No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Nurse will be just fine. He clearly understood and communicated to Masai during his job interview what he thought went wrong, what he is going to do differently and what he could do to improve (and that was before the trade of Kawhi).

Hopefully his assistant coaches would be extremely helpfull in the process and he would have better communication with them then he had with Casey (whom he butted heads with).

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
      I think Nurse will be just fine. He clearly understood and communicated to Masai during his job interview what he thought went wrong, what he is going to do differently and what he could do to improve (and that was before the trade of Kawhi).

Hopefully his assistant coaches would be extremely helpfull in the process and he would have better communication with them then he had with Casey (whom he butted heads with).
      One of the beat guys just tweeted that Nurse said none of the head coaches will be focusing on one aspect or one side of the game, i.e. Nurse on offense, Kalamian on defense. Said three or four assistants at the front of the bench will be having a say in everything going on. Which is what I like to hear. Different perspectives = more opinions, different solutions. Nurse is already being creative with his staff, which is a great sign that he's willing to adapt and make changes.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
        One of the beat guys just tweeted that Nurse said none of the head coaches will be focusing on one aspect or one side of the game, i.e. Nurse on offense, Kalamian on defense. Said three or four assistants at the front of the bench will be having a say in everything going on. Which is what I like to hear. Different perspectives = more opinions, different solutions. Nurse is already being creative with his staff, which is a great sign that he's willing to adapt and make changes.
        I've never understood the trend to use NFL style coaching (ie: offensive/defensive coordinators) in the NBA. The game is much more fluid and the same personnel are constantly switching from one to the other, without having purely offensive/defensive players/positions.

I like the idea of having specialized coaches that help contribute to a more organic and holistic approach to coaching the players, which I'm sure makes it a lot easier for players to understand and digest, rather than trying to think about two separate yet related playbooks. These players have been playing basketball at elite levels for their entire lives - let them play and put their natural skills and instincts to good use, rather than trying to make them think too much or act too mechanically.

I'm digging Nurse as head coach so far, from everything I've heard and read.

PS: I'm guessing there are no more role cards?!

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
          Nurse did say they would have specific focus, but that they would rotate every 10 games or so. So everyone will get turns on all things, and I'm guessing for practice they will strategize as a staff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I suspect players like to have a routine. If that routine is changed/altered it may mess them up.

On the other hand the regular season essentially is an 82 game practice. It's all about the playoffs this time around. So from that perspective it's a great idea.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              I suspect players like to have a routine. If that routine is changed/altered it may mess them up.

On the other hand the regular season essentially is an 82 game practice. It's all about the playoffs this time around. So from that perspective it's a great idea.
              This is what I like hearing in the comments. It's a new level of confidence in the team knowing that they're going to win a lot of games and have a lot of time during the season to try things out. I don't think they've every spoken this confidently in the preseason before.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                I suspect players like to have a routine. If that routine is changed/altered it may mess them up.

After last year ya

Comment

• Question: If the Raps win 55-59 games this year, does Nurse get consideration for COY?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Question: If the Raps win 55-59 games this year, does Nurse get consideration for COY?
                    Depends what every other teams does but I dont think so. That's where we're projected
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Question: If the Raps win 55-59 games this year, does Nurse get consideration for COY?
                      He should...assuming the other teams with 55+ win teams are the usual cast.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        Depends what every other teams does but I dont think so. That's where we're projected
                        Agreed on the bold. But wondering if he gets bonus points for being a rookie head coach.

Comment

Agreed on the bold. But wondering if he gets bonus points for being a rookie head coach.
                          I doubt it. Most of the credit if the season is successful will probably end up with Kawhi. When Casey won we put up those win totals with a top 25ish guy and a top 35ish guy according to ESPN and si etc. Kawhi is a top 5 guy so it's much easier to explain for them

Coy candidates dont usually have a top 3 mvp candidate on their team..and I could see the latter
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            I doubt it. Most of the credit if the season is successful will probably end up with Kawhi. When Casey won we put up those win totals with a top 25ish guy and a top 35ish guy according to ESPN and si etc. Kawhi is a top 5 guy so it's much easier to explain for them

Coy candidates dont usually have a top 3 mvp candidate on their team..and I could see the latter
                            I don't think the bolded is true though ... Mike D'antoni won it in 2017 (with Harden); and Steve Kerr won it in 2016 (with Curry). I'm sure we could go back further as well.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                              I don't think the bolded is true though ... Mike D'antoni won it in 2017 (with Harden); and Steve Kerr won it in 2016 (with Curry). I'm sure we could go back further as well.
                              Nurse has to win 65+ to even get in the conversation and even then the NBA will be loathe to give the COY to the Raptors 2 years in a row. It's either Brad Stevens or Quin Snyder's turn, if everything goes as (the NBA has) planned. Luke Walton and Brett Brown are dark horse COY contenders and they have MVP candidates, like you said. Bud also has a shot.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                                Phil Jackson & Pops come to mind as well.

If the Celtics beat out the Raps (horrors)... Stevens would get it... he's been on the cusp.

Comment

Working...
                                X