X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Stein continues twisting the knife:

Jasikevicius doesn't surprise me at all though. He is probably making pretty decent money as a head coach in Europe. And may just wait a couple of years for an NBA head coaching opportunity. Heck, maybe even with us if Nurse falls flat.

Comment

• I cant blame the critics of Masai. However...

If Parsons and JJJ were available for Derozan and one of the young guys, I wouldnt understand why Masai would be opposed to that trade. Unless he really is waiting for the big chips to fall (ie Lebron and Kawhi) before he pulls the trigger.

Being overly conservative just to endure another humiliation in the playoffs may result to his departure next season. He at this point has no other argument/ excuses to fall back on (culture change and coach Casey).

Time to make a bold move Masai.

Comment

• Lets travel back in time

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/9...eneral-manager

Raptors introduce GM Masai Ujiri
        TORONTO -- Masai Ujiri is returning to the Raptors as general manager and bringing with him a "passion to win." He has a lot of work ahead, joining a team that has missed the playoffs for five straight seasons.

Ujiri was introduced Tuesday at Air Canada Centre after his hiring last week. He was an assistant GM with the Raptors for three seasons before leaving for the Denver Nuggets in 2010.

"I love this place," said Ujiri, the first African-born GM in North America's four major sports. "I'm pumped. I'm excited. This is a stage that I've always wanted in my life."

Ujiri, born in Nigeria, was the NBA executive of the year with the Nuggets. He succeeds Bryan Colangelo, who remains the Raptors' president in a nonbasketball role.

"It's going to take patience," Ujiri said. "It's going to take will. We're going to instill passion -- a passion to win."

Ujiri thanked the Nuggets for letting him return to the team that gave him his start in the NBA.

"It was a tough decision to leave Denver. It was an easy decision for me to come here," he said. "I'm really, really honored and humbled that this organization would give me this chance."

One of Ujiri's first decisions concerns coach Dwane Casey, who has one year left on his contract. Ujiri said he didn't see "any reason" why Casey wouldn't coach the team next season

"We're going to sit down, and I want to understand what his philosophies are and I'll tell him what my philosophies are or what I think needs to be changed," Ujiri said.

The team is above the league's luxury tax threshold and he'll have to decide which of the Raptors' burdensome salaries to eliminate with the amnesty clause.

"There are good pieces on this roster," he said. "There are phenomenal players on this roster. We have some things we need to correct."

Another concern is finding a willing trade partner for Italian forward Andrea Bargnani.

The new GM says he owes a lot to Colangelo, who gave him an opportunity to become an NBA executive. Ujiri shrugged off suggestions that the relationship between the current and former GMs could be awkward.

"There's no issue with Bryan Colangelo," he said. "None whatsoever."

At Denver, Ujiri handled the Carmelo Anthony trade to New York and assembled a relatively starless roster that still managed to become a formidable contender in the Western Conference.

The Nuggets won a franchise-record 57 games and went an NBA-best 38-3 at home to finish third in the conference.

Comment

• Maybe he still had nightmares...

He was a scout for the Nuggets from 2003-07 before joining the Raptors as director of global scouting. He was promoted in 2008 to assistant Raptors GM and returned to Denver on Aug. 27, 2010, where he was handed the Melo-drama with Anthony demanding a trade to the New York Knicks.

After finally engineering the blockbuster deal that next February, Ujiri famously apologized, saying, "We feel we got killed in the trade."

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
            I cant blame the critics of Masai. However...

If Parsons and JJJ were available for Derozan and one of the young guys, I wouldnt understand why Masai would be opposed to that trade. Unless he really is waiting for the big chips to fall (ie Lebron and Kawhi) before he pulls the trigger.

Being overly conservative just to endure another humiliation in the playoffs may result to his departure next season. He at this point has no other argument/ excuses to fall back on (culture change and coach Casey).

Time to make a bold move Masai.
            I can't say for certain obviously, but I cannot possibly see why Memphis would reject that trade. They don't need JJJ right now and DeRozan strengthens them immensely on the wings for a team where the owner has stated that his goal is 50 wins. Not to mention they shed a bad contract in the process.

However that's a trade you make only if you're actually looking to rebuild, which Masai clearly isn't. Btw we wouldn't have been restricted to taking JJJ there, there were other guys like Bamba and Trae Young still on the board (although I do think JJJ was BPA at #4)

Comment

• @Claw.

Well, Masai certainly fulfilled this promise.....

"It's going to take patience," Ujiri said. "It's going to take will. We're going to instill passion -- a passion to win."
              59-win seasons and losing to Lebron in the playoffs.... and everybody around here wants his head. lol.

Comment

• So, the Spurs want to send Kawhi to the Eastern conference.

Q:> What do you think the market price is for 1-year Kawhi rental?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                  @Claw.

Well, Masai certainly fulfilled this promise.....

59-win seasons and losing to Lebron in the playoffs.... and everybody around here wants his head. lol.
                  He's delivered on basically everything he said. He wanted to bring a winning culture that had never consistently existed. He wanted to bring winning to the fans, the locker room, the city and country, and then try and build up from there.

This was never a "trust the process" type of mission statement. Ujiri never promised us a championship in x amount of years. Step 1 was a get a winning team, some self respect, and from there you keep your own players and bring more In, and get incrementally better year after year after year.

That was the ujiri mission. That is exactly what is happening. Not sure why some people have jumped ship on him and are calling for his head..his group has been preaching patience since day 1. No management team can simply go "make" a champion..the other 29 teams aren't exactly eager to help. You need luck, you need time and patience, you need to stay the course, you need to always improve, and that make that big fish move when the chance arises.

That is "the plan". For those that keep asking.

Ujiri never lied to any of us, and he's kept his "election promises" to go from that joke of a franchise to multiple 50 game winner, winner of 4 rounds in 3 years and a conf finals appearance, with a stable of young thoroughbreds and 2 all stars and willingness to spend, there's no reason to jump ship now.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

So, the Spurs want to send Kawhi to the Eastern conference.

Boston for Kyrie or Hayward, with a prospect and/or a draft pick. That's as good as Spurs can get for that 1 year.

Comment

So, the Spurs want to send Kawhi to the Eastern conference.

Slightly above what the Pacers got for the Paul George rental last year (which btw might turned out to be more than one year the last I heard): All star + Prospect or Pick

Edit: I'd do Demar + Delon for that rental , but would have to bring a starter caliber SG to replace Demar in a separate trade, in the hopes of getting to finals which would entice Leonard to stay.

If I'm Boston I personally don't think Boston gives up Kyrie or Tatum for just 1 yr of Kawhil, though I can see them doing Hayward + Jaylen Brown.
                      Last edited by inthepaint; Sat Jun 23, 2018, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Honestly if the plan is to rebuild after next year anyway...

Why not just offer DeRozan, Wright, Poeltl and our 2019 1st for Kawhi? Yeah it sounds like a fucking lot but it actually gives us a chance to get to the finals potentially since we'd have the 2nd best player in the east (or best if LeBron goes west) and a pretty damn good team around him (with FVV re-signed we'd just have to shore up backup center with our mini-MLE or just give Ibaka those minutes).

If he leaves so what? You lost some prospects that aren't going to be stars anyway and actually gave it a REAL shot at winning the NBA title. OG and Kawhi would be probably the best defensive wing pairing in the league. Lowry would be the 2nd best player on the team (which I think he's capable of being on a championship team) and we'd have a real superstar leading the way.

For the Spurs they get a couple prospects as well as a pick and DeRozan's good enough to give them a go-to wing scorer and also keep them competitive in the western conference. If Kawhi wants out anyway, that's a pretty good haul that's probably not going to be matched by Boston who aren't going to be willing to give up Hayward or Kyrie if they have no idea if Kawhi's re-signing or not.
                        Last edited by Shaolin Fantastic; Sat Jun 23, 2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• It's not going to be as good as Paul George, because unlike George, who simply asked to be sent to a contender - which meant there were multiple bidders - Kawhi's camp are telling anybody who listen he's going to the Lakers the first chance he gets, period, end of story, finito.

My guess would be it's one of Lonzo Ball or Brandon Ingram, maybe a smaller player the Lakers don't especially care about like Tyler Ennis or one of their picks this year, and a protected first-round draft pick, and that is the absolute ceiling for Kawhi. The Spurs don't take back Luol Deng's bad money, because they don't need to and because the Lakers can bribe someone else to turn Deng's contract into usable players anyway.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                            I can't say for certain obviously, but I cannot possibly see why Memphis would reject that trade. They don't need JJJ right now and DeRozan strengthens them immensely on the wings for a team where the owner has stated that his goal is 50 wins. Not to mention they shed a bad contract in the process.

However that's a trade you make only if you're actually looking to rebuild, which Masai clearly isn't. Btw we wouldn't have been restricted to taking JJJ there, there were other guys like Bamba and Trae Young still on the board (although I do think JJJ was BPA at #4)
                            If what you are saying is true that Masai is not pursuing the rebuild route and more of a retool then acquiring a legit All Star/ Superstar is the way to go. So who is available out there? Obviously aside from Lebron, Kawhi is the next best thing. He is a rental but what other options does Masai have unless he wanted to stay the course and just be embarrased again past 82.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                              Why not just offer DeRozan, Wright, Poeltl and our 2019 1st for Kawhi? Yeah it sounds like a fucking lot but it actually gives us a chance to get to the finals potentially since we'd have the 2nd best player in the east (or best if LeBron goes west) and a pretty damn good team around him (with FVV re-signed we'd just have to shore up backup center with our mini-MLE or just give Ibaka those minutes).
                              You have spent, like, thirty thousand posts complaining endlessly about Masai's moves, and your proposal is "let's trade a ton of assets for a superstar player who literally chose to sit on the bench with a fake injury rather than play for a team he decided he doesn't want to stay with."

This is why Masai has his job and you don't, you understand.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                                Slightly above what the Pacers got for the Paul George rental last year (which btw might turned out to be more than one year the last I heard): All star + Prospect or Pick
                                Dipo wasn't an all-star when he was traded for George. Indiana turned him into one. But the package you mentioned is probably what could get it done.

Philly with Covo+Fultz is probably the one that I could see SA listening to.

Boston's tough. I don't see them moving Hayward at all. Kyrie possibly but again I'm not sure what they do there.. especially with Smart most likely on his way out. Rozier stepped up his game but they won't have any decent PG after him. Their young guys make too little to offer in a package that works.

Milwaukee could be in the mix too to try and keep Giannis around. Middleton+Brogdon maybe?

Washington could offer Porter and if Kawhi leaves it'll help them with their cap situation the following year. Doubt they do that though.

Toronto would have to offer DD a young prospect like Siakam or OG most likely. DD playing the Dipo role in the trade with Siakam/OG playing the Sabonis role. Of course Pops would want that. Not sure if Masai would want to lose a good prospect like OG or Siakam for a one year rental.

I don't really see any other Eastern team in the mix. Orlando, Atlanta, NY, Brooklyn, Charlotte, Chicago are all pretty much still rebuilding. Detroit and Cleveland have awful contracts. And Miami is probably still trying to develop their young guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X