Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahh so Wade wants the Kobe treatment to finish his career.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
      Ahh so Wade wants the Kobe treatment to finish his career.

Not surprising, he has a massive ego
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• 9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Holy shit. That's JV!
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
            Question now is:

Which team would be able to (1) provide a contending environment for him that's a clear step above Minesota's situation, (2) have the depth of assets to do it, (3) have the willingness to do it knowing he could walk in the summer.

Not many teams out there are poised to that for him right now (Which doesn't put Minny in a position where they can ask too much). Raps is one such team though, even though we're already equipped to go to the finals as currently constructed imo.
            It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I can't imagine Minny wants to let him go before the season, considering they have a chance to be a very good team. Not to keen on a midseason trade though.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
              It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I can't imagine Minny wants to let him go before the season, considering they have a chance to be a very good team. Not to keen on a midseason trade though.
              The positive for minny is towns and Wiggins are still very young. So if you know forsure butler Is gonna bolt you probably should flip him for young assets. Its not like this year is all in with an aging core.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                Based on pure speculation, it will probably be either:

Lakers
                Raptors
                Pelicans
                Knicks
                76ers [*shudders*]
                Timberwolves

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  The positive for minny is towns and Wiggins are still very young. So if you know forsure butler Is gonna bolt you probably should flip him for young assets. Its not like this year is all in with an aging core.
                  Yeah, but still for a franchise with a garbage history, why trade away your best player when you are probably a top 7 team in the league. Plus its not like they are getting good assets, I mean look at the deals we are suggesting, and what the market for khawi was. Not to mention if they have a very good year he may well come back. You don't give up on star players for pennies on the dollar, especially if your franchise has been garbage for the better part of the last couple decades.

EDIT: Plus I don't think Wiggins is someone you build around, it has never looked like he gives a hoot about winning when he plays.

On a different topic: Think we see any moves with the intent on shedding salary and tax dollars midseason? Can't imagine ownership is eager to pay tax dollars when they perhaps have too many rotation players.
                  Last edited by DogeLover1234; Mon Sep 17, 2018, 02:34 AM.

Comment

• I think the Butler trade would be harder to pull off than Kawhi even though he's an inferior player. One, there haven't been any reports that he desperately wants to go to any specific team, so less teams are likely to rule themselves out of being able to re-sign him. Two, we don't have anything that stands out like last time in terms of being able to give up an all-star in return. We'd be making a package of picks and prospects, which is something that could be blown out of the water by Philly or Boston among others if they wanted to get him. Maybe they wouldn't want to risk their assets on a rental though, idk.

It's also a little tricky to match salary. We have to send out about $16.3M to make a deal work. Assuming none of our top 4 salary guys are in the deal we'd have to send out Danny Green, Wright, OG and then a few filler contracts like Malachi Richardson or Lorenzo Brown.

Things are also tough because it because very risky to include future 1st round picks. If Butler/Kawhi both walk, we'd really be in some trouble going forwards.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                      I think the Butler trade would be harder to pull off than Kawhi even though he's an inferior player. One, there haven't been any reports that he desperately wants to go to any specific team, so less teams are likely to rule themselves out of being able to re-sign him. Two, we don't have anything that stands out like last time in terms of being able to give up an all-star in return. We'd be making a package of picks and prospects, which is something that could be blown out of the water by Philly or Boston among others if they wanted to get him. Maybe they wouldn't want to risk their assets on a rental though, idk.

It's also a little tricky to match salary. We have to send out about $16.3M to make a deal work. Assuming none of our top 4 salary guys are in the deal we'd have to send out Danny Green, Wright, OG and then a few filler contracts like Malachi Richardson or Lorenzo Brown.

Things are also tough because it because very risky to include future 1st round picks. If Butler/Kawhi both walk, we'd really be in some trouble going forwards.
                      OKC would probably make a huge bid and do have interesting assets (Adams & Schroeder) that they could dangle.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                        I think the Butler trade would be harder to pull off than Kawhi even though he's an inferior player. One, there haven't been any reports that he desperately wants to go to any specific team, so less teams are likely to rule themselves out of being able to re-sign him. Two, we don't have anything that stands out like last time in terms of being able to give up an all-star in return. We'd be making a package of picks and prospects, which is something that could be blown out of the water by Philly or Boston among others if they wanted to get him. Maybe they wouldn't want to risk their assets on a rental though, idk.

Any future pick would have to be lotto protected, though I doubt we get as sweetheart a protection as the Kawhi pick. Probably multiple years of eligibility before converting to 2nds.

We won't be matching Butler's contract directly. The Wolves will almost definitely look to get off that Dieng deal as well, and it's really easy to construct a package to match the 35M total they are owed.

Ultimately it again comes down to whether teams are willing to risk their assets on a possible rental. Maybe one team is, and if so, we are obviously out of the running. But with so many teams loading up cap space for next summer, the flight risk/opportunity to add him without losing assets is very real.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Wasn't it reported that Butler said he would love to play for the Lakers? I could see the Lakers making a play for him.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            Wasn't it reported that Butler said he would love to play for the Lakers? I could see the Lakers making a play for him.
                            Wonder if Thibs would want Butler in the Western conference or not? Generally teams don't like trading star players to their foes.

If Thibs doesn't care, than one team that I wouldn't rule out would be Portland. I don't know if it would ever be on the table but I would look into a McCollum for Butler swap. Lillard needs a defensive ace next to him. CJ has 3 years left on his deal. Not a good defender but as close to an all-star as you can find in the league without actually being one.

Risky to trade a good player for a rental.. but the Raps did it. And Portland sort of feels like in the same boat as Toronto. Both got smacked around in the playoffs yet had really good regular seasons.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Wonder if Thibs would want Butler in the Western conference or not? Generally teams don't like trading star players to their foes.

If Thibs doesn't care, than one team that I wouldn't rule out would be Portland. I don't know if it would ever be on the table but I would look into a McCollum for Butler swap. Lillard needs a defensive ace next to him. CJ has 3 years left on his deal. Not a good defender but as close to an all-star as you can find in the league without actually being one.

Risky to trade a good player for a rental.. but the Raps did it. And Portland sort of feels like in the same boat as Toronto. Both got smacked around in the playoffs yet had really good regular seasons.
                              Does Butler have any leverage here? Can he dictate where he gets traded to because I can't see him wanting to go to Portland.

And I don't think anyone will be using the Kawhi to Toronto trade as a blueprint for anything yet. Still a huge bust potential for Toronto. CJ for Butler makes a lot of sense for Portland though. Could really help them in the playoffs to have another great scoring option so teams can't lock in on Lillard.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                Does Butler have any leverage here? Can he dictate where he gets traded to because I can't see him wanting to go to Portland.

And I don't think anyone will be using the Kawhi to Toronto trade as a blueprint for anything yet. Still a huge bust potential for Toronto. CJ for Butler makes a lot of sense for Portland though. Could really help them in the playoffs to have another great scoring option so teams can't lock in on Lillard.
                                Butler does not have a no trade clause.. but like you said teams might be shy to give away anything for a rental.

Comment

Working...
                                X