No announcement yet.

This team isn't going to the finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main issue with this team is their lack of mental toughness. Lowry and DeRozan can act tough all they want, as soon as a little adversity hits, or they have to rise to the occasion, more times than not they cower.

I'll reserve my judgement until the playoffs start, perhaps they are just tired of the regular season (which might be an issue in itself). However if we flame out once again this has to be the final straw for everyone, finally admit defeat and start fresh.

Comment

• Deems wrote: View Post
      Main issue with this team is their lack of mental toughness. Lowry and DeRozan can act tough all they want, as soon as a little adversity hits, or they have to rise to the occasion, more times than not they cower.

I'll reserve my judgement until the playoffs start, perhaps they are just tired of the regular season (which might be an issue in itself). However if we flame out once again this has to be the final straw for everyone, finally admit defeat and start fresh.
      Can add Casey to the list, too. Crunch time coaching isn't encouraging. Helter-skelter lineups, not using timeouts proactively to end runs, and allowance of slow-paced ISO possessions.

We turtle too much in high pressure situations.

Comment

• The teams playoff performance will tell the tale, but I don't think it's all on Demar, Lowry and Casey (i.e. the core). Neither of those guys are superstars and cannot carry a team on their own like some of the top guys can. This team depends on alot of players playing at a high level, and those guys playing well helps Lowry and Demar have the space and opportunity to be effective. We have a rookie tasked with guarding the opposing teams best player most nights, and a cast of younger players coming off the bench. In a halfcourt game, Pascal will be completely ignored by the opposing teams D unless he is the ballhandler. Opposing teams are gonna get physical and go after OG and Poeltl and try to rough them up. We need CJ, Ibaka and FVV to be constant threats from deep when they are on the floor. This team needs alot to go right in order to make the finals, and alot depends on relatively inexperienced players playing well above their experience level. It's going to be tough.

Next year, we may be better suited for a deep playoff run with these young guys getting valuable playoff experience this year and hopefully improving over the offseason. Of course, there are numerous teams that could make huge strides themselves in the offseason negating any improvement we may see from the current roster. But my guess is they stay the course for another year unless somehow we get bounced in the first round...then maybe drastic changes will be called for.

Comment

• We’re definitely winning a chip this year

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
            We’re definitely winning a chip this year
            Potato or tortilla
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Potato or tortilla
              Cow

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                But if you knew after these playoffs that you wanted to rebuild, then why wouldn't you try to trade Lowry and Ibaka as early as possible, i.e., when they are younger and still under contract for 2 years to the receiving team? Trade value should be higher, no?
                Value would be lower imo. Their value probably increases when they're expirings and we can take on salary in combination with draft picks and young players.

What team is going to move real assets for Lowry or Ibaka right now?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Can add Casey to the list, too. Crunch time coaching isn't encouraging. Helter-skelter lineups, not using timeouts proactively to end runs, and allowance of slow-paced ISO possessions.

We turtle too much in high pressure situations.
                  100% Agreed. The Raptors run some of the most garbage plays with time running out of the clock. Most of the time I get baffled why Casey or Lowry would even bother calling a timeout and let the defense get set because 90% the play is gonna be either Demar or Klow Iso.

Comment

• keefec wrote: View Post
                    100% Agreed. The Raptors run some of the most garbage plays with time running out of the clock. Most of the time I get baffled why Casey or Lowry would even bother calling a timeout and let the defense get set because 90% the play is gonna be either Demar or Klow Iso.
                    Its this dumb narrative that the team’s best players should have the ball in their hands in the clutch, even though its so much better to do what you do for most of the game and move the ball around. People always forget about the Kerrs and the Allens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                      Its this dumb narrative that the team’s best players should have the ball in their hands in the clutch, even though its so much better to do what you do for most of the game and move the ball around. People always forget about the Kerrs and the Allens.

Or sometimes, juuuust sometimes, that role player is in the right place at the right time

I'll never forget watching that live. For the tie..Kobe..miss...Shaq..miss...Kings swat it out....oh dear
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Big shot Bob's uncanny ability to be where the universe needs something of great value to be and preform wonders is Marvel Comic-esque unbelievable.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Or sometimes, juuuust sometimes, that role player is in the right place at the right time

I'll never forget watching that live. For the tie..Kobe..miss...Shaq..miss...Kings swat it out....oh dear
                          What's funny is that Horry made zero attempt at crashing the glass. Basically just a spectator after Kobe's shot went up.

Comment

• Why is every single conversation online right now about whether or not Toronto can beat Cleveland to get to the finals? Every single team below the top 3 in the playoff right now in the east are playing well. Neither Cleveland or Toronto are a lock to beat ANY of the teams below them. In Cleveland's case, they have Lebron, and the NBA executive behind them pushing ratings so they have a leg up...but Toronto??? Fuck me, they do NOT want them making it out of the first two rounds, trust me...it will NOT be easy pickings against anyone. Period. So Toronto vs Cleveland???? Hell no, the huge match up is whoever is in front of them, and if they DO make their way out of the East, they deserve way more credit than many will give them.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

People also forget the Spurs.

But its the iso plays that make the highlight reels during the HOF induction ceremonies.

Comment

Working...
                              X