Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Didn’t look like Nurse was experimenting though. Just dumb
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

    Comment


    • MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      Didn’t look like Nurse was experimenting though. Just dumb
      It's so hard to say. As many have argued, perhaps Nurse is having players try to do stuff outside their comfort zone, and not default to the obvious correct things to do, so that come the playoffs when teams do everything they can to take away those obvious correct things the Raptors would ideally want to do, the players are ready to counter that, thereby opening up those correct things again. Or, maybe Nurse is just bad. It's too early to tell at this point, because we've also seen some really good stuff from Nurse this season already.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

      Comment


      • He looked flustered whenever they showed him last night. If he was experimenting, wouldn't he be somewhat content with the expected struggles?

        Whenever I want to rag on Nurse, I have to stop and remind myself that we are missing Kyle and JV. This team has 7-8 good, playable players that should be getting minutes (starters, JV, OG and Norm, now that he has been looking pretty good). Wright should be better, but the guy doesn't seem to have the drive or mental fortitude to consistently bring it... very disappointing. Fred just looks terrible out there but its hard to be an unathletic 5 10 guard in the league. The results recently have been frustrating, but not unexpected when we have only 5-6 playable players.

        If possible, I hope that we can somehow improve the backup PG position before the deadline.

        Comment


        • The whole team has been clanking wide open 3 point shots. Nurse can't put the ball in the hole.

          Danny Green just went 0/6 from three, was the primary defender on DeMar's first career triple double, and was a team worst -26, but I haven't seen his name mentioned once in the hot takes.

          Also, Toronto Raptors now 0-2 in The 2018 Offseason Revenge Tour, with losses to Casey and DeMar. If Vince Carter comes in here and drops 30 for the W next week I will just laugh.

          And in the "good teams don't lose these games" storyline, GS just blew an 18 point halftime lead at home to the conference rivals Houston Rockets on national TV - the same Houston Rockets who still don't have Chris Paul and actually let Austin Rivers play basketball. James Harden has been insane.
          Last edited by S.R.; Fri Jan 4th, 2019, 09:32 AM.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

          Comment


          • S.R. wrote: View Post
            The whole team has been clanking wide open 3 point shots. Nurse can't put the ball in the hole.

            Danny Green just went 0/6 from three, was the primary defender on DeMar's first career triple double, and was a team worst -26, but I haven't seen his name mentioned once in the hot takes.

            Also, Toronto Raptors now 0-2 in The 2018 Offseason Revenge Tour, with losses to Casey and DeMar. If Vince Carter comes in here and drops 30 for the W next week I will just laugh.

            And in the "good teams don't lose these games" storyline, GS just blew an 18 point halftime lead at home to the conference rivals Houston Rockets on national TV - the same Houston Rockets who still don't have Chris Paul and actually let Austin Rivers play basketball. James Harden has been insane.
            Nurse can't shoot the ball, but he can call plays to get our shooters into a rhythm. For whatever reason, he's letting FVV and Wright dribble 15 seconds off the clock and dump it off like a hot potato. Or let Kawhi get triple teamed.

            I don't care how "wide open" a guy looks on TV. Up here in the cheap seats, everything looks easy, but when you've got hyper athletic dudes with 7-foot wingspans flying in your face, it feels more like a split second to get your feet set and up into your motion. Our shooters don't look shot ready, IMO. And some guys who should never even take a single dribble are shooting off-the-dribble. Lowry gets guys into their spots with easy shots, but FVV is clearly creating the exact opposite effect - he's putting guys in uncomfortable positions and throwing everybody out of rhythm.

            And I would take Austin Rivers as our backup PG over FVV - every day, all-day and twice on Saturdays and 20 times on Sunday. FVV went un-drafted for a reason.

            Comment


            • golden wrote: View Post
              And I would take Austin Rivers as our backup PG over FVV - every day, all-day and twice on Saturdays and 20 times on Sunday. FVV went un-drafted for a reason.
              I liked this post but wanted to make it clear that I strongly disagree with this last statement.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

              Comment


              • Still all the focus on offence and none on the defence. As much as the O struggled, the defence was much worse. Constantly lost guys in transition and off simple p'n'r. Spurs way above their averages in transition and paint scoring = too many easy points = bad defence. Missing Lowry and JV screens on offence is one thing, not talking/moving on defence no matter who's on the floor is another.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                Comment


                • S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Still all the focus on offence and none on the defence. As much as the O struggled, the defence was much worse. Constantly lost guys in transition and off simple p'n'r. Spurs way above their averages in transition and paint scoring = too many easy points = bad defence. Missing Lowry and JV screens on offence is one thing, not talking/moving on defence no matter who's on the floor is another.
                  I think Lowry is a big defensive communicator, so they miss him there. And the transition points are directly related to terrible offence (not entirely explained by, but certainly related). Still, yes, the defence has been spotty for a while now. Though Monroe playing so much doesn't help with that.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

                  Comment


                  • S.R. wrote: View Post
                    Still all the focus on offence and none on the defence. As much as the O struggled, the defence was much worse. Constantly lost guys in transition and off simple p'n'r. Spurs way above their averages in transition and paint scoring = too many easy points = bad defence. Missing Lowry and JV screens on offence is one thing, not talking/moving on defence no matter who's on the floor is another.
                    Agree completely. There is no excuse for the Raptors giving up over 120 points in this game, none of the players who are out are all that crucial to their defense.

                    A team with as much wing depth as the Raptors have and some really useful defensive players like Leonard, Green, Siakam and Anunoby (and even Ibaka at the center position) should not be just "above average" in defense like they are. This team should be a top 5 defensive team and I have no idea why they aren't showing it.

                    I don't mean to use the "C" word, but this is far better defensive personnel than Casey ever had and he managed to have the Raptors higher up in the league for defensive efficiency. Granted, series against the Cavs proved that defense might have been a bit of paper tiger, but that's still no excuse for why they aren't better.
                    That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

                    Comment


                    • S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Still all the focus on offence and none on the defence. As much as the O struggled, the defence was much worse. Constantly lost guys in transition and off simple p'n'r. Spurs way above their averages in transition and paint scoring = too many easy points = bad defence. Missing Lowry and JV screens on offence is one thing, not talking/moving on defence no matter who's on the floor is another.
                      They are related. Bad offense and lack of offensive rebounding leads to more transition scoring with the defense not set and scrambling. Your whole post screams... miss ya, JV.

                      Comment


                      • Other Scott wrote: View Post
                        Agree completely. There is no excuse for the Raptors giving up over 120 points in this game, none of the players who are out are all that crucial to their defense.

                        A team with as much wing depth as the Raptors have and some really useful defensive players like Leonard, Green, Siakam and Anunoby (and even Ibaka at the center position) should not be just "above average" in defense like they are. This team should be a top 5 defensive team and I have no idea why they aren't showing it.

                        I don't mean to use the "C" word, but this is far better defensive personnel than Casey ever had and he managed to have the Raptors higher up in the league for defensive efficiency. Granted, series against the Cavs proved that defense might have been a bit of paper tiger, but that's still no excuse for why they aren't better.
                        All on Nurse... he's not prepping these guys, maybe hes not a good motivational coach, obviously something is amiss right now...

                        Comment


                        • Hey is this I can find the angry mob? Havent seen the hashtag fire thread QUITE yet..
                          It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                          Comment


                          • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Hey is this I can find the angry mob? Havent seen the hashtag fire thread QUITE yet..
                            I suggested it as a reminder, but I was fired down rather quickly

                            Comment


                            • DanH wrote: View Post
                              This is a pretty hot take right here. Nurse has this team on pace for 57 wins while missing one of Kawhi/Lowry for like half of their games (seriously, 19 of 40).

                              Yes, Nurse is doing a whole bunch of dumb crap. He basically told us he'd be doing that at the start of the season though. Hard to judge whether it's going to be an issue until the late season. For now, I am definitely concerned, but we've got a half season of dumb crap from Nurse (with some promising stuff thrown in) - that doesn't compare to Casey's half-decade run of consistently bad decisions.
                              He also has a top 5 player in the league.

                              I'm going to ignore last year where we won 59 games because Lowry was abnormally healthy. The year before we won 51 games with Lowry missing 22 of them.

                              Replace Kawhi and Danny Green with DeMar and Carroll and how many games does that team win? Probably 60-65. I'm done making excuses for Nurse, he is not doing a good job. We can chalk it up to experimentation, but the reality is we look clueless out there and really don't seem to have much of a structured offense outside of calling isolations for Kawhi or letting FVV pound the air out of the ball worse than CoJo and Vasquez used to under Casey.

                              So far from what I've seen we have no upgraded our coaching, and I'd actually argue it's gotten worse. I'm not saying he should be fired or anything, but if this keeps up for the season he shouldn't be back next year.

                              Comment


                              • ???


                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X