No announcement yet.

Game #56: Miami Heat 112 - Toronto Raptors 115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooohhh forgot about the whole DeRozan/Dragic thing.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

RIP to those of us who wanted OG to get rest:

Axel wrote:
      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
      KeonClark wrote:
      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
      KeonClark wrote:
      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
        What does the Raptor actually do at games besides walk around and throw the odd t-shirt into the crowd?
        If the dude can't launch off a trampoline through a ring of fire while dunking over a dance Pack member, what good is he?
        You kidding me? The Raptor is a national treasure! Seems every year or 2 I gotta pull up this article by Zach Lowe, who calls him his favorite mascot (and Zach loves his mascots)

But the popularity of the inflatable Raptor has almost overshadowed the regular Raptor and all the brilliant stuff that guy does all over the floor. The Raptor is manic. He is a whirlwind of activity. My wife barely even watches games when we go together; she cannot take her eyes off the Raptor. Fans mostly pay attention to mascots when they have center stage, and the Raptor is fantastic at that stuff. He’s athletic, he can dance, he’s funny, and his video skits are high comedy — the perfect mix of levity and a type of violence, mostly directed at opposing “fan” characters, that is edgy without being threatening or uncomfortable. In one game against Miami last season, the big scoreboard played a skit in which the Raptor, walking around Toronto, came across a “Heat fan” playing Queen’s “We Are the Champions” on a boom box. Cut to the Raptor finding an aluminum baseball bat and smashing the boom box. Next skit: The Raptor is in yoga class, hilarious on its own, since a large dinosaur performing downward dog next to a bunch of young women in yoga clothes, everyone acting as if this is perfectly normal, is a great joke by itself. But lo and behold, the same Heat fan, wearing a Dwyane Wade jersey, happened to be in the Raptor’s yoga class, and he was one of those annoying grunters. Cut to the Raptor tossing a giant yoga ball, quite hard, flush in the guy’s face. Brilliant. And by the way: Mascots generally write and conceptualize all these skits on their own, with some help from an assistant. They are writer, director, and editor in lots of cases. If the skit fails, it’s on them, and them alone.

But the Raptor is just as good when the game is on center stage, leaving him to mill around the court and the crowd. That’s really where the magic happens for the best mascots. Oh, hey, there’s the Raptor clowning a security guard along the baseline, just trying to get the stone-faced guy to laugh. Oh, wait, he’s leaving to go taunt an opposing fan, and maybe to “accidentally” knock that fan with his tail on his way to the next interaction. Wait, hold on: Is he actually going to stand up along that wall in front of the first row of seats, use it as a balance beam, and attempt a freaking cartwheel on top of it? Yes. Yes, he is, just to entertain fans who might spot the stunt during game action.

Oh, now he’s approaching an unsuspecting fan from behind, trying to “bite” at his arm with giant dinosaur jaws, or maybe just stare at the guy’s head until he turns around, terrified to find Raptor inches from his face. Once that’s over, maybe the Raptor will stand in a fan’s way as the fan tries to return to his seat, and shift left and right as the fan tries to get around him. From there, it’s on to hugging people, entertaining kids, trying to eat a garbage can, or maybe swiping a bit of someone’s popcorn, before the next timeout requires a skit or a dance.

The Raptor’s energy reserves are endless, and the fans are the big winner as a result. The sadness popping up today isn’t some snarky meta-joke about the state of the Raptors franchise, or one of those “Ha, isn’t this ridiculous, let’s do a blog post on it and move on” bits of silliness that makes the Internet run. People are legitimately sad! And for good reason. The Raptor is a genius, a master of his craft. The in-arena experience in Toronto won’t be close to the same without him.
        http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...eat-performer/
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Hopefully Jonas can take a picture with me for my 20,000th post. He can make this a side gig
          He should just publish a wicked shot with blank paper and green screen for the internet like Shia

Comment

It would really be annoying to lose to the Heat again, so let's not do that
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
              It would really be annoying to lose to the Heat again, so let's not do that
              Dragic and wade are both on my list of players with punchable faces. And that dude names Tyler with the 50 million contract
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                Dragic and wade are both on my list of players with punchable faces. And that dude names Tyler with the 50 million contract

Comment

Just hoping for a good game. Jonas gotta bring it tonight.
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

OG looks good
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Everyone in the starting 5 has taken a 3 except for JV. Why would you freeze out the greatest shooter of all time like that?
                      OG is our king

Comment

• we are playing horrible offence, my god.

Comment

• I guess typical CJ. On one day off the other
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Hopefully the bench picks the team up.

Also, watching Ibaka is just too damn frustrating some nights. I'm definitely starting to hope that we can use his salary in a trade at some point before it expires.

Comment

• Those Heat uniforms man. Feels like there should be a conga line happening.

Comment

• And right when I say that he hits the deepest 3 he's taken lol
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X