Game #72: Toronto Raptors 129 - Cleveland Cavaliers 132

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post
    I don't really know if this is true or not. But if this is true and if therr are NBA players who are on roids and the NBA don't care about it then shouldn't Barry Bonds be in the HOF?
    Yeah their testing process looks fair enough, I'm pretty skeptical of the lack of high profile finds. I mean this is now an era where we know athletes use PED's (of some sort at least) in virtually every sport, it can be from scrubs all the way up to GOAT's using them, and it can advance to the level of state sponsored programming. PED's are everywhere.

George Karl had a rant about them in his book but he ranted about a lot of things. Mostly I think both the NBA and it's fans don't really care. We want to see insane athletic feats.

As an interesting aside, Mark Cuban actually argues publicly for using PED's for things like injury recovery. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole issues shifts from "Cheating!" to "sports science" eventually.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Zach Lowe:

"The Cavs with Love at center are unstoppable. The only way to beat them is to outscore them. Only one team -- last season's Warriors -- has managed that in the playoffs. As I wrote last week, Love at center might be the only lineup type in the Eastern Conference with enough shooting to play Toronto's centers -- Jonas Valanciunas and Jakob Poeltl -- off the floor.

That overall matchup would be fascinating. What happens if OG Anunoby quakes on the big stage? The Raps typically go with three guards when Anunoby rests. None of those guards can defend LeBron. That means a big man has to do it -- Serge Ibaka or Pascal Siakam. OK. Then who's guarding Love -- regardless of what position he's playing? An undersized wing or a plodding center? The answer against Love-at-center groups could be neither if Toronto plays Siakam and Ibaka together -- a tandem Dwane Casey has used more in the past two weeks, but interestingly played for less than a minute against the Cavs on Wednesday."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...kevin-love-nba

I'm 100% convinced that Casey, who we now know is Popovich North, played possum with the Ibaka/Siakam pairing in preparation for the playoffs. Dude is not putting all his cards on the table. He is a viper in in the grass. Everything is fine until guys with baseball bats down the alley and your lunch money turkey broadside of a barn.

How do the Raptors best defend Lebron + 4 shooters? That lineup turns guys like Channing Frye and George Hill into Raptor killers. That wasn't just one lucky game for Cleveland, that is a system that works.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        Zach Lowe:

"The Cavs with Love at center are unstoppable. The only way to beat them is to outscore them. Only one team -- last season's Warriors -- has managed that in the playoffs. As I wrote last week, Love at center might be the only lineup type in the Eastern Conference with enough shooting to play Toronto's centers -- Jonas Valanciunas and Jakob Poeltl -- off the floor.

That overall matchup would be fascinating. What happens if OG Anunoby quakes on the big stage? The Raps typically go with three guards when Anunoby rests. None of those guards can defend LeBron. That means a big man has to do it -- Serge Ibaka or Pascal Siakam. OK. Then who's guarding Love -- regardless of what position he's playing? An undersized wing or a plodding center? The answer against Love-at-center groups could be neither if Toronto plays Siakam and Ibaka together -- a tandem Dwane Casey has used more in the past two weeks, but interestingly played for less than a minute against the Cavs on Wednesday."

I'm 100% convinced that Casey, who we now know is Popovich North, played possum with the Ibaka/Siakam pairing in preparation for the playoffs. Dude is not putting all his cards on the table. He is a viper in in the grass. Everything is fine until guys with baseball bats down the alley and your lunch money turkey broadside of a barn.

How do the Raptors best defend Lebron + 4 shooters? That lineup turns guys like Channing Frye and George Hill into Raptor killers. That wasn't just one lucky game for Cleveland, that is a system that works.
        Fingers crossed this is accurate.

Comment

Zach Lowe:

I guess Zach Lowe missed the first game we played them, where Love played C and we smashed them by 30+ pts, and JV and Poeltl destroyed the Cavs inside/on the glass.

Don't think that matchup really matters. In the end, beating LeBron usually depends on slowing him down with stretches of good man D and possibly some zone D that make it hard for him to elevate his teammates. It won't matter who's "matched" on Love if guys are always overhelping because of LeBronophobia. There were plays the other night where all 5 guys would drop into the paint on his drives, and then be way too far from shooters. Need better discipline and help schemes, and Pascal and OG will have to play well enough on him for stretches.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            I guess Zach Lowe missed the first game we played them, where Love played C and we smashed them by 30+ pts, and JV and Poeltl destroyed the Cavs inside/on the glass.

Don't think that matchup really matters. In the end, beating LeBron usually depends on slowing him down with stretches of good man D and possibly some zone D that make it hard for him to elevate his teammates. It won't matter who's "matched" on Love if guys are always overhelping because of LeBronophobia. There were plays the other night where all 5 guys would drop into the paint on his drives, and then be way too far from shooters. Need better discipline and help schemes, and Pascal and OG will have to play well enough on him for stretches.

Re: that first bit - that was the "old" Cavs team which definitely had issues beyond on-court systems.

I agree in general, the Raptors should approach Lebron + shooters the way they played Houston. Give up some Lebron dunks, but don't give up 60+% on 3's from the role players.

Really hope with some rest to see the Raps' defence regain some of the consistent form and sharpness we got used to seeing up until a few weeks ago. W/L matter much less right now than just getting the right amount of rest and returning to form. It's been a slog.

Comment

Re: that first bit - that was the "old" Cavs team which definitely had issues beyond on-court systems.

I agree in general, the Raptors should approach Lebron + shooters the way they played Houston. Give up some Lebron dunks, but don't give up 60+% on 3's from the role players.

Really hope with some rest to see the Raps' defence regain some of the consistent form and sharpness we got used to seeing up until a few weeks ago. W/L matter much less right now than just getting the right amount of rest and returning to form. It's been a slog.
              Well said. If Calderon and George Hill shoot Like Klay and Steph we are going to be in trouble. Got to keep the role players in check.

Comment

The D only really started struggling with the Dallas game. We've had no time to practice or rest. Fully expect things to sharpen back up once they are able to rest and practice a bit. Especially important for the starters as OG likely has not practiced since coming back and Ibaka is running on fumes.

Comment

Also, this doesn't take into account Thompson and Nance, who will play if healthy and Thompson could easily start. So those guys getting minutes should work in our favour in terms of bigs matching up.

Comment

Zach Lowe:

Last year... on a clear day with no wind ..... I hit almost every fairway off the tee and made more than half the greens in regulation and I finally broke 90. Everything went right.

Just like that one day when everything went right didn't make me an 80's golfer so too does one night where Lebron puts up 35 and 17 with no turnovers and hits 12 of his 14 FT's make the NewLooks unstoppable per Mr. Lowe.

What it does say is that with a once in 35 years epic effort from Lebron and a combined 10 of 12 night from Love/Caldy/Hill that the NewLooks can beat the Raptors on the NewLooks home court by one possession.

A little ready - fire - aim on the newly found invincibility of the NewLooks.
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Mar 23, 2018, 12:14 PM.
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                      Last year... on a clear day with no wind ..... I hit almost every fairway off the tee and made more than half the greens in regulation and I finally broke 90. Everything went right.

Just like that one day when everything went right didn't make me an 80's golfer so too does one night where Lebron puts up 35 and 17 with no turnovers and hits 12 of his 14 FT's make the NewLooks unstoppable per Mr. Lowe.

What it does say is that with a once in 35 years epic effort from Lebron and a combined 10 of 12 night from Love/Caldy/Hill that the NewLooks can beat the Raptors on the NewLooks home court by one possession.

A little ready - fire - aim on the newly found invincibility of the NewLooks.
                      TheScore put it pretty well:

The math done changed

In their four-game sweep of the Raptors in last year's Eastern Conference semis, the Cavs thoroughly owned the 3-point line. They hoisted 41 more threes in the series and outscored the Raptors by 102 points from beyond the arc. One hundred and two. In four games. The math problem Cleveland exposed in that series was arguably the biggest impetus for Toronto's culture reset this season, and the proof of the new system's efficacy has been in the pudding.

In the past, the Raptors would've been completely buried by the kind of shooting night the Cavs just had, but on Wednesday, they still almost pulled out a win because they got up 10 more threes than Cleveland, and matched their 15 makes. Nor were they chucking just to chuck; the Raptors' ball and player movement was crisp all night, their motion sets and ball reversals and cuts and flare screens scrambling the Cavs' defense until open looks presented themselves. And sure, Kyle Lowry splashed a handful of heat-check pull-up triples for good measure.

Comment

• I hated that we lost.. that was a winnable game. That 3rd quarter run the Cavs had should have been snuffed out earlier and we should have not been in a situation where we had to make something happen down the stretch.

The thing that irked me the most though was how dumb DD was. Why did he take a long two with like 10 seconds left knowing they were down 3? And this isn't the only time he made a stupid decision like that. Forget what game it was, but he did something similarly then.. except IIRC he bricked the attempt.

Wish DD wasn't the guy making decisions down the stretch. He's been really great this year, but that's why he's no league MVP.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I hated that we lost.. that was a winnable game. That 3rd quarter run the Cavs had should have been snuffed out earlier and we should have not been in a situation where we had to make something happen down the stretch.

The thing that irked me the most though was how dumb DD was. Why did he take a long two with like 10 seconds left knowing they were down 3? And this isn't the only time he made a stupid decision like that. Forget what game it was, but he did something similarly then.. except IIRC he bricked the attempt.

Wish DD wasn't the guy making decisions down the stretch. He's been really great this year, but that's why he's no league MVP.
                          I am with SR on this one.... Casey isn't in the COY running again this year because he is someones brother in law. He is a smart professional coach and as such...just like you don't show your hand at the card table before the last players at the table makes their last bets... .. neither do you show what you might have in store for future meetings when there is more at stake than there is as the season winds down.
                          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                          - TGO

Comment

• I went through this one on twitter again yesterday afternoon, rewatched and posted a lot of screenshots. Lots of concerning stuff, especially the first quarter defense.(what a complete mess)

At the same time, a lot of positives. Realistically, Fred hits his three with 3 minutes to go, the Raptors probably win this game. And that was a great look.
                            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Zach Lowe:

Comment

• Here's what I took from this game:

1. We missed CJ

2. Cavs look very beatable this year. A good team, but a shadow of the cavs of yesteryears. Series now is 1-1, with our W being a blowout, and their W a 1-possession game, with us on the 2nd night of an "all-road" back-to-back.

3. Lebron was excellent on both games, but this is still a team sport, and as good as you may be, you will not consistently beat teams like the GSW, Rockets or Raptors "by yourself".

4. If we had won this game by 1 instead of losing it by 3, everyone would be talking about the the 79 points we put up on the first half, the most allowed by a Lebron team ever. It's amazing how a couple of possessions going the other way on the 4th, can change the entire narrative on who the teams really are, not just currently, but on the playoffs ahead. A couple of possessions. Goes to show how sensationalist the media is, and how gullible fans sometimes are to eat it up.

5. In 2018, the Raptors never lost by more than 6 points (2 possessions). The only exception was the last L to OKC, by 7. Teams have a very, very difficult time beating us, especially at the ACC. Anytime someone beats us, it's aways in a dogfight to the bitter end.

Comment

Working...
                                X