X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octothorp
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    It's the way Lowry and Derozan are losing in the playoffs is what critics are focusing on..... the consistent and sometimes historic drop-off from the regular season to the playoffs in the past. And then they went out and gushed about Lebron while they're trying to beat him. That's why people think it's mental.

I'm hoping that most of that was because the Ride & Die system put them in a no win position. When you think about it, all Lowry needs to do is knock down his 3's and we should be in every game.
    What I disagree with isn't saying that there's a mental component to it. I accept that, I fully believe that there's a major mental component to winning. What I disagree with is the idea that the mental side of it isn't something that you can work on and improve upon. Just being in those situations repeatedly makes you better at them, and being able to rise to the occasion is something very few pro athletes can do at an elite level in their first opportunities.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Interesting stat. 6 of the 8 teams in the East are hovering slightly above or below break-even against > .500 teams. Doesn't seem to highlight us as clear cut playoff favorites, like Houston and GSW are out west, even though we're roughly in the same net rating range for the season.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Just noticed...Kyrie Irving out for the season...another knee surgery.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I was just hearing exactly that on the radio this morning. Peyton manning "couldn't win"..until he did. Steve yzerman was a perennial loser...until he wasn't. Zetterberg and datsyuk, hell, Michael fuckin Jordan. The bulls were a treadmill team that should just blow it up because their core doesn't have it, if it was 1989 and the internet existed
    It's the way Lowry and Derozan are losing in the playoffs is what critics are focusing on..... the consistent and sometimes historic drop-off from the regular season to the playoffs in the past. And then they went out and gushed about Lebron while they're trying to beat him. That's why people think it's mental.

I'm hoping that most of that was because the Ride & Die system put them in a no win position. When you think about it, all Lowry needs to do is knock down his 3's and we should be in every game.

Leave a comment:

• Cody73
    replied
    This thread is glorious.

AND WE SHALL BE VICTORIOUS.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I was just hearing exactly that on the radio this morning. Peyton manning "couldn't win"..until he did. Steve yzerman was a perennial loser...until he wasn't. Zetterberg and datsyuk, hell, Michael fuckin Jordan. The bulls were a treadmill team that should just blow it up because their core doesn't have it, if it was 1989 and the internet existed
    Also...Lebron James.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    octothorp wrote: View Post
    See, I think golf is a terrible analogy for the point he's trying to make. Golf is full of guys who didn't have 'it', until suddenly they put together a great weekend at a major and then it turns out they actually did have 'it'. Sergio Garcia, for a recent example. The reality is that if you're good enough to win a lot of tour tournaments and constantly be in the mix in the majors, then eventually you're likely going to win a major. This is more about the backward-looking way that we craft sports narratives than about some truth of winning.

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    As maddening as it was to listen to this, I sort of agree with the golf analogy. There are a lot of great golfers on Thursday, but only a select few can rise above the pressure/expectations, and thrive on Sunday.

I love my Raptors, but there have been many a times when the moment has been too big for them. EDIT: See every Game 1, lol.
    See, I think golf is a terrible analogy for the point he's trying to make. Golf is full of guys who didn't have 'it', until suddenly they put together a great weekend at a major and then it turns out they actually did have 'it'. Sergio Garcia, for a recent example. The reality is that if you're good enough to win a lot of tour tournaments and constantly be in the mix in the majors, then eventually you're likely going to win a major. This is more about the backward-looking way that we craft sports narratives than about some truth of winning.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    007 wrote: View Post

Eyyyy, let's go. He's calling Sixers over Raptors second round
    I wonder if they changed their mind even slightly the next night when the Raps beat the Celtics....probably not since it was a sloppy game and the Celtics were without Irving yada yada yada

What the heck would these guys be saying about the chances of the Wiz, Bucks or Heat against the Cavs

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    octothorp wrote: View Post
    Here ya go:

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied

As maddening as it was to listen to this, I sort of agree with the golf analogy. There are a lot of great golfers on Thursday, but only a select few can rise above the pressure/expectations, and thrive on Sunday.

I love my Raptors, but there have been many a times when the moment has been too big for them. EDIT: See every Game 1, lol.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

He won't be the only one. Bring it.

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

I was under the impression there would be at least some money or fame or awards...

Here ya go:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X