The final standings of the East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The final standings of the East

There have been a few threads that touch on this but most mess with the karma of trying to plan for who we might play. Otherwise, the comments get lost in daily game threads or the overrated thread. The East is absolutely crazy now with the bottom three teams separated by one game and the same for the middle three teams. How will Embiid's injury affect things? Will teams adjust to avoid the Cavs in the first round? Will teams tank to face Toronto? How might the final game of the year play out? Lot's of things to watch for in an entertaining way without tempting fate. Enjoy the final stretch.

My ideal (within realistic possibility) would be:

1.) Raptors
    2.) Celtics
    3.) Cavaliers
    4.) Sixers
    5.) Pacers
    6.) Heat
    7.) Bucks
    8.) Wizards

I want some revenge on Washington for 2015 and I think we'd handle them pretty easily even if Wall comes back. Porter just picked up an injury too.

Boston would get the Bucks and I think without Kyrie they could very easily get upset in that series. Even if they don't idc, because it means that in the second round LeBron has to either go up against Giannis or against the Celtics (hopefully with Kyrie back by that point) which should both be tough for him.

Cavs against the Heat is perfect. LeBron hasn't won in Miami since leaving and I think Spoelstra knows him well enough, plus they have the personnel to make it an unnecessarily long series. I think with this bracket setup the Cavs could have to play 12, maybe 13 playoff games before getting to the conference finals.

Pacers vs. Sixers by default. Don't really care but without Embiid we stomp either of those teams in round 2 so that's the easiest road for us.

Comment

The one team that for sure will play the matchup game are the NewLooks...I think we see a couple more of the mysterious flat as a pancake type efforts the Cavs gave in Miami the other night when they mailed one in.

The NewLooks have to figure out if finishing 4th to play the suddenly Embiid-less and turnover prone Hinkies and then have to play the Raptors in round 2 is a better option than finishing 3rd and drawing either the offensively challenged Heat or the now Porter and Wall-less Wizards in round 1 and then perhaps getting the Kyrie-less Chowderheads (if they survive the first round) in round 2. I love to dump on the Chowderheads but those guys just like Caseys Raptors play to win every night. That can't be said for Lebron who quit on the OldLooks mid season and almost looked like he didn't try against the Heat as to not show up his friend Wade.

No one saw the injury bug bite hard last week and derail the Hinkies march to homecourt and perhaps send the Wizards as far down as 7.

The Pacers have played consistently well since Christmas. If you do it that long its unreasonable to expect that Indy will suddenly go pffft in the last 8 games down the stretch.

If there is grinfucker bone in Casey's body the Raps could play with the NewLooks jockeying plans by winning in Chowdertown on Saturday and then resting everyone against Cleveland on Monday in order to whup the Chowders on the second night of a back to back and clinch 1st at home. This throws a bit of a spanner at the NewLooks as they will have to hope they can lose faster than the Hinkies can win without Embiid or if the Pacers can win more against a pretty tough strength of schedule set of teams to wrap up the season.

Lots and Lots of variables and subterfuge at play ... So todays long range forecast for April 11th is ...

1 Raps vs 8. Bucks
      2.Chowderheads vs 7. Wizards
      3. Cavs vs 6. Heat
      4. Pacers vs 5. Hinkies.
      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Mar 30, 2018, 01:54 PM.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

I can see there being some jockeying for the 7th spot to face the Celtics rather than cavs. Obviously it’s a bit early and anything can happen but with Embid’s injury Cleveland “should” hang on to 3rd.

Comment

The teams that are jockeying for positions 6 thru 8 will definitely want to get lined up with the Celtics opposed to the Raptors and Cavs, especially with the Kyrie injury. I have a ton of respect for Stevens and the job he's done in Boston with so many injuries but I think the Celtics are very prone to be upset in the first round, regardless of opponent.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
            the Celtics are very prone to be upset in the first round, regardless of opponent.
            I think this year in the East, every team is prone to exiting the first round, there aren't any easy matches. Things like style & matchup will determined who gets to move forward. Out of potential 4-8 matchups, facing the Wizards in the first round is the worst outcome for the Raps IMO. A healthy Wall-Beal-Porter is a nightmare matchup especially if they figure out how to click better in the playoffs.
            Last edited by Hotshot; Fri Mar 30, 2018, 04:38 PM.

Comment

The Raps should be able to handle any of the bottom 5 no issue, but I admit my heart would appreciate it if we didn't end up matched to Washington in the first round. That's just one of those odd matchups where guys just don't play well for some reason. I'm sure they'd hammer it out but I'll stick with my personal preference to dodge them. I also doubt they fall all the way to eighth anyway.

So, my ideal, and also what looks pretty likely at this point:

TOR
              BOS
              CLE
              PHI
              IND
              MIA
              WAS
              MIL
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The only thing that changed last night is that the bottom three are even closer (just 1/2 game apart). Middle three are still one game apart. If I get some time later, I’ll try and post all the tie breaker scenarios.

Comment

I'm an old so it would be dope if someone better plugged in could post some of what the other clubs fan bases are saying about seeding.

I mean I'm not so old that I'm against an ego stroke of the Wizbang fanbase shaking in their boots at the possibility of falling into our bracket.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                    I'm an old so it would be dope if someone better plugged in could post some of what the other clubs fan bases are saying about seeding.

I mean I'm not so old that I'm against an ego stroke of the Wizbang fanbase shaking in their boots at the possibility of falling into our bracket.

If you ever played competitive sports you know that having to play the first place team in your age group or division or Conference was never a good thing . Never. They were first for a reason.

Only here do I see some kind of weird logic that the last couple teams who make it to the playoffs have some kind of innate advantage and are manoeuvring to get to play the best team in the playoffs.

Fascinating.
                    - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                      If you ever played competitive sports you know that having to play the first place team in your age group or division or Conference was never a good thing . Never. They were first for a reason.

Only here do I see some kind of weird logic that the last couple teams who make it to the playoffs have some kind of innate advantage and are manoeuvring to get to play the best team in the playoffs.

Fascinating.
                      Gotta be Stockholm syndrome, or some such, RapsFan have been burned and they now side with their captors. During the streak spins started to straighten, but they can't shake the sense that it could all be a ruse designed to catch them sleeping.

Best I can find so far are many teams wanting to avoid LBJ for as long as possible and ideally being in a hobbled Boston bracket. Though many seem to think Cavs fall to 4th/5th and see us and them as the bracket of death.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                        Gotta be Stockholm syndrome, or some such, RapsFan have been burned and they now side with their captors. During the streak spins started to straighten, but they can't shake the sense that it could all be a ruse designed to catch them sleeping.

Best I can find so far are many teams wanting to avoid LBJ for as long as possible and ideally being in a hobbled Boston bracket. Though many seem to think Cavs fall to 4th/5th and see us and them as the bracket of death.
                        In as an unforgiving "what have you done for me lately" business model as there is...pro sports stands alone.

Last year was last year. Last month is nice... What about today. Right now.

The current playmates that Lebron has in his playground are not of the caliber of Kyrie Irving or have the playoff experience of Frye or Shumpert or Jefferson. Lebron is great... his team is not....

The MSM are guys in the stands.... the players in the league including the Cavs are the guys who have to play the Raps on the court.......and the guys who play hear footsteps ...big loud dinsosaour footsteps... and they're close
                        - TGO

Comment

It’s a furious fight to the finish with 6 games to go. Now along with the bunch at the bottom and the bunch in the middle, the two at the top are within striking range of each other. Still one game between 3-4 and one game between 6-8. As far as I can tell, Miami has all the tie breakers of the 6-8 set. Washington would have the tiebreaker over the Bucks if it were just the two of them. As for the top two, as we know, the Celtics would have the tiebreaker if they beat us on Wednesday. If we beat them and are tied, we would have the tiebreaker. tie breakers later.

Comment

With the Raptors struggling of late, it doesn't seem like any one position is locked up anymore. Going to be an interest week in the NBA.

Throw Washington in the mix for a team that the Raps may play in the first round now. Can't believe they got spanked by 19 points against the Bulls. But then again Miami lost to Brooklyn in OT at home.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              With the Raptors struggling of late, it doesn't seem like any one position is locked up anymore. Going to be an interest week in the NBA.

Throw Washington in the mix for a team that the Raps may play in the first round now. Can't believe they got spanked by 19 points against the Bulls. But then again Miami lost to Brooklyn in OT at home.
                              With Bucks, Heat trying to tank to face us. Raptors decided to fuck with them too. Now nobody knows who is gonna end up where
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                              X