This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    Well the first wave of Free Agency is in the books. Some predictable moves have unfolded and some unpredictable ones as well. Such is the meld of a soap opera and WWE that is the NBA.

The Raps.....

....Only two shoes left to drop. Whats Boogie going to do in a tight money market and if the Spurs are offered the crown jewels by Philly for Leonard.
    Hope you have another shoe left for Lebron

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      I think my point is that Masai is a freaking magician with late picks, and he still grabs a DeAndre Daniels and Bruno once in a while. The expected value for non-lotto picks is somewhere between lifetime bench player and never plays in the NBA. If you make enough selections from 20 on down, you are definitely going to miss on some picks, 100%.
      I agree that you will invariably draft blanks at that position, more so than not probably (Masai being the exception). I also agree that the players with franchise altering potential will be in the lottery, and that is worth taking risk to get there to leap the team forward, just as it's worth swinging for the fences on lower picks as well (Masai has done well)

That said, I will disagree that the expected value for non lotto picks are lifetime bench players, or their expected value is close to zero. Out of the 20 starters on the 4 teams that made their conference finals this year, 10 were non-lottery. (JR Smith, Hill, Korver, Draymond, Pachulia, Tucker, Capela, Ariza, Baynes and Rozier). Five of those were second rounders. None of these guys are franchise-altering players but they're starters on the top 4 NBA teams right now. I personally expect non-lotto picks, to be able to be starters on the league, therefore with value. But yeah, guys that will give you a championship will be in the lotto, so you need to be there at some point.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
        Hope you have another shoe left for Lebron
        Lebron is going to wait it out till the landscape clears.... and so far.. only two shoes left.... Leonard... who the Spurs are under no obligation to trade and Cousins ..........

The no cap room off season has limited lebron more than he has ever been limited before. In context of course as lebron is never really without options.
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jul 1, 2018, 12:50 PM.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• In other news... and not to derail..

Tavares. Leafs.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
            In other news... and not to derail..

Tavares. Leafs.
            Unfuckinbelievable.... Going to walk over to Bay Street to spray paint an X on the sidewalk to reserve my place for the parade !!

as the buffalo car sales ads say.... this is YUGE !
            - TGO

Comment

• Love that Masai is sticking with the 2 year window. Was expecting 4 years.. 2 years is pretty awesome. I suspect Masai really wants to blow this puppy up in 2 years and we're going to just roll out the same band with a few minor changes each year until then.

$9M is a bit much per year. looks like it's the 2 year max value that we can give to Fred. I didn't see much of a market once Phoenix went with Ariza.. so I think we could have saved some money there.. but at this point we're a tax team, and if the board is cool with that than there is no reason to complain.

Pretty much forget sign and trades though. As of right now we are about $5.5M above the apron. Apron is $6M above the tax line which is around $123M. With Fred's signing we have a total payroll of about $141M. So that's well over.

I'm happy to be a tax team.. just not a repeater. With the cap going up next year that shouldn't really be a worry.. and the year after our window closes and we'll have a lot of expiring contracts coming off the books.

I still expect some money clearing moves. Philly and Atlanta still have a boat load of cap space. Could sell Powell with our 2019 pick but would prefer to keep both (again what do I care if the team has to pay tax).

Let's hope we see a bit of a shake down in our core though. Still would like to see DeMar moved if possible.

Rumblings of Philly meeting Lebron sounds like a nightmare for us. If they get Kawhi too we're really f@cked.

Comment

Tavares. Leafs.
                Looked at a stat line and 84 points or something. That to me seems mediocre. I remember when Gretz had over 200 points that one year. I believe Selanne had like 76 goals in his rookie year.

Different era I guess..

And don't the leafs need a better goalie or defense? Was looking at some playoff scores and the Bruins were putting up like 7 point games on them. How is a forward going to help them with that?

Comment

Tavares. Leafs.
                  Wow. Instant legit contender. See y'all over at LeafsRepublic.

Comment

• Hahaha...say goodbye to all Raptors coverage within the country of Canada (not that the Raptors were headliners prior to this Tavares signing lol)

No US coverage and now no Canadian coverage.

Time to rebuild Ujiri.

Because come April, with this core...shitting the bed is an ordinary thing.

Though i mentioned that i still believe Ujiri has some big thing brewing so im not yet losing hope. (I dont mean the signing of FVV - welcome back)

Comment

• The 12 year old Laughs GM is entering his first full season as the GM of the Laughs and has ALREADY acquired a big name player.

Ujiri is in his 6th season with the Raptors and has yet to acquire any impact player. Heard the other day that they're interested in Thomas Bryant. Maybe Ujiri is working for the wrong Toronto team. Since he LOVES G-Leaguers so much, why not move to Mississauga and be the GM and the Prez of the 905 instead?
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                        Hahaha...say goodbye to all Raptors coverage within the country of Canada (not that the Raptors were headliners prior to this Tavares signing lol)

No US coverage and now no Canadian coverage.

Time to rebuild Ujiri.

Because come April, with this core...shitting the bed is an ordinary thing.

Though i mentioned that i still believe Ujiri has some big thing brewing so im not yet losing hope. (I dont mean the signing of FVV - welcome back)
                        Trades are now pretty much the only way for about 25 teams to improve their lot in life..... Hoping there is a win win deal out there for Los Raptors....

As for coverage... Raps will still get coverage... for me.. a silver lining in that Raps tickets should be more accessible and affordable than last year....
                        - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                          Trades are now pretty much the only way for about 25 teams to improve their lot in life..... Hoping there is a win win deal out there for Los Raptors....

As for coverage... Raps will still get coverage... for me.. a silver lining in that Raps tickets should be more accessible and affordable than last year....
                          Yep. Everything is going according to Hoyle on the Serengeti. The lions have feasted. Despite all the talk of wanting to play for a winner or wanting to go home, every tier 1 NBA free agent has grabbed every penny and stayed with their current team, except for DeAndre Jordan who left the Clippers for the exact same amount he could have got.

Still one lion left to eat, but Lebron Inc's calculation is quite different, because the global icon and his Klutch posse have much different revenue streams depending on where he goes, compared to the run of the mill superstar.

Who knows... Kawhi may still end up having his arm twisted to accept a quarter billion dollar supermax deal from the Spurs. Just follow the money.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Looked at a stat line and 84 points or something. That to me seems mediocre. I remember when Gretz had over 200 points that one year. I believe Selanne had like 76 goals in his rookie year.

Different era I guess..

And don't the leafs need a better goalie or defense? Was looking at some playoff scores and the Bruins were putting up like 7 point games on them. How is a forward going to help them with that?
                            it's a very different era.

anyways the Leafs lost two good offensive players who they couldn't play in the d-zone - JVR and Bozak. Tavares is a superstar centre who you can play in any zone and he'll be fine. More importantly, for the majority of the game we'll have one of Matthews, Tavares, and Kadri out there. Tavares himself will improve the defence as a result as we'd be replacing Bozak and JVR's minutes with his.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                              The 12 year old Laughs GM is entering his first full season as the GM of the Laughs and has ALREADY acquired a big name player.

Ujiri is in his 6th season with the Raptors and has yet to acquire any impact player. Heard the other day that they're interested in Thomas Bryant. Maybe Ujiri is working for the wrong Toronto team. Since he LOVES G-Leaguers so much, why not move to Mississauga and be the GM and the Prez of the 905 instead?
                              never change TRex, never change

Comment

• We've officially got Scotiabank Arena now, so there's that. Could be worse, I guess.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X