This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    To me the question mark isn't the 1 year rental thing. That's something you can't predict and the risk you take. And even if it was 1 year in hindsight there should be little regret because as s.r. said, this core has a small window anyways we might as well dramatically increase our chances at a finals in 2019.

So that's not my worry. My worry is kawhi himself. Haven't heard nary a word out of him in months but really bad vibes about his uncle and group he rolls with. I would need assurances before going any further dude is going to report to training camp and even then do it in a positive manner. Cause this still has a chance of blowing up in the face of whatever team trades for him.
    Yup, if Kawhi doesn't suit up for us then we suck this year and end up likely without our own first rd pick. We will have cap space though.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
      Next summer will be a great summer to have cap space, especially for a team that has struggled to bring in free agents in the past.
      There's basically no scenario where we have cap space next summer. Not significant cap space, anyway.

Our cap space window starts in 2020 unless we see a whole pile of moves.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

To me the question mark isn't the 1 year rental thing. That's something you can't predict and the risk you take. And even if it was 1 year in hindsight there should be little regret because as s.r. said, this core has a small window anyways we might as well dramatically increase our chances at a finals in 2019.

So that's not my worry. My worry is kawhi himself. Haven't heard nary a word out of him in months but really bad vibes about his uncle and group he rolls with. I would need assurances before going any further dude is going to report to training camp and even then do it in a positive manner. Cause this still has a chance of blowing up in the face of whatever team trades for him.
        No team is making the trade with San Antonio if they can't speak with Kawhi and get assurances he'll play and be a pro for a season.

This is a non-factor to me. If a deal happens we should be confident it's because he will play.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          There's basically no scenario where we have cap space next summer. Not significant cap space, anyway.

Our cap space window starts in 2020 unless we see a whole pile of moves.
          Wait, what? So if we move DeMar in this trade and Kawhi walks then next summer then won't we have some?

Comment

• Also, if the trade goes down, can Kahwi be traded by the trade deadline? I just ask because if he refuses to play for us I'm sure LA will be interested in getting him there for the playoffs.

Comment

Wait, what? So if we move DeMar in this trade and Kawhi walks then next summer then won't we have some?
              Correct.

If we assume the trade is DD plus Poeltl plus Wright plus our 1st, and that JV will opt in to his player option next year, and that we don't pick up Richardson's team option, and that Kawhi walks, we still have $108.5M committed to the remaining roster. The cap is projected at $109M.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Also, if the trade goes down, can Kahwi be traded by the trade deadline? I just ask because if he refuses to play for us I'm sure LA will be interested in getting him there for the playoffs.
                If the trade goes down, we could trade Kawhi the same day, so long as we don't combine his salary with other contracts to take back a bigger salary in the trade.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Correct.

If we assume the trade is DD plus Poeltl plus Wright plus our 1st, and that JV will opt in to his player option next year, and that we don't pick up Richardson's team option, and that Kawhi walks, we still have $108.5M committed to the remaining roster. The cap is projected at $109M.
                  My god that's depressing lol
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

If the trade goes down, we could trade Kawhi the same day, so long as we don't combine his salary with other contracts to take back a bigger salary in the trade.
                    But, just to add to this: Doing so almost certainly is a lose-lose.
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

My god that's depressing lol
                      No one was kidding about the three year window the Raptors set up when they signed those contracts last summer. It was basically set in stone then that they would not have cap flexibility until 2020. We've known this for a year.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                        But, just to add to this: Doing so almost certainly is a lose-lose.
                        Oh, it's a bad idea, for sure. Trade for him if you want him.

Still, having the ability to pull the chute in February if the year is a disaster for whatever reason isn't necessarily a bad thing.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

This is good to hear. So if Kawhi sulks, the Raptors could trade him to LA for something plus future picks. Potentially helping in the rebuild. LA would love to get him a year early because LeBron is not going to go along with any tank moves this year. LA playing in the west, even with LeBron and Kawhi could wind up with mid 20's picks, unless the mysterious injury flares up again, which only improves the picks. So there is some insurance against "bad Kawhi."

Comment

Oh, it's a bad idea, for sure. Trade for him if you want him.

Still, having the ability to pull the chute in February if the year is a disaster for whatever reason isn't necessarily a bad thing.
                            That is really good to hear. At the least we could get some assets back to replace losing OG and the likely first round pick.

Comment

• twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• I would only trade for Kawhi on the condition that he immediately sign a max extension.
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X