Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time to stop settling for moral victories and to chart an actual path to contention rather than flying by the seat of our pants. Any objective observer would say we have no shot at a title for the next few years; why not prepare for 3-5 years from now? If we put off what's necessary now, we'll get surpassed by the next wave of up-and-comers, and will be looking at true contention 5-7 years from now.

Not to mention that making the Finals isn't even guaranteed the next two years. If we lose to Boston or Philly, these two years are more time wasted. And there's a pretty serious risk that if we don't make any headway, our already-limited assets walk for no return, which is what happened to the Atlanta Hawks.

"Sit back and enjoy the ride" is just avoiding what's difficult now at the expense of the future imo.
    One underlying premise in your argument is that if the Raps blow it up now they will be "true" title contenders in 3-5 years from now but that is entirely speculative. Newsflash, this team is as much a contender now as any team in the East, including Boston and Philly, and most of the teams out West outside of Houston and maybe OKC or the Lebrons. Everyone, and I mean, everyone, is losing to a healthy GS team in 7 games. Does that mean all other 29 teams should plan for 3-5 years from now cause they have no path to contention?

The other underlying premise is that teams should only be moving forward if they are on a path to true contention. But what happens if you're not? Let's say 5 years go by and the Raps don't have a superstar. Do they blow it up? What about 10 years? 15 years? 20 years? When do you stop blowing it up? Cause if you look at this team and want to blow it up, I have a hard time understanding under what conditions a team shouldn't tank.

Comment

• Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        One underlying premise in your argument is that if the Raps blow it up now they will be "true" title contenders in 3-5 years from now but that is entirely speculative. Newsflash, this team is as much a contender now as any team in the East, including Boston and Philly, and most of the teams out West outside of Houston and maybe OKC or the Lebrons. Everyone, and I mean, everyone, is losing to a healthy GS team in 7 games. Does that mean all other 29 teams should plan for 3-5 years from now cause they have no path to contention?

The other underlying premise is that teams should only be moving forward if they are on a path to true contention. But what happens if you're not? Let's say 5 years go by and the Raps don't have a superstar. Do they blow it up? What about 10 years? 15 years? 20 years? When do you stop blowing it up? Cause if you look at this team and want to blow it up, I have a hard time understanding under what conditions a team shouldn't tank.
        Like I said, just show us where that Yellow Brick Road is, aka, "the path to true contention".

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          The problem for OKC is this: if they stretch Melo, they sign themselves up to a tax bill (probably a massive one again, though not 150M) for the next two seasons after this one. If they bite the bullet and let him expire, they gain a lot of flexibility in those next couple seasons.
          So in one hand you have "tons of flexibility". In the other hand is a very real 120M$ right here right now money that you keep even if you hurt someones very well paid on the way out the door feelings.

I wonder which one the guy who pays the bills is looking harder at ?
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

• It really is huge that Lebron has exited the East. Celtics/Sixers are nothing to sneeze and the conference is competitive 1-10, but it really is wide open - hell of an opportunity.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
              So in one hand you have "tons of flexibility". In the other hand is a very real 120M$ right here right now money that you keep even if you hurt someones very well paid on the way out the door feelings.

The tricky thing is that's the guy paying the bill those next two years as well.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

Ok we should keep him.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

$120,000,000 is a lot of money for anyone. Deal with next year's tax issues next year.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                    Ok we should keep him.
                    Masai needs to tell DeMar he's better than Ingram.

Comment

Maybe it's the emotions in me speaking right now... but I'd rather ride or die with Demar than trade for anyone else.

Comment

I gotta admit, I don't really understand why this is a big deal. It's someone shooting something to him in the street, what's he supposed to say? Especially since he's under contract with another team.
                        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                          I gotta admit, I don't really understand why this is a big deal. It's someone shooting something to him in the street, what's he supposed to say? Especially since he's under contract with another team.
                          I don't think anyone thinks its a big deal. I do think he means he doesn't wanna go the Lakers, whether or not you're under contract you don't gotta quickly reply "hell naw"
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            I don't think anyone thinks its a big deal. I do think he means he doesn't wanna go the Lakers, whether or not you're under contract you don't gotta quickly reply "hell naw"
                            Even then, he's from LA and spends a lot of off-season time there. He probably gets that question a lot, and the response might just be him being tired of hearing it.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                              Even then, he's from LA and spends a lot of off-season time there. He probably gets that question a lot, and the response might just be him being tired of hearing it.
                              As fans of a team that often doesn’t get a lot of respect league wide, it’s just so satisfying to see a guy who believes in himself and his team, and wants nothing more than to win in Toronto. Loyalty. Not something very common in the league anymore, especially for a team like Toronto.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                                As fans of a team that often doesn’t get a lot of respect league wide, it’s just so satisfying to see a guy who believes in himself and his team, and wants nothing more than to win in Toronto. Loyalty. Not something very common in the league anymore, especially for a team like Toronto.
                                Sure, DeMar's been an awesome face of the organization. Everyone acknowledges that.

I'm just saying a question shouted at someone in the street about their future employment probably isn't the most definitive answer you'll get.

Comment

Working...
                                X