No announcement yet.

The DNA of A Championship Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They said it best on the Dunc'd on podcast. Unless you're the 2004 Pistons it's really hard to win the title without any top 20 players. We don't have any right now.

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
      They said it best on the Dunc'd on podcast. Unless you're the 2004 Pistons it's really hard to win the title without any top 20 players. We don't have any right now.
      The really tough part is that if you don't answer this question correctly--what is the DNA of a championship team?--then you will just keep trying to solve the problem incorrectly.

Masai seems to think you can solve this problem with culture first, which is why he is opposed to tanking.

But if he tries to retool instead of rebuild we may end up fucking the dog for another half-decade.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
        The really tough part is that if you don't answer this question correctly--what is the DNA of a championship team?--then you will just keep trying to solve the problem incorrectly.

Masai seems to think you can solve this problem with culture first, which is why he is opposed to tanking.

But if he tries to retool instead of rebuild we may end up fucking the dog for another half-decade.
        Giannis is arguably a top 5 player with plenty of pieces around him yet that organization seems to be on a treadmill. OKC had Westbrook and Durant yet they also seemed to fall flat. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't contain it not much success can happen.

Comment

"Talent" can only get you so far. Only one guy in this league makes a difference and that's Lebron James. Swap any team's worst player with Lebron James and that team is a contender. Nobody else in this league can create the same type of impact.

We can get an Anthony Davis, Giannis, Harden, Curry, Durant, etc.. and we'll be good. Probably make it to the ECF.. but the probability of beating Lebron would still be low. You would need at least two of the above to have a chance.

Unfortunately the only way to climb that ladder is to hope Lebron retires or goes out West. It's sad to say but it feels like those are our only two options. So might as well collect some draft picks and rebuild until Lebron is out of the league.

Will be sad following a team that can't win in the regular season though.

Comment

Deems wrote: View Post
            Giannis is arguably a top 5 player with plenty of pieces around him yet that organization seems to be on a treadmill. OKC had Westbrook and Durant yet they also seemed to fall flat. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't contain it not much success can happen.
            You can have superstar talent and lose.

But you cannot not have superstar talent and expect to win.

Comment

Masai knows how to draft and build a deep team; he's been doing it for years. If we landed a top talent, we'd be in the Finals

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
                Masai knows how to draft and build a deep team; he's been doing it for years. If we landed a top talent, we'd be in the Finals
                Depth doesn't win championships. Star talent does.

Who is the best player Masai has acquired in the eight years he's been a GM/executive?

Comment

Depth doesn't win championships. Star talent does.

Who is the best player Masai has acquired in the eight years he's been a GM/executive?
                  I think you missed my point.

Depth alone isn't winning a championship just like having a star player alone isn't winning a championship. You need a combination of both

Comment

Louis Williams, serge ibaka, fred vanvleet.

Damn
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Louis Williams, serge ibaka, fred vanvleet.

Damn
                      well he did re-sign Lowry 2 times and Derozan. That counts no?
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I don't need a title, I need hope. This group teased us with hope all season long, but it has quickly evaporated. That alone is why changes need to be made, to restore the hope that we could be a contender.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

For the record, I don't think Masai is opposed to tanking. Let's not forget that tanking was exactly what he was trying to do when he traded Gay and [almost] Lowry.

Comment

I think it's important to implement a culture before talent, with a proper culture expectations are set for all the players and coaches. Without it you have organizations like Sacramento, Phoenix, New York that have no idea who to look for or even how to develop top end talent.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              For the record, I don't think Masai is opposed to tanking. Let's not forget that tanking was exactly what he was trying to do when he traded Gay and [almost] Lowry.
                              True, but he also said:

"I think winning is what you want to build around …(not tanking). I'm not sure the karma is great when you do stuff like that."

July 2013
                              https://www.thespec.com/sports-story...at-for-awhile/

Tearing down a 34-win BC team is one thing. Tearing down your own perennial 50-game winner is another.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                And it's what he should do now.

Comment

Working...
                                X