Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #70: Oklahoma City Thunder 132 - Toronto Raptors 125

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KeonClark wrote: View Post
    So glad they made this last 2 minute report to fix officiating once and for all
    Yeah, I really don't get the point of them. All they do is make people more upset
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

    Comment


    • Actually to me that's interesting because I didn't know that was the rule.

      So as long as the ball is in someone's hand, you can slap their hand and dislodge the ball and it's not a foul. I think that's pretty clearly what happened on the play, so maybe we owe the officials an apology for that non-call?

      Honestly I still think the ruling of correct on Poeltl's foul on Curry is more egregious. If that's not principle of verticality than verticality doesn't exists.

      (No apology for ejecting literally everyone afterwards though that was ridiculous.)
      That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

      Comment


      • Other Scott wrote: View Post
        Actually to me that's interesting because I didn't know that was the rule.

        So as long as the ball is in someone's hand, you can slap their hand and dislodge the ball and it's not a foul. I think that's pretty clearly what happened on the play, so maybe we owe the officials an apology for that non-call?

        Honestly I still think the ruling of correct on Poeltl's foul on Curry is more egregious. If that's not principle of verticality than verticality doesn't exists.

        (No apology for ejecting literally everyone afterwards though that was ridiculous.)
        That's the rule, but they rarely make the distinction in-game imho. That all happens too fast.

        What's crazy is replay of guys barreling to the bucket cradling the ball with both arms like a running back. There's TONS of contact in those situations that doesn't get called. They can't call it all, they'd be whistling down every drive in traffic.

        You have to hope your star player gets the call in the type of situation DD was in tho. Plenty of them do.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

        Comment


        • I've been watching basketball for about 30 years.
          How have I made it this far, through all these seasons, all these playoffs, watching all the greats, and I've never once before heard your hand is a part of the ball? Like, do people know this??? That seems absolutely absurd to me and the weakest excuse for a non-call. And why haven't I subsequently seen this exploited consistently? Why don't players just slap your shooting hand every time you're about to shoot??? Or dribble for that matter??? Tell you what, if Lebron gets his hand slapped on a shot. Suddenly Lebron's hand is actually ...by some miracle.... his own fucking hand and not "a part of the basketball"

          Comment


          • You can't rely on refs to send you to the charity stripe in one of the final possessions of the game. The whistles are practically put away at that point, it's not just Toronto it happens to either.

            Bottom line, Westbrook was getting free and finishing tough attempts at the rim. Derozan had a chance to make that despite the foul, and he didn't. They also made a couple of big 3s at the end and we missed a lot of shots. The refs didn't do that.
            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

            Comment


            • Westbrook missed his clutch attempt, screamed "and-one," then after the miss the ref blew the whistle to send him to the line for free throws. He had a chance to make it despite the foul, and didn't. Difference is he got the call.

              I'm not saying there is some bias by the refs, but the difference in that game sadly came down to a marginal foul call on one end and a marginal no-call on the other with no consistency between the calls.

              It sucks. Nothing to do but move on and try to avoid that situation again. Still sucks though.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

              Comment


              • I could swear when the replay was aired during the game that Brewer caught Demar on the arm, between wrist and elbow, and caused Demar to lose the ball, which he quickly regained but then missed the layup. Has that replay been posted anywhere, I gotta look at that again now.

                Comment


                • DanH wrote: View Post
                  Westbrook missed his clutch attempt, screamed "and-one," then after the miss the ref blew the whistle to send him to the line for free throws. He had a chance to make it despite the foul, and didn't. Difference is he got the call.

                  I'm not saying there is some bias by the refs, but the difference in that game sadly came down to a marginal foul call on one end and a marginal no-call on the other with no consistency between the calls.

                  It sucks. Nothing to do but move on and try to avoid that situation again. Still sucks though.
                  It's all about consistency. Bias exists, but it can be minimized. Honestly, If three refs are having a hard time controlling the game, then maybe it's time for the NBA to start serious discussions about adding 4th official(at least on the baseline). Eight eyes are better than six.

                  Comment


                  • ok, just looked at it again and looks like it might have been hand brewer contacted. Still should have been called a foul though, other top players would get that call every time.

                    Comment


                    • rocwell wrote: View Post
                      It's all about consistency. Bias exists, but it can be minimized. Honestly, If three refs are having a hard time controlling the game, then maybe it's time for the NBA to start serious discussions about adding 4th official(at least on the baseline). Eight eyes are better than six.
                      Many of the non-calls are made right in full view of an official. Another set of biased eyes isn't going to help. We don't need more officials, we need consistent non-biased calls.

                      But as many have noted, the NBA WANTS biased phantom fouls called and fouls on the "lesser" team ignored for ratings and revenue.

                      The NBA has always had the worst officials in pro sports and that's not changing any time soon.
                      #Tim Donaghy
                      Last edited by G__Deane; Mon Mar 19, 2018, 09:55 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Comment


                        • G__Deane wrote: View Post
                          Many of the non-calls are made right in full view of an official. Another set of biased eyes isn't going to help. We don't need more officials, we need consistent non-biased calls.

                          But as many have noted, the NBA WANTS biased phantom fouls called and fouls on the "lesser" team ignored for ratings and revenue.

                          The NBA has always had the worst officials in pro sports and that's not changing any time soon.
                          #Tim Donaghy
                          FIFA has the worst referees in pro sports.

                          Comment


                          • rocwell wrote: View Post
                            FIFA has the worst referees in pro sports.
                            Agreed. And rugby union has the best - if you as much as raise your voice at the refs and are not the captain then you get a penalty. Especially if Nigel Owens is the ref.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X