yeah they are.. but how do you get the 6th pick with your $30M talent? I don't think you can. If you think we can then that's great and I'm sure Masai might have tried to do that too.. but it seems unlikely and more like wishful thinking.

I think getting an asset like a pick is still achievable with cap space. And you could make an argument that cap space may actually be more valuable to a team than an allstar like DeMar or Kyle.

I bet the Knicks would have given up pick #9 for taking on Noah. And if the Raps had cap space once DeMar and Kyle's contracts are off the books they can make that deal. They can then use #9 to move up if they package it with more cap space or another future pick or something. Memphis may have done a deal for #4 if you take Parsons for free.. and give them a pick back to make their GM keep their job.

It's easier to make moves on picks when you are bad and have cap space. So we keep our window in tact and let's see what happens when its over. We could end up tanking like Atlanta but having a savvy GM that makes good draft decisions could help us get back to where we are with hopefully better/younger talent.

Comment

The first tear down was a playoff team and it didn't have better assets than this team.

Also luck is when preparation intersects opportunity. Ainge isn't a statistical anomaly. He's just incredibly good at what he does.
        That first tear down they didn't have the assets that this team had, and thus got less in return. They collected a lot of late first round picks and then cashed those plus their own good picks from being bad for a few years in.

I mean, I'm sure there were deals the Raptors could have made for Derozan for filler salary plus the 17th pick. Is that what you're advising Masai do?
        That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          Yeah they are.. but how do you get the 6th pick with your $30M talent? I don't think you can. If you think we can then that's great and I'm sure Masai might have tried to do that too.. but it seems unlikely and more like wishful thinking.

I think getting an asset like a pick is still achievable with cap space. And you could make an argument that cap space may actually be more valuable to a team than an allstar like DeMar or Kyle.

I bet the Knicks would have given up pick #9 for taking on Noah. And if the Raps had cap space once DeMar and Kyle's contracts are off the books they can make that deal. They can then use #9 to move up if they package it with more cap space or another future pick or something. Memphis may have done a deal for #4 if you take Parsons for free.. and give them a pick back to make their GM keep their job.

It's easier to make moves on picks when you are bad and have cap space. So we keep our window in tact and let's see what happens when its over. We could end up tanking like Atlanta but having a savvy GM that makes good draft decisions could help us get back to where we are with hopefully better/younger talent.
          I didn't say they should make a run at #6. I don't care what he does, he's the expert but he needs to do something. This ultra passive way he's running things will run this club into the ground in a couple seasons. Masai gets the praise, now he needs to earn it.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
            I think there was a PR hit FROM THE LEAGUE, and especially the coaches, on the Casey firing. But I think Masai cares less about them than he does the Raptors fans. And to keep up excitement and to keep people coming at the same numbers and at the same ticket prices to random February regular season games, he needs to sell them that there's something different this time.

I don't think the market is there for Derozan. I don't think it's there for Lowry. He could only use the culture change card once, as he stated in the exit press conference. Casey had to take the fall, just to keep hope alive for the fans that we'd see a different Raptors in the playoffs next year.
            All the local radio shows were talking about how it was embarrassing for the Raptors to have fired their COY coach, and a lot of the casual fan discourse has been along exactly the same lines.

I don't disagree that Nurse is a reason for hope. I disagree that the firing of Casey was in any way driven by motivations that for some reason didn't motivate his firing in 2015 or 2016 or 2017.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
              July 1st teams can start talking to players, July 7th teams can start actually signing players.
              Noon on June 6th, actually.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Noon on June 6th, actually.
                Oh, it's a day earlier this year. Didn't realize that.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                  That first tear down they didn't have the assets that this team had, and thus got less in return. They collected a lot of late first round picks and then cashed those plus their own good picks from being bad for a few years in.

I mean, I'm sure there were deals the Raptors could have made for Derozan for filler salary plus the 17th pick. Is that what you're advising Masai do?
                  I haven't mentioned a single trade. I'm telling you he's too passive and his time is running out. He's not impervious of criticism even if he has a strong defense in here. No one will be on defense in two years, take a look ahead.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                    Oh, it's a day earlier this year. Didn't realize that.
                    Every year it's noon on June 6th now, instead of the past where it changed every year. New CBA has it set in stone.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I haven't mentioned a single trade. I'm telling you he's too passive and his time is running out. He's not impervious of criticism even if he has a strong defense in here. No one will be on defense in two years, take a look ahead.
                      Hmm, look ahead a few years to when the Raptors have a clean cap sheet, a roster full of good young players, and free agents like Giannis will be hitting the market?

Don't mind if I do!
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

All the local radio shows were talking about how it was embarrassing for the Raptors to have fired their COY coach, and a lot of the casual fan discourse has been along exactly the same lines.
                        This, just a very short time after the entire basketball world was talking about how embarrassing it was the Raptors were trying to guard Lebron straight up with CJ Miles, didn't double him on his game winner in game 3, etc.

Masai hated that his team was a laughingstock, and so he fired the man most responsible for that, optics be damned.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Every year it's noon on June 6th now, instead of the past where it changed every year. New CBA has it set in stone.
                          I actually have read the CBA, and should know this, but apparently I didn't. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

I didn't say they should make a run at #6. I don't care what he does, he's the expert but he needs to do something. This ultra passive way he's running things will run this club into the ground in a couple seasons. Masai gets the praise, now he needs to earn it.
                            What does he "needs to do something" mean? Are you looking for a Bryan Colangelo move where he just makes some random trade like Telfair for a pick?

Masai wants to win his transactions. Is there something wrong with that? This guy put together a group of guys without a super star, two "flawed" all-stars, and a coach that has his head up his ass a lot.. and still put up 59 wins and had the 2nd best record in the NBA (with a top 5 offense and defense to boot).

He's had one lottery pick in his tenure (one he traded for) and yet still created the best bench in the league. All with guys on their rookie deals (well all but Miles). Was that done by an ultra passive guy? Were Ibaka and Tucker at the deadline passive moves?

Let's call a spade a spade. What you are looking for specifically is for DeMar and Lowry to be traded. You don't want "something" you want those guys gone even though they only have 2 years left on their contracts.. and still might be traded considering teams haven't moved payroll around yet.

"Running into the ground"... In 2 years we'll be tanking most likely anyway. With a solid foundation of prospects and all our picks, with no long term deals on the payroll.

Comment

Hmm, look ahead a few years to when the Raptors have a clean cap sheet, a roster full of good young players, and free agents like Giannis will be hitting the market?

Don't mind if I do!
                              That's a lot of assumptions. Not too long ago there was embarrassingly strong calls for DD to get moved to make way for the ascension of Norman Powell.

Comment

You said June twice.. you meant July right

Comment

Working...
                                X