X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden
    commented on 's reply
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    I'd like to see them box out better on D and also fight for offensive rebounds where they often don't seem to even be contesting for them. That might be at the urging to get back on D so you never know.
    Boxing out better isn't really a tactic. It falls under the general bucket of "play harder" and "play smarter". Going for offensive rebounds is a 'pick your poison' proposition, because the Bucks are so deadly in transition, but we are slowing them down considerably in the half-court. Against this team, I think you'd have to forget about the OREBs and focus on sprinting back.

• iblastoff
    commented on 's reply
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Seeing as how none of us have direct access to nick nurse, I think hes just trying to encourage discussion. And looks like hes put it in the right place, a discussion forum.
    ok. while i agree that switching up the drive and kick would be a good option, i dont see how that can change now. bucks are something like #1 in defending driving plays, while toronto is insanely reliant on the drive for offense. so unless we have an entirely different offensive scheme, which is unlikely, that probably wont change.

i read somewhere that both lowry and kawhi shoot MUCH LESS on drives vs bucks, because of giannis and lopez on coverage and help defense. the problem is we dont have reliable outside shooters at all. so is our only option to just play the best defense ever and hope for the best again?

• G__Deane
    commented on 's reply
    I'd like to see them box out better on D and also fight for offensive rebounds where they often don't seem to even be contesting for them. That might be at the urging to get back on D so you never know.

• KeonClark
    commented on 's reply
    iblastoff wrote: View Post
    why would any of us know what nick nurse is gonna change
    Seeing as how none of us have direct access to nick nurse, I think hes just trying to encourage discussion. And looks like hes put it in the right place, a discussion forum.

• iblastoff
    commented on 's reply
    why would any of us know what nick nurse is gonna change

• Kagemusha
    commented on 's reply
    We won.
    I think he should stick with the same formula but even with more intensity and discipline.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; Tue May 21st, 2019, 04:44 PM.

• BrieflySpeaking
    replied
    Anyone heard anything?

It's disappointing to see the Raptors as a significant underdog in their own building. But, as it stands, the Bucks -3 line seems about right.

The Raptors Shot Quality in the three games so far has been .50, .47, .49. The Buck's Shot Quality has been .52, .53, .52. You are going to have a hard time beating a good team that consistently gets easier shots than you.

Through the first three games, we have been lucky that Milwaukee has shot rather poorly. In Game 3 the Bucks made just 14 of 44 three-pointers. They also shot a dismal 66.7% from the free throw line. If the Bucks had shot their normal percentages on those shots they would have scored an extra 8+ points. And we would be done.

Yes, let's give our starters credit, they have played some stellar defense, especially in the paint. But that doesn't explain the Bucks converting just 25 of 80 Wide Open 3Ps this series. The hard reality is that the Bucks have shot worse than expected on attempts that have a strong tendency to regress to the mean over time. I suspect that explains the shift in the betting line.

Unless the Raptor's coaches are content just to hope the Bucks shoot badly again they need to do something differently.

I would love to see a huge reduction in the drive and kick / drive and choke game and focus on swinging the ball and shooting over that packed paint. It seems to me we look so much better when we play that way. How about a few more off ball screens? We have better shooters than the Bucks, but we need to get them decent looks early in the clock. Of course, if the Bucks start coming out to contest then let Pascal and Kawhi go to work inside. At the very least, we introduce some higher variance into the Shot Quality equation.

The Raps are a tired team with a very thin bench. If we keep driving into the paint trying to beat the Bucks at their own game, our chances seem pretty remote. But, if we make them come to us, I really believe our starters have the talent, the experience and the character to beat anybody.

Any ideas or guesses on if and what Nick might change?

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    commented on 's reply
    Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    I mean now that Frank Vogel and Jason Kidd and JB Bickerstaff and David Fizdale and some guy named Moe in Memphis are off the market .. and the Raps are stuck in the ECF with that bum and reprobate Nick Nurse as those big time winners were being swept up ....should the Raps go big game hunting ?

Brad Stevens may be available

Fresh off winning exactly nothing for the 6th consecutive year....showing he is not able to manage pro athletes in a high visibility situation this year as well as not being able to get out the second round, again, and with what was supposedly the deepest talent base on any one team since the 95 Bulls ... does long time darling Brad Stevens become a coaching regime change target in the eyes of some posters on RR....

Based off this long string of successes.. including the Horizon League coach of the year and two final four appearances with 18 year olds on the resume...........Does the board begin a hire Brad campaign ? I mean... he has earned it ! Right ?

Or do the Raps stick with that stiff Nurse who is currently occupied in the Eastern Conference Finals....
    But I thought the Raps are where they are despite Nick Nurse?
    *I always throw in the caveat that he can be much better and some of his continuing moves are not beyond justifiable criticism, buts it's way over the top on RR.

• Demographic Shift
    commented on 's reply
    I mean now that Frank Vogel and Jason Kidd and JB Bickerstaff and David Fizdale and some guy named Moe in Memphis are off the market .. and the Raps are stuck in the ECF with that bum and reprobate Nick Nurse as those big time winners were being swept up ....should the Raps go big game hunting ?

Brad Stevens may be available

Fresh off winning exactly nothing for the 6th consecutive year....showing he is not able to manage pro athletes in a high visibility situation this year as well as not being able to get out the second round, again, and with what was supposedly the deepest talent base on any one team since the 95 Bulls ... does long time darling Brad Stevens become a coaching regime change target in the eyes of some posters on RR....

Based off this long string of successes.. including the Horizon League coach of the year and two final four appearances with 18 year olds on the resume...........Does the board begin a hire Brad campaign ? I mean... he has earned it ! Right ?

Or do the Raps stick with that stiff Nurse who is currently occupied in the Eastern Conference Finals....

• KeonClark
    commented on 's reply
    golden wrote: View Post

That's just a turrible take, man. We obviously have no control over the outcome, but it's just a discussion of what can be done, if anything, to improve the team's chances of getting to the Finals. Same discussion that was had after Philly made some clever adjustments, and how were we going to respond. First part of any discussion is analysing what's working or not working and why. We still have a chance to have a better season than 28 out of 29 teams. We don't have to settle for better than 27.
    Agree, I appreciate really tangible discussions on areas to improve as much as the next guy. There is a small group of extremely negative guys and the problem is they either start threads or pollute game threads.

remember the guy who held a funeral after game 3 last series? Shits embarrassing. Thankfully the noble scraptor defeated him In battle and he is dead until draft

• SkywalkerAC
    commented on 's reply
    golden wrote: View Post

Raptors bench has completely cratered and it has become a key factor in winning or losing this series. Our bench is even worse than a Jerebko, Bogut, Quinn Cook bench. Even with a 6MOTY candidate and a starter quality guy (Ibaka). Something is amiss.
    None of that supersedes the fact that Nurse has had both a successful season and post-season.

• Kagemusha
    commented on 's reply

This thread shouldn't even exist
    What can we gain out of this thread really?
    I think a game adjustments/strategies thread would have been fine
    where we can all discuss many other things.
    And if we somehow wins this round, won't you guys look pathetic?

• G__Deane
    commented on 's reply
    Apollo wrote: View Post

Is that sarcasm? They're losing 2-1 in the eastern conference finals... I think one problem in here is we may have a bunch of young fans who never suffered through the decade after Carter left town. Perspective people, perspective.
    Knowing Keon's normal take, I think it's obviously sarcasm.

• G__Deane
    commented on 's reply
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Uh, we've made it to the Conference Finals after a fantastic regular season performance from a first-year coach. What am I missing here?
    We didn't sweep the Magic, Sixers or the Bucks and fans need someone to blame.....
    I want to win this series for the chance to even win a game against the GSW (who I think the Raps match up with better than the Bucks) but where we are right now was a goal at the beginning of the season. Win a game or two in the ECF is ultimately not what we're after but really, still represents a successful season for saner heads.

• golden
    commented on 's reply

We've had a better season than 27 out of 29 other teams, and majority of the board is spending there days wondering what is rotten with this pathetic team
    That's just a turrible take, man. We obviously have no control over the outcome, but it's just a discussion of what can be done, if anything, to improve the team's chances of getting to the Finals. Same discussion that was had after Philly made some clever adjustments, and how were we going to respond. First part of any discussion is analysing what's working or not working and why. We still have a chance to have a better season than 28 out of 29 teams. We don't have to settle for better than 27.
Working...
X