This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
    Why not? They know that Pop adamant not to directly trade Kawhi to any Western Conference team. So they would consider a LA native instead.
    I suspect they'd rather not help anyone else make a deal and hope SAS get desperate enough to just trade Kawhi to them.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
      Why not? They know that Pop adamant not to directly trade Kawhi to any Western Conference team. So they would consider a LA native instead.
      We've discussed DD to LAL and LAC here plenty of times. But I don't know if either team would want to help the Spurs by trading Kawhi to someone else. Toronto would be their competition.

But with respect to DD specifically...

I know the Clippers don't want to become a tax team. If Jordan opts out then there will be relief.. but if he doesn't they'll need to shed salary not add more. Jerry West got rid of Blake and DeMar is a very similar player. Maybe not with character (and that might matter) but talent wise they are both flawed all-stars. I created a fake trade in some post above somewhere. Basically it was DD to LAC for Bradley (in a S&T) and SGA. That would probably be a best case scenario.

With the Lakers I think they just want to hoard cap space. They want the big fish. Lebron, Kawhi and George (probably in that order). Locking into DeMar now is a risk. Plus they've said that if they can't get Lebron/Kawhi they are willing to wait an extra year. DeMar has at least 2 on his deal. So the same problems can exist next year. He could mess up with their cap situation preventing them from getting a big 3.

We could swap DD for Deng and one of their prospects like Kuzma. Not sure Masai would take that. Deng's got a pretty crappy contract and he's virtually unplayable.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        We've discussed DD to LAL and LAC here plenty of times. But I don't know if either team would want to help the Spurs by trading Kawhi to someone else. Toronto would be their competition.

But with respect to DD specifically...

I know the Clippers don't want to become a tax team. If Jordan opts out then there will be relief.. but if he doesn't they'll need to shed salary not add more. Jerry West got rid of Blake and DeMar is a very similar player. Maybe not with character (and that might matter) but talent wise they are both flawed all-stars. I created a fake trade in some post above somewhere. Basically it was DD to LAC for Bradley (in a S&T) and SGA. That would probably be a best case scenario.

With the Lakers I think they just want to hoard cap space. They want the big fish. Lebron, Kawhi and George (probably in that order). Locking into DeMar now is a risk. Plus they've said that if they can't get Lebron/Kawhi they are willing to wait an extra year. DeMar has at least 2 on his deal. So the same problems can exist next year. He could mess up with their cap situation preventing them from getting a big 3.

We could swap DD for Deng and one of their prospects like Kuzma. Not sure Masai would take that. Deng's got a pretty crappy contract and he's virtually unplayable.
        It's basically trade gridlock until we find out where Lebron and Kawhi are going... arguably the best and second-best overall players in the league could be on the move, or going nowhere. Even those guys are watching each other and trying to position themselves relative to where the other guy ends up. This off-season is fascinating.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          I don't see LAC or LAL help facilitating a Kawhi deal for him to go somewhere else.
          Exactly. They want him and he wants to play in LA. They don't want to risk him going to somewhere like Boston and then change his mind.

Comment

• The Raptors receiving someone in a sign and trade is exceedingly unlikely, considering they are projected over the hard cap even before re-signing FVV.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Suns renounced rights for Elfrid Payton. I liked him coming into the draft. Sucks that he didnt pan out.
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                Suns renounced rights for Elfrid Payton. I liked him coming into the draft. Sucks that he didnt pan out.
                He could be a cheap backup in case we can't get a deal done with FVV. As much as everybody loves FVV, there are always backup PGs available on the market every year. It's a high supply, low-demand position.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  I wonder in that potential SAS deal, whether the Spurs would still be interested in Norm? Or at least more interested in him than Patty Mills. The Raptors could offer to swap the two. The Spurs would be taking on an extra year in salary, but would be cutting 2-3M per year for the next three seasons. And they were rumoured to like Norm over the past few off-seasons.

The deal would then be:

DeRozan (27.7M), Norm (9.4M), Poeltl (2.9M), Wright (2.5M), 2019 TOR 1st : $42.6M total salary

for

Kawhi (20.1M), Pau (16.8M), Mills (11.6M) : $48.5M total salary

That lets them shed 6M now in the deal. Or if they no longer have interest in Norm, the Raps could also offer Miles as a shorter term salary swap for Mills if they want out from the term of that deal (Miles is 2 years - one a player option, Mills is 3, Norm is 4). Miles in Norm's place would mean even more short term savings (7M instead of 6M) and a year of Mills' salary chopped off instead of added on.

I think that's probably the best offer the Raps can reasonably make for Leonard.
                  I like that. The only element of this deal I'm mildly adverse to is the outgoing pick. I know it'd be the tail-end of the 1st round but Masai has done quite well in that zone of that draft before (OG and Wright at #20 and Siakam at #27) and if a rebuild is on the horizon we need to get back at drafting in the first round. That said, that pick is doing double duty there as it's also helping sneak out Norm (besides sweetening the offer), so it's palatable. Plus you're getting husky veteran presence in Gasol & Mills to help deter playoff meltdowns.

If this happened though, I think we'd have to find a starting caliber shooting guard somehow. We'd have three 6'0'' point guards in Lowry, FVV and Mills and the rest of the team would be frontcourt players. There'd be some tricky roster balancing after a big trade like this, but if they could pull it off it'd be awesome.
                  Last edited by inthepaint; Sun Jun 24, 2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Suns renounced rights for Elfrid Payton. I liked him coming into the draft. Sucks that he didnt pan out.
                    Also Alex Len.

Comment

TBH they should have waited to watch how he plays after the haircut. It might change his entire life.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• The reality is the Raptors will have the SAME team next season, same roster. Masai doesn't have the balls to make major roster changes.

He's to going to sell hope to the fans, he's going to sell Nick Nurse as a difference maker. Nick Nurse might turn out to be the next Phil Jackson, who the fuck knows. I know one thing though, he's no magician. I don't care how good of a coach he is, the Raptors doesn't have the talent to beat top end teams.

Phil Jackson would never win 6 championships with the Bulls without Jordan and Pippen.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                          The reality is the Raptors will have the SAME team next season, same roster. Masai doesn't have the balls to make major roster changes.

He's to going to sell hope to the fans, he's going to sell Nick Nurse as a difference maker. Nick Nurse might turn out to be the next Phil Jackson, who the fuck knows. I know one thing though, he's no magician. I don't care how good of a coach he is, the Raptors doesn't have the talent to beat top end teams.

Phil Jackson would never win 6 championships with the Bulls without Jordan and Pippen.
                          Lmao jeez pessimist much ahaha. But you're probably right still
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                            Lmao jeez pessimist much ahaha. But you're probably right still
                            Of course i'm right.

Last year's team was the greatest Raptors team of all time and they still couldn't beat one of the worst LeBron James team in YEARS.

If you can't beat that team then how are you going to beat the Warriors, who are like 10x better than that Cavs team?

DeRozan and Lowry has proven TIME AND TIME AGAIN that they can't get id done in the playoffs. Enough of the bullshit already.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                              Of course i'm right.

Last year's team was the greatest Raptors team of all time and they still couldn't beat one of the worst LeBron James team in YEARS.

If you can't beat that team then how are you going to beat the Warriors, who are like 10x better than that Cavs team?

DeRozan and Lowry has proven TIME AND TIME AGAIN that they can't get id done in the playoffs. Enough of the bullshit already.
                              I agree we need more talent, duh. But the Pacers and the Kyrie-less, Hayward-less Celtics took the Cavs to the 4th quarter of game 7. Coaching was also a big problem. If you swap Casey for Brad Stevens, we're in the Finals .... guaranteed.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                I agree we need more talent, duh. But the Pacers and the Kyrie-less, Hayward-less Celtics took the Cavs to the 4th quarter of game 7. Coaching was also a big problem. If you swap Casey for Brad Stevens, we're in the Finals .... guaranteed.
                                Brad Stevens can get Demar to defend like Brown, Smart or Taytum? Dude is magic.

Comment

Working...
                                X