Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The biggest statement I took from the presser was that he wanted to showcase someone's talents (JV) and hide their weaknesses. That was something I never got from Casey. He would have a system and stick to it, no matter how bad someone took to it. Especially when they were getting beat. It will be nice to see them exploit an advantage rather than match a teams playing style. (Small ball lineups)

    Comment


    • Miller said in his 50 years in the game he hasn’t seen many basketball minds like Nurse’s.

      "He likes aggressive offence. That’s kind of the way he played. He never saw an open three he didn’t like. Of course he could make them," said the coach through a gravelly voice. "You have very few players who not only know where to go on the floor in a play, know the options in a play, but they understand why, they understand the stress it puts on the defence. Nick was way ahead of the game.

      "There’s not very many people who can try to figure out ways to improve situations based on who the players are. That’s what a great point guard does, and Nick could mentally — and also physically because he made very few errors, despite the fact that he had some limitations athletically, he had a huge assist to turnover ratio, and he just understood."

      Miller noted that one of Northern Iowa’s highlights was beating an NCAA No. 3 seed when Nurse was on his staff.

      Miller was sad to see Nurse go when he left to be a player/coach with the Derby Storm of the British Basketball League, but "Nick is one of the guys you want to see move on."

      Miller is now a volunteer assistant with his son Ben’s Div. 2 program at University North Carolina Pembroke. He and Nurse have kept in touch in the almost 30 years since he left Northern Iowa. They talk regularly, and often the subject of conversation is the evolving NBA game. Miller laughed when he said Nurse is always way ahead of him.

      "He knows the NBA, he knows the philosophy, he knows the changes in the game, the game is totally different now, your players all have to be versatile players, not only offensively but also defensively, they have to be able to guard multiple positions," Miller said. "He’s way ahead of that curve. When we talk, he’s always out there somewhere I haven’t even thought about in basketball."

      KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Some nice quotes I hadn't yet seen from one of his mentors
      Really like this. I don't know Miller at all. I hope he knows what he is talking about.

      Comment


      • My biggest takeaway from the press conference and interviews on radio were that Nurse seems to be okay to experiment all season long. So we could lose more games than win. The goal is all about playoff success not regular season success.. or at least that's how I'm taking it.

        If it's true.. than I really like that approach. And I really hope it works out.

        Comment


        • JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          Don't forget Lou Will.
          The problem with Lou Will was mostly in the playoffs, didnt show up. Also players like Lou Will or James Johnson thrived after going to another team, which could mean they weren't exactly used correctly in T.O especially Johnson.

          Comment


          • planetmars wrote: View Post
            My biggest takeaway from the press conference and interviews on radio were that Nurse seems to be okay to experiment all season long. So we could lose more games than win. The goal is all about playoff success not regular season success.. or at least that's how I'm taking it.

            If it's true.. than I really like that approach. And I really hope it works out.

            Comment


            • Will be interesting to see if Nurse employs the same hockey lineups that Casey had. The bench mob was rolling all season long but maybe that's not a good thing?

              Comment


              • Hotshot wrote: View Post
                The problem with Lou Will was mostly in the playoffs, didnt show up. Also players like Lou Will or James Johnson thrived after going to another team, which could mean they weren't exactly used correctly in T.O especially Johnson.
                I think the problem with Lou Will was deeper than the playoffs, but it's to your point about certain players being relied on heavily, and then Masai not bringing them back. He didn't even low-ball Lou Will.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

                Comment


                • It's pretty interesting that Nurse was a player coach at one point. Don't hear of that much these days. Gotta have your head on a swivel to pull that off; must be great practice for in-game adjustments.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

                  Comment


                  • planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Will be interesting to see if Nurse employs the same hockey lineups that Casey had. The bench mob was rolling all season long but maybe that's not a good thing?
                    I think he will to a certain extent. In the press scrum after the conference they asked Nurse if Norm could be salvaged and he said definitely, and took some blame for Norm falling off last year. He said in practice Norm would work on a lot of stuff by himself while the bench mob were all working together as a unit, and that's why they had such great chemistry together and Norm didn't. He said Norm understands that now and will be practicing with the rest of the bench guys to join that chemistry.

                    He talked a lot about defense in the scrum and press conference and how that was our biggest issue, especially in the playoffs where offenses change and you can't stick to your base defense. More or less sounded like he suggested a bunch of changes to Casey but Casey decided not to use them and kept his base defense and we blew the series against Cleveland.

                    He specifically talked about JV and that he has some defensive limitations but they can be minimized if we use him in the right way with a combination of zone and man defense. Said his offense is already great and that he needs to be utilized more on that end as well.

                    Really seems like Nurse has a specific game plan for every player and a blueprint for how this team can succeed.

                    He also talked about going to the MIT Sloan Analytics Conference and how important it is to be on the cutting edge in basketball and even ahead of the curve, implementing new strategies before other teams figure them out. He said basketball has changed so much in the last 5 years and even 3 years that you can't just be doing the same old stuff.

                    Check out the scrum if you haven't, it's much more interesting then the press conference.

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAlOthIfYhI

                    Comment


                    • JV, Most Improved Player 2019
                      Normal Powell, Sixth Man of the Year 2019

                      Comment


                      • It doesn't really matter if he's the next Red Aurbach or Phil Jackson. At the end of the day you need high end players to compete, i don't care how good of a coach you are.

                        Red had a bunch of all time great Celtics on his team. Phil had MJ and Pippen and Rodman and Shaq and Kobe. Kerr had KD and Klay and Curry and Draymond.

                        Who do the Raptors have? DeRozan and Lowry? Lmao.

                        Comment


                        • Sonny wrote: View Post
                          It doesn't really matter if he's the next Red Aurbach or Phil Jackson. At the end of the day you need high end players to compete, i don't care how good of a coach you are.

                          Red had a bunch of all time great Celtics on his team. Phil had MJ and Pippen and Rodman and Shaq and Kobe. Kerr had KD and Klay and Curry and Draymond.

                          Who do the Raptors have? DeRozan and Lowry? Lmao.
                          With a better coach we go to the NBA Finals this year. Isn't that the goal? Going to the Finals? If the goal is beating the Warriors then forget about it, only thing that's going to beat them is father time.

                          Comment


                          • Primer wrote: View Post
                            With a better coach we go to the NBA Finals this year. Isn't that the goal? Going to the Finals? If the goal is beating the Warriors then forget about it, only thing that's going to beat them is father time.
                            Or just bad luck.

                            The ideal scenario is someone on their team getting injured late in the playoffs. So the goal is to get to the Finals, and hope you face a GSW team missing a key player (preferably Curry or Durant, but they could be beatable with Green or Thompson out), or that another team made it through the West because of a GSW injury. No other team in the West is all that scary at the moment.

                            Comment


                            • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              Or just bad luck.

                              The ideal scenario is someone on their team getting injured late in the playoffs. So the goal is to get to the Finals, and hope you face a GSW team missing a key player (preferably Curry or Durant, but they could be beatable with Green or Thompson out), or that another team made it through the West because of a GSW injury. No other team in the West is all that scary at the moment.
                              Let's say Houston beats the Warriors just because Houston is specifically built to beat the Warriors from a matchup perspective and the Warriors suffer a combination of malaise and fatigue.

                              Do you think the Raptors would stand a chance in that series if they're perfectly coached and get key improvements from young players?
                              That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

                              Comment


                              • Other Scott wrote: View Post
                                Let's say Houston beats the Warriors just because Houston is specifically built to beat the Warriors from a matchup perspective and the Warriors suffer a combination of malaise and fatigue.

                                Do you think the Raptors would stand a chance in that series if they're perfectly coached and get key improvements from young players?
                                Against Houston? The team we beat twice this year?

                                Yeah, with good coaching we could've won that kind of series this season, with the young guys as they were this year. Houston is James Harden, an aging Paul, and a bunch of flawed players.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X