• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    So Zach Lowe has a take on the whole Kawhi thing:
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...les-lakers-nba

Here is his Toronto offer:
    How is losing derozan OG and a 1st (a 1st that is huge of kawhi walks) "not so severe" for a rental?

No thanks.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      How is losing derozan OG and a 1st (a 1st that is huge of kawhi walks) "not so severe" for a rental?

No thanks.
      He said "one of". I'd give up Poeltl and Wright. And if that "future pick" is the 2019 pick than it won't be "huge" if Kawhi walks.

Comment

He said "one of". I'd give up Poeltl and Wright. And if that "future pick" is the 2019 pick than it won't be "huge" if Kawhi walks.
        OG cannot be part of the package. It defeats the purpose.

Comment

No thanks.
          The goal is to make the Finals. With Kawhi, then this team would be up there witht the Celtics as one of the fav in the East. Without him, i don't know what they are without him. Good team but not really a contending team?

As for him being a rental, who knows, i mean PG re-signed in OKC.

I would make that trade.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

I was under the impression we can't trade our 2019 pick because we traded our 2018 pick

Comment

No thanks.
              You guys have been talking all month about the Raptors taking a risk.

The risk most worth taking is the one on a top talent. That's why Kawhi and Jimmy are worth the risk of them leaving, because at least you took a shot at a talent that can help you win a title.
              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post

The risk most worth taking is the one on a top talent. That's why Kawhi and Jimmy are worth the risk of them leaving, because at least you took a shot at a talent that can help you win a title.
                I love the idea of Jimmy. I think Kawhi is as flakey as they come and will not hinge the teams core on him

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post

To be fair to Keon, he's not one of the people asking the Raptors to take a risk.

I'd be all for that Kawhi trade, even with OG thrown in. He is a huge flight risk, and while Toronto has had a great deal of success resigning people in recent years PJ Tucker has proven that Toronto isn't bulletproof in terms of players walking away.

Basically, for anyone who is asking for a rebuild, you rebuild so you have a shot at a player close to Kawhi's caliber. If they can trade for even one year of Kawhi, that ups the likelihood significantly of him staying here and becoming that superstar the Raptors need. It's way more likely than trying to draft someone like Kawhi. And then in 2019 you have all sorts of fun expiring contracts to trade, or in 2020 you have all sorts of cap space to bring someone in with him.

EDIT: We can trade the 2019 pick. The Stepien rule only applies to picks in the future, once the 2018 draft happens, the 2019 pick is fair game to be traded.
                  That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

I love the idea of Jimmy. I think Kawhi is as flakey as they come and will not hinge the teams core on him
                    I understand why you think that considering you believe that Kawhi exaggerated the severity of his injury so he had excuse to get to the Lakers as soon as possible. And you believe he was healthy enough to play last year and just didn't. I don't believe any of that, hence why I'm much more pro "get Kawhi."

I still think that both the Spurs organization and Kawhi have legitimate beefs. The Spurs lost control of their player's treatment practices, and I understand why they're bristling about that - Kawhi should have worked more with Spurs doctors and less against them once he got this second opinion about the nature of his injury. Kawhi was called out in public by his coach and more importantly his teammate (Tony Parker saying "my injury was 100x worse than what Kawhi has" - when I don't believe Tony Parker is a medical professional). It's understandable that he feels the organization abandoned him and hung him out to dry. I really think that's where the divide lies, not in Kawhi just manufacturing his way out of somewhere he never wanted to be.
                    That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• I'm not giving up OG for Kawhi or Jimmy. You can have Demar + one or two of Delon, Norm, Poeltl, or Siakam. If you give up Demar and OG, who plays the wings. No thanks.

Comment

I was under the impression we can't trade our 2019 pick because we traded our 2018 pick
                        That restriction is only forward-looking, ie. you can't trade away picks in consecutive upcoming drafts, but once a draft passes, it no-longer counts against you.

Comment

• Play more like Jordan and Kobe. What doea that even mean?

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                            To be fair to Keon, he's not one of the people asking the Raptors to take a risk.

I'd be all for that Kawhi trade, even with OG thrown in. He is a huge flight risk, and while Toronto has had a great deal of success resigning people in recent years PJ Tucker has proven that Toronto isn't bulletproof in terms of players walking away.

Basically, for anyone who is asking for a rebuild, you rebuild so you have a shot at a player close to Kawhi's caliber. If they can trade for even one year of Kawhi, that ups the likelihood significantly of him staying here and becoming that superstar the Raptors need. It's way more likely than trying to draft someone like Kawhi. And then in 2019 you have all sorts of fun expiring contracts to trade, or in 2020 you have all sorts of cap space to bring someone in with him.

EDIT: We can trade the 2019 pick. The Stepien rule only applies to picks in the future, once the 2018 draft happens, the 2019 pick is fair game to be traded.
                            No, you don't tank to just get a player of Leonard's level.

You tank to get a YOUNG player of Leonard's level whose rights you can control over a long period of time. A 1-year rental of a 27yo coming off a mysterious injury and who openly wants to play somewhere else is a tough pill to swallow. Nevermind that no teams seem to be willing to pay that price so why would we bet against ourselves and give up the farm for him?

If we trade DeMar, OG, a draft pick and possibly one more of either Wright, Siakam or Poeltl, are we actually a contender? We know Kawhi is an elite defender. Offensively he's been on well rounded and well coached teams in San Antonio. He is not LeBron or Harden and has never shown that level of singlehandedly dominating on offence. Can he carry a team that lacks depth and shooting at several positions?

The ideal trade is giving up Delon and Poeltl while keeping OG and Siakam.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Jul 5, 2018, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Why though? If the cap for this core is two years anyways, why not just have one year of a much better core? I like some of the young guys, but honestly not sure any of them are good enough to be built around (maybe OG, depending on how he develops this year). Sure Kawhi is flakey, but he is also a top 4 player in the league, if you want to become significantly better I can't see another move.

As long as you protect most future picks, and retain Lowry+OG+JV to play with Kawhi, I believe it is worth it.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                                Who ya got?

That really puts things in perspective. Our goal should be beat Celtics and make NBA finals next 2 years. Barring significant injuries we’ll get swept in finals but would be great ride for fans and city.

Comment

Working...
                                X