Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    Watching Cleveland flame out in the Finals pissed me off one last time. 7 games vs Pacers, 7 games vs Celtics, swept by GS - but 4-0 vs Toronto for the 2nd straight year. Changing the coach was not an optics move.
    True.. the changing of the coach had to be done....
    I hope the new jockey knows the horse itself is also a bit lame.....

    Still expect some more material changes to come during the annual flea market / swap meet that is the NBA draft....
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Jun 12th, 2018, 02:19 PM.

    Comment


    • #32
      No offense to Nick but unless there is a significant shuffle in the roster this team is never going to the finals.

      Comment


      • #33
        I don’t understand anyone acting like they already know what kind of coach Nurse is going to be just because he was already on the staff. Maybe he’ll be great, maybe he’ll be terrible….I have no idea. I’ve been an assistant coach at the university level. The head coach was a very close friend of mine and valued my input greatly. But the final decisions were his to make.

        I disagreed with his general defensive philosophy and expressed this to him when we were preparing for our first season together. He listened to my viewpoints, but decided that he preferred his original vision. Once he made that decision it was my job to help teach and enforce his philosophy as well as I could. If I couldn’t get over the fact that he wanted to play defence differently than I did, I could have left the team. But as long as I was on the staff, it wasn’t productive for me to be trying to undermine him to get my way. It was only productive for me to be delivering the same message that he wanted to deliver.

        If he had been fired and I had become the head coach I would have immediately started teaching defence differently than he was, but as long as he was the head coach it was in the best interest of the team for me to support him. My point is that just because Nurse has been on the staff for a while, it doesn’t mean we have any idea what he believes as a coach or how good a coach he is going to be.

        Edit: And this is coming from someone that was hoping the Raps would hire Messina.
        Last edited by livan33; Tue Jun 12th, 2018, 02:29 PM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Apollo wrote: View Post
          No offense to Nick but unless there is a significant shuffle in the roster this team is never going to the finals.
          I was on the RR podcast with Will Lou and the Writer's Write podcast with Josh Howe this morning, and said as much on both of them. This is a solid move, but the next move is the one that matters.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

          Comment


          • #35
            Apollo wrote: View Post
            No offense to Nick but unless there is a significant shuffle in the roster this team is never going to the finals.
            That's obvious. Let the off-season begin
            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

            Comment


            • #36
              I like the continuity. Seems that Nurse has established himself as a 'builder' and we know his offense took things in the right direction. Let's keep the momentum going.

              Comment


              • #37
                I'm honestly quite surprised. I truly thought Casey being fired signaled that Ujiri was looking for a big name with lots of experience to take over - I did not think he would fire Casey to turn the reins over to a first-time head coach from within the organization.

                Good for Nurse, though. I suspect he'll do a good job.

                Comment


                • #38
                  More threes from guys who shouldn't be shooting coming right up
                  Out for Load Management

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    People do realize that Nurse was an incredibly successful D-League coach before he became a NBA assistant, right?

                    That all the reasons people like Stack, also apply to Nurse?
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I hope he is a genius tactician because he doesn't seem like the type of guy who can control the locker room. No offence to him but if he tells Lowry to sit his ass down, would he really listen to him? If he doesn't earn his respect as a tactician, this will be terrible.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Deems wrote: View Post
                        I hope he is a genius tactician because he doesn't seem like the type of guy who can control the locker room. No offence to him but if he tells Lowry to sit his ass down, would he really listen to him? If he doesn't earn his respect as a tactician, this will be terrible.
                        Because he looks like a nerdy, good guy? Gotta love stereotypes lol
                        Kawhi Leonard is a Toronto Raptor

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          A.I wrote: View Post
                          Because he looks like a nerdy, good guy? Gotta love stereotypes lol
                          Also isn't this a personnel issue as well?

                          If your top players refuse to be coached, maybe it's a sign you're trying to win with the wrong players.

                          Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Everything Nick Nurse

                            white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Also isn't this a personnel issue as well?

                            If your top players refuse to be coached, maybe it's a sign you're trying to win with the wrong players.

                            Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                            Of course.

                            Iíve had that thought as well, about how the new coach would handle Lowry. He has clashed with his coaches before, just matured with Casey. Hopefully stays mature.

                            Either way Iím not too worried. Lowry has matured a lot over the years, and turned into a good floor general and he is also familiar with Nurse.
                            Last edited by A.I; Tue Jun 12th, 2018, 03:59 PM.
                            Kawhi Leonard is a Toronto Raptor

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              livan33 wrote: View Post
                              I don’t understand anyone acting like they already know what kind of coach Nurse is going to be just because he was already on the staff. Maybe he’ll be great, maybe he’ll be terrible….I have no idea. I’ve been an assistant coach at the university level. The head coach was a very close friend of mine and valued my input greatly. But the final decisions were his to make.

                              I disagreed with his general defensive philosophy and expressed this to him when we were preparing for our first season together. He listened to my viewpoints, but decided that he preferred his original vision. Once he made that decision it was my job to help teach and enforce his philosophy as well as I could. If I couldn’t get over the fact that he wanted to play defence differently than I did, I could have left the team. But as long as I was on the staff, it wasn’t productive for me to be trying to undermine him to get my way. It was only productive for me to be delivering the same message that he wanted to deliver.

                              If he had been fired and I had become the head coach I would have immediately started teaching defence differently than he was, but as long as he was the head coach it was in the best interest of the team for me to support him. My point is that just because Nurse has been on the staff for a while, it doesn’t mean we have any idea what he believes as a coach or how good a coach he is going to be.

                              Edit: And this is coming from someone that was hoping the Raps would hire Messina.
                              Nice post. But, was your friend's defensive philosophy successful. If so, no reason to question him. Or did it get exposed in exactly the same way, year after year? At some point, the onus would be on you to speak up with a strong voice if you've got a better approach that can help the team.... which Nurse clearly did have for the Raps offense. Especially if you aspire to be a head coach and a leader.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                A.I wrote: View Post
                                Of course.

                                Iíve had that thought as well, about how the new coach would handle Lowry. He has clashed with his coaches before, just matured with Casey. Hopefully stays mature.

                                Either way Iím not too worried. Lowry has matured a lot over the years, and turned into a good floor general and he is also familiar with Nurse.
                                Lowry respecting Nurse probably swayed the decision away from the other choices, like Messina and the Lithuanian guy. Casey was and is a crappy coach, weird rotations, slow adjustments, no in-game strategy. Anybody will be an improvement. Predict a fire sale on Griffin, Drummond and a chucking guard taking over, blowing leads with a crappy scrambling disorganized defence leading to wide open threes in Detroit. Casey good riddance

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X