This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    This is sports ethnocentrism at its apex.
    Broaden your lens Dan.
    I agree with Dan. Not saying one is better than the other, but superstars are more important in the NBA. It’s why a team like the Vegas Knights can get to the Finals in their first year in existence without a star. It’s a team-centric sport. Nothing like that could ever happen in today’s NBA.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
      I agree with Dan. Not saying one is better than the other, but superstars are more important in the NBA. It’s why a team like the Vegas Knights can get to the Finals in their first year in existence without a star. It’s a team-centric sport. Nothing like that could ever happen in today’s NBA.
      I agree. There's also some pretty simple math. Top NHL players average around 24 out of 60 minutes on the ice. Lebron averaged 37 out of 48 minutes last season.

In the NHL, no matter how great you are, you can only affect 40% of the game, because that's how long you are on the ice. You need a team to carry you.

In the NBA, you can affect 80% of the game (or even more in the playoffs) because you're playing that much. You can carry your team for the 80% you're on, and so long as the rest of the team doesn't lose too badly in the 20% you're off, you can win.

Comment

• Random question, but how many two way players is each team allowed to have on their roster going into the regular season?
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
          Random question, but how many two way players is each team allowed to have on their roster going into the regular season?
          Two.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Two.
            Didn't we have like 3 last season in Malachi, Miller and Mckinnie? Or am I mistaken. Also does that mean that since Jordan Lloyd is a 2 way guy we are only probably keeping one of Kay Felder and Boucher on our team? I'm assuming we are most likely signing Lorenzo to the big team from everything I'm hearing so I'm not even considering him as a 2 way
            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Random question, but how many two way players is each team allowed to have on their roster going into the regular season?

Comment

Didn't we have like 3 last season in Malachi, Miller and Mckinnie? Or am I mistaken. Also does that mean that since Jordan Lloyd is a 2 way guy we are only probably keeping one of Kay Felder and Boucher on our team? I'm assuming we are most likely signing Lorenzo to the big team from everything I'm hearing so I'm not even considering him as a 2 way
                We traded Bruno for Malachi. Malachi was drafted by kings
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                  We traded Bruno for Malachi. Malachi was drafted by kings
                  Ohhh yea. I forgot about that

Comment

We had Brown and Miller. McKinnie was on a minimum NBA deal. Malachi on a rookie scale deal.

Lorenzo has already signed to the big team. Definitely not a two way. Loyd is a two way, and Boucher and Felder can both be converted to two-ways after camp, but we only have room to convert one of them. The other could stick with the big team or just get cut. Probably Boucher gets the two way spot and Felder is cut.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                      Kuh wrote: View Post
                      I agree. There's also some pretty simple math. Top NHL players average around 24 out of 60 minutes on the ice. Lebron averaged 37 out of 48 minutes last season.

In the NHL, no matter how great you are, you can only affect 40% of the game, because that's how long you are on the ice. You need a team to carry you.

In the NBA, you can affect 80% of the game (or even more in the playoffs) because you're playing that much. You can carry your team for the 80% you're on, and so long as the rest of the team doesn't lose too badly in the 20% you're off, you can win.
                      Its tough to measure the impact that individual players have on their respective teams when its compared to a similar situation in a different sport. The classic who is better argument in a bar with a table full of sports fans.

The Raps won 59 games last year and had .. shall we say... an unceremonious exit from the post season that cost the coach and the teams best player their jobs. What happened didn't meet expectations. Enter Kawhai Leonard.

The Leafs put up 106 points and got bounced in the first round. Second year in a row. Changes too were made as expectations were not met. Enter John Tavares.

In their sports these two players rate highly ... arguably top 5 in their respective games.

Tavares is being viewed as the player to get the Leafs to the same point as Leonard is for the Raptors. The conference final as the floor and the Cup and NBA Finals as the expectation.

To raise the expectations that far ... in either sport... says that both players have "it".

Tavares is every bit as important to the Leafs and their goals as is Leonard is to the Raptors to meet theirs. Both are superstars. Just a wider lens view. Because without either player both winter sports teams are not the favourites these two players make them.
                      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Sep 9, 2018, 10:07 AM.
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

We had Brown and Miller. McKinnie was on a minimum NBA deal. Malachi on a rookie scale deal.

Lorenzo has already signed to the big team. Definitely not a two way. Loyd is a two way, and Boucher and Felder can both be converted to two-ways after camp, but we only have room to convert one of them. The other could stick with the big team or just get cut. Probably Boucher gets the two way spot and Felder is cut.
                        Oh I see! Thanks!

Comment

Its tough to measure the impact that individual players have on their respective teams when its compared to a similar situation in a different sport. The classic who is better argument in a bar with a table full of sports fans.

The Raps won 59 games last year and had .. shall we say... an unceremonious exit from the post season that cost the coach and the teams best player their jobs. What happened didn't meet expectations. Enter Kawhai Leonard.

The Leafs put up 106 points and got bounced in the first round. Second year in a row. Changes too were made as expectations were not met. Enter John Tavares.

In their sports these two players rate highly ... arguably top 5 in their respective games.

Tavares is being viewed as the player to get the Leafs to the same point as Leonard is for the Raptors. The conference final as the floor and the Cup and NBA Finals as the expectation.

To raise the expectations that far ... in either sport... says that both players have "it".

Tavares is every bit as important to the Leafs and their goals as is Leonard is to the Raptors to meet theirs. Both are superstars. Just a wider lens view. Because without either player both winter sports teams are not the favourites these two players make them.
                          It's really actually super easy to see who has a bigger impact and NBA players have a far larger impact on their teams than NHL players.

Consider, you've equated the two scenarios, when really the Leafs are adding a superstar to their existing core for nothing but cash, while the Raptors swapped out an All-NBA talent for Kawhi. The resulting optimism for each team takes a leap, and we'll accept your premise that said leap is about equal - meaning that upgrading by the difference between Kawhi and DeMar is basically equal to just adding a superstar in hockey. Meaning, obviously, that Kawhi's raw value far exceeds Tavares', which is the correct conclusion.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

It's really actually super easy to see who has a bigger impact and NBA players have a far larger impact on their teams than NHL players.

Consider, you've equated the two scenarios, when really the Leafs are adding a superstar to their existing core for nothing but cash, while the Raptors swapped out an All-NBA talent for Kawhi. The resulting optimism for each team takes a leap, and we'll accept your premise that said leap is about equal - meaning that upgrading by the difference between Kawhi and DeMar is basically equal to just adding a superstar in hockey. Meaning, obviously, that Kawhi's raw value far exceeds Tavares', which is the correct conclusion.
                            Simple math. Assuming we're comparing non-goalies to NBA players, an NBA superstar can actually play an entire game, which would be un-heard of in the NHL. That said, a true superstar goaltender (or a goalie that gets hot at the right time) could have an equal or greater impact on a team than even an NBA superstar, which does actually happen in the NHL.
                            Last edited by golden; Sun Sep 9, 2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• 1. I don't believe Kawhi will get the MVP win, could be close.

2. There will problems with Ibaka always coming off the bench. I see him as a starter at times and backup at others. You want to keep the peace as well as win.

3. Unless OG takes a turn for the worse I dont see how the fans can turn on him. OG was a great defender and as long as he plays solid defence, he will be alright. I also think he might be averaging at least 10 points a game.
                              Last edited by Hotshot; Sun Sep 9, 2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah sorry but this is a losing argument ds. It's clear as day that the top tier talent on nba roster is much much more (for a lack of a better word) important than in the NHL, or any other sport for that matter.

The Vegas knights thing? Where your best player is maybe the 50th best player in the world and the rest of your roster came from other teams scrap heap going to the finals is a fine example of "well, that would NEVER happen in the nba"
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X