Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derozan isnt in the top 20 of players in the NBA. His former team-mate Lowry is better then him.

Comment

• DeMar was fantastic last year. His play really dropped off though after the all-star break. Might have something to do with this depression or his father.. or he was just beat up.

But I had DeMar better than Lowry for most of last year.. and I think he deserved the second all-nba title, plus the MVP mentions (I believe he finished 10th on the ladder).

DeMar improved his decision making.. was a really good play maker. And invested in his 3pt shot, and wasn't shy to take it. If he can keep that up he's a top 20 player easily.

It's the defense though that's always going to be a problem. And Lowry can struggle at times, but DeMar is no where the defender Lowry is.

Comment

• His stock took a major hit in the playoffs.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
          Thanks.

Well, if we go off raw stats, Kawhi is a much more efficient basketball player and greatly affects one side of the ball significantly more than DeRozan ever has. So, I think that account comes purely from: adding efficiency, better percentages, adding defence.

To be honest, it's not that crazy to think Kawhi is that much better of a player than DeRozan.

DeRozan is maybe a top 15 player. Maybe.
          (Personally, I think Lowry is a better player).

Kawhi Leonard, when healthy, is arguably the second best player in the world.
          As DanH mentioned above.. we also have to take into account our bench. Our young guys were unknown so it was harder to build a model around their value. This year we have what they provided to us last year.. especially OG and Fred.. and those help improve our numbers.

Hopefully our bench guys continue to play strong this year and doesn't regress. I'm hoping Fred is at least as good as he was last year. He was the main reason why our bench was so awesome. OG might since he might see less time as a starter or a change in position (if he moves from SF to PF for example). But again I'm cautiously optimistic there too.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            DeMar was fantastic last year...

It's the defense though that's always going to be a problem. And Lowry can struggle at times, but DeMar is no where the defender Lowry is.
            Other guys are just miles ahead offensively than he is, and even if they don't play defence, they impact the game at such a big level. i.e. Harden.

Realistically, he's not 1A guy, so, that in itself puts him behind quite a few guys. A list off the top of my head.

1. LeBron
            T-2. Durant
            T-2. Leonard
            4. Curry
            5. A. Davis
            6. Harden
            7. Giannis
            8. Westbrook
            10. CP3
            11. P. George
            12. J. Butler
            13. K. Irving
            14. D. Cousins
            15. K. Thompson
            16. Embiid
            17. Lillard
            18. Wall
            19. D. Green
            20. Lowry

Then, defensively, he really can't guard anyone, which hurts his 'stock' even more in my opinion. He's an all-star calibre scorer, with below average defence and inconsistent range.

planetmars wrote: View Post
            As DanH mentioned above.. we also have to take into account our bench. Our young guys were unknown so it was harder to build a model around their value. This year we have what they provided to us last year.. especially OG and Fred.. and those help improve our numbers.

Hopefully our bench guys continue to play strong this year and doesn't regress. I'm hoping Fred is at least as good as he was last year. He was the main reason why our bench was so awesome. OG might since he might see less time as a starter or a change in position (if he moves from SF to PF for example). But again I'm cautiously optimistic there too.
            I'm really looking forward to the young guys, too. What's exciting is knowing Fred-Wright-OG-Siakam will have a year of playoff experience playing significant minutes, which is huge for their development.

I am cautious too, but I expect them to be as good, if not better, and the team is arguably deeper and more versatlie than last season's roster.
            Last edited by ReubenJRD; Sat Aug 4, 2018, 06:29 PM.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post

Kawhi Leonard, when healthy, is arguably the second best player in the world.
              Jalen: Kawhi is the 2nd best player in the NBA

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=23799478

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                Jalen: Kawhi is the 2nd best player in the NBA

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=23799478
                I think the consensus opinion is that he is the second best player in the world, but with Durant's rise as of late, whether or not you think that's because he's playing with three other all-stars (soon to be four), it'd be hard to convince me that Kawhi's the clear-cut second best.

Durant has become one of the best defenders in the league, by necessity. He's also a better shooter and a shot creator than Kawhi.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Clippers trading Sam Dekkar to the Cavs (Cavs apparently using Kyrie's TPE in this transaction)

Comment

• Lets keep it simple: Kawhi is the 3rd best SF in the NBA. Durant is damn good and pretty much a legit All-star since being 20 years old. Kawhi is a legit All-Star since turning 24 years old and only been at this status for 2 years. Kawhi needs a large sample of games to prove he is better then Durant and as a result of last season, his questionable injuries placed him farther back then he was until he can prove otherwise.

Comment

• Didn't see this one posted so forgive me if it has been. Perhaps the Ringer has been reading DanH's columns

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/8...-kawhi-leonard

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                        Didn't see this one posted so forgive me if it has been. Perhaps the Ringer has been reading DanH's columns

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/8...-kawhi-leonard
                        You don't have to read DanH's column to understand that swapping a certified playoff MVP for a certified playoff underperfomer should make a huge difference towards winning the East, on paper. Raps were already the favourites to win the East going into the playoffs, last year, lest everyone forgets. Switching out Casey for Nurse is much harder to predict how that's going to go.

Comment

• http://www.nba.com/powerrankings

NBA.com power rankings have the Raptors 2nd overall in the East. Pay attention to Key incoming players, its funny.

Comment

• Vegas odds are out:

54.5 wins for Raptors. Tied with Philly in the East for 2nd.

I would bet over.. but Kawhi and a new head coach could bring that down if things don't go according to plan.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                              http://www.nba.com/powerrankings

NBA.com power rankings have the Raptors 2nd overall in the East. Pay attention to Key incoming players, its funny.
                              Uncle Dennis definitely needs a parking spot.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Vegas odds are out:

54.5 wins for Raptors. Tied with Philly in the East for 2nd.

I would bet over.. but Kawhi and a new head coach could bring that down if things don't go according to plan.
                                48-49 wins for the Lakers and only 47 for the Nuggets... I don't know about that list. Seems pretty random.

Comment

Working...
                                X