Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Puffer wrote: View Post
    Just listened to Masai's presser from today and Nick Nurse on Sid and Friends. Very pumped. Glad for Canada Basketball that Nick will be returning through to 2024. Super pumped that the Raptors will (based on hints from Masai and Nick) be supporting the development of basketball in Canada.

    Also pumped on the Raptors new direction to positionless basketball using long, tall, smart players who can switch over 4 positions as referenced by both Masai and Nick. Clearly they are looking for strategies that can work when free agents don't want to come. Find non-superstars who elevate everybody's game because they play correctly, players who have high energy and are long and tall enough to be great defenders, and teach all of them to play selfless basketball looking for the great shot as opposed to the good shot. We'll see how it works out over the next couple of years.

    Fearless predicition...the NBA will be trying to copy the Raptors starting next season.
    We are kind of copying the Clippers positionless playoff lineup that took down the #1 seed Jazz and rendered DPOY Gobert useless: Kawhi, PG, Batum, Morris & Mann.

    Comment


    • Has anyone read Nick's book about his basketball travels. Just wondering what your impressions are. I gave a copy to my daughter for Christmas and am arranging to borrow it for a personal read.

      Or his book on Shooting the ball? Available from his foundation website.

      Comment


      • Puffer wrote: View Post
        Has anyone read Nick's book about his basketball travels. Just wondering what your impressions are. I gave a copy to my daughter for Christmas and am arranging to borrow it for a personal read.

        Or his book on Shooting the ball? Available from his foundation website.
        I read it. The stuff before he got to the nba was pretty interesting. Once the book begins to journey the raps Era of his it nothing anyone who would be on this board wouldn't know. Aside from a locker room quote or 2 from kawhi
        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

        Comment


        • bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

          I read it. The stuff before he got to the nba was pretty interesting. Once the book begins to journey the raps Era of his it nothing anyone who would be on this board wouldn't know. Aside from a locker room quote or 2 from kawhi
          Unfortunately, Nurse has been on a losing streak since he released the book about "how to win anywhere." lol. (1) Didn't defend the championship. (2) Finished in the lottery the next year. (3) Lost with Team Canada at home, despite having the best talent in the pool, by far. That's karma.

          Comment


          • golden wrote: View Post

            Unfortunately, Nurse has been on a losing streak since he released the book about "how to win anywhere." lol. (1) Didn't defend the championship. (2) Finished in the lottery the next year. (3) Lost with Team Canada at home, despite having the best talent in the pool, by far. That's karma.
            the team canada stuff isn't exactly fair because realistically we were missing murray, and SGA. We have those two and we win the tourney. we also had no depth at the 5.

            Comment


            • golden wrote: View Post

              Unfortunately, Nurse has been on a losing streak since he released the book about "how to win anywhere." lol. (1) Didn't defend the championship. (2) Finished in the lottery the next year. (3) Lost with Team Canada at home, despite having the best talent in the pool, by far. That's karma.
              Notable perhaps that his losing streak, as you put it, golden, includes our winningest regular season in franchise history.




              Comment


              • Gotta win the chip every year... what a bum.

                Comment


                • TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

                  the team canada stuff isn't exactly fair because realistically we were missing murray, and SGA. We have those two and we win the tourney. we also had no depth at the 5.
                  Yeah, but the other teams were missing, well, ok... they had.... Schilb!

                  Comment


                  • Look how much Team USA struggles, they win because they are a team of superstars. Winning in international competitions is very difficult if you don’t have continuity that the Euro teams have. It’s not just throwing a bunch of NBA players on the court, and it’s not Nick Nurse’s coaching.

                    Team Canada has identified that they need guys to commit now for the Paris Olympics.

                    Comment


                    • saints91 wrote: View Post
                      Look how much Team USA struggles, they win because they are a team of superstars. Winning in international competitions is very difficult if you don’t have continuity that the Euro teams have. It’s not just throwing a bunch of NBA players on the court, and it’s not Nick Nurse’s coaching.

                      Team Canada has identified that they need guys to commit now for the Paris Olympics.
                      It took USA a few games and then they figured it out with superior talent. They got the result that mattered. Canada easily had the superior talent in the Victoria qualifier... like, no other team was even remotely close.

                      As for Euro continuity.... Schilb only joined the Czech team a few years ago as a naturalized citizen. He's an American - he never played with them growing up. Satoransky stayed in Chicago after the NBA finished and never joined the team until they were in Canada.

                      One of our problems was single game strategy and execution in the Czech game. We couldn't guard either the perimeter or inside, especially in the first half. You can't give up 3-point shots AND layups. Worst case, you need to pick your poison. Coaching could have helped there.
                      Last edited by golden; Mon Aug 30, 2021, 10:13 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Appreciate Nurse a ton but we need coach Roy Rana for the Canadian team.

                        Comment


                        • No jinx but if we keep this up then Nick has got to be the favourite for Coach of the Year.

                          Guy is a fucking genius.

                          Comment


                          • Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            No jinx but if we keep this up then Nick has got to be the favourite for Coach of the Year.

                            Guy is a fucking genius.
                            If Raptors get a good seed like 4th, I can see it happening.

                            Had a shit last season, no Kyle, Scottie exceeding expectations, OG and Fred getting better and they get a solid seed? Nurse will deserve a lot of credit.

                            Comment


                            • A.I wrote: View Post

                              If Raptors get a good seed like 4th, I can see it happening.

                              Had a shit last season, no Kyle, Scottie exceeding expectations, OG and Fred getting better and they get a solid seed? Nurse will deserve a lot of credit.
                              He will get credit for beating the teams all the pundits put ahead of him. None of them will just admit they just didn't know what they were talking about. The only way the talking heads can make themselves look better is to credit Nurse with an unexpected season of genius decision making.

                              Comment


                              • Nick seems to be coming around more and more to the whole Birch thing. We've upgraded Birch to that FVV in the chip run role, where Green was just a nominal starter and by halftime Fred was playing with the starters. Just giving up the game and starting him has to be soon I think.

                                For now Nick is playing the team expertly, able to dig out of early holes by doing sneaky stuff like playing both OG and Fred with the bench for stretches (which essentially puts our starters up against their bench since Birch is out there) and closing games with the right lineups. Against better opposition we may not be able to dig out of those holes, so we'll see how the rotation develops over the next little while.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X