No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the handsy D means playing more like Miami’s style. Those guys are on you every possession, the refs can’t call everything so they let Miami get away with a lot. He doesn’t want a passive defence. The Raptors hired an excellent defensive coach in Adrian Griffin. Pretty sure this style is coming from an outsiders view point on how to improve. The raps have quite a bit of length, they should play the passing lanes more.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      The point of DeMar guarding stars in the regular season is to get him to commit energy on that end. Then when you hide him in the playoffs, hopefully that mindset carries over. Will cost us regular season games. Might win us some playoff ones.

I'd prefer he be moved, but if he's here in the fall, Nurse HAS to try something to get him locked in defensively. This seems like as good an idea as any.
      Couldn't agree more. Because if Demar can somehow become an average defender consistently that will take him to a new level.
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
        I think the handsy D means playing more like Miami’s style. Those guys are on you every possession, the refs can’t call everything so they let Miami get away with a lot. He doesn’t want a passive defence. The Raptors hired an excellent defensive coach in Adrian Griffin. Pretty sure this style is coming from an outsiders view point on how to improve. The raps have quite a bit of length, they should play the passing lanes more.
        Well if handsy means aggressive I'm all for it. Because it's true, if you show the refs from the jump (preseason) that you're going to be playing an aggressive style of defence, as the season goes on and into the playoffs they start to respect it and you might get away with a little more fouls than the average team. As you said it worked for Miami and Boston used to get away with murder at times too.
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          The point of DeMar guarding stars in the regular season is to get him to commit energy on that end. Then when you hide him in the playoffs, hopefully that mindset carries over. Will cost us regular season games. Might win us some playoff ones.

I'd prefer he be moved, but if he's here in the fall, Nurse HAS to try something to get him locked in defensively. This seems like as good an idea as any.
          Yeah, I don't believe DeMar is going to suddenly become a lockdown defender, but I don't think he has to, either.

If he's going to still be here, he HAS to be an attentive defender though. Falling asleep kills us more than him being unable to be effective.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• I like what Nurse said there (to be honest, I just read the hot take, and not heard the actual piece).. but what really annoys me is that it feels like DeMar is coming back for another year.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
              I recall Nurse saying that the team wanted to hire a European coach. Looks like this guy coached Serge for the national team.. so there is a connection there that might help us. Like that this team is thinking outside the box. Would still like to see an experienced NBA coach on the sidelines as well.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                I like what Nurse said there (to be honest, I just read the hot take, and not heard the actual piece).. but what really annoys me is that it feels like DeMar is coming back for another year.
                It was obvious he was coming back. Who the hell wants to take on DD's contract? 28M for a playoff choke artist. It would've been a miracle if Masai found any suitors.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• I think if they're indicating DeMar is coming back, that means that the trade wasn't there that worked. Which is fine. Always knew that was a possibility.
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                    I think if they're indicating DeMar is coming back, that means that the trade wasn't there that worked. Which is fine. Always knew that was a possibility.
                    The problem is we'll never know if it was that or if Masai/Bobby just never even bothered trying to move him. It could be the ladder. They said "everyone is available".. but it doesn't mean they actually went and tried to move anyone.

Hard for anyone to get any read on what Masai and Bobby are thinking. And with no rumours associated with the Raptors (other than some vague interest in Ersan Ilyasova).. it feels to me like DeMar was never on the trade block.

Comment

Inject this straight into my veins.
                      Pretty straight forward dude. I like it.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• yeah Nurse doesn't do subliminal messages.
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

The problem is we'll never know if it was that or if Masai/Bobby just never even bothered trying to move him. It could be the ladder. They said "everyone is available".. but it doesn't mean they actually went and tried to move anyone.

Hard for anyone to get any read on what Masai and Bobby are thinking. And with no rumours associated with the Raptors (other than some vague interest in Ersan Ilyasova).. it feels to me like DeMar was never on the trade block.
                          I mean its hard to say what deals have been out there. Masai was never going to sell Demar for 50 cents on the dollar and aside from Kawhi, doesnt seem like anything worthwhile has been available. No draft picks seemed to be available, doesnt seem like any rebuilding team is eager to give up a core piece and obviously the Spurs are taking their time and are being stubborn. What that leaves maybe a wiggins deal or maybe a deal with bit pieces and a future pick, not convinced either of those are great. Wiggins has always been more hype and empty stats than production and I don't really see a reason for a rudy gay or blake griffin type deal.

Comment

But they wouldn't go out to try and move anyone/everyone, except maybe Ibaka (the fact that they seem to have approached Ilyasova's people at all makes me assume that he was a guy they were actively looking to move). You only do that if you want to tank, and even if moves are made, that doesn't seem to be the plan.

What is most likely is that instead they called teams who had players and assets they had interest in, and didn't offer anyone specific, instead seeing what teams asked for in return.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I don't believe DeMar is going to suddenly become a lockdown defender, but I don't think he has to, either.

If he's going to still be here, he HAS to be an attentive defender though. Falling asleep kills us more than him being unable to be effective.
                              Well put.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

The notoriously silent Raptors organization had it widely known that “no one’s untouchable.” I’m sure they looked. Masai could see what we all saw. (So could everyone else.) If a deal of value wasn’t there, what do you? I’m fine with them not making a bad deal, even though some people here have openly said sometimes you gotta be willing to do that. Fact is, we’re still within a hair’s breadth of being able to advance to the Finals as it stands. (And no team for a generation is gonna take down the dubs.. maybe Boston in a few years. Philly ain’t SHIT yet.)

I’d much rather watch a season where they continue to try and figure it out and push on through. Gimme the hard work of actually figuring something out over the la-la land tank amidst 20 other no-hope teams—waiting for shit to click in another 5-8 years. Win while he may as much as ye may. Liking Nurse calling shit exactly like he sees it. Also liking the possibility of signing this Spanish coach. Bravely forward Rappies.

Comment

Working...
                                X