Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • golden wrote: View Post

    That's why Lin, Powell and McCaw aren't even in my basic rotation. For exactly what you said, I have OG always playing with a minimum of: FVV/Lowry/Siakam or FVV/Green/Kawhi/Gasol. That's enough playmaking and shotmaking on the floor to keep OG from having to do too much.

    OG+Ibaka is kind of a weak combination, so you could have Gasol come back for the end of the 1st quarter (9-12min) and have Ibaka take Gasol's (6-9min) stint in the second quarter, like this.



    Of course, you can also have Pascal & Kawhi playing 40+ minutes a game as an even better way to cut down OG's minutes.
    Good work on the table, I feel it's not too far from what may actually look like, with the exception of maybe a different distribution on the Ibaka/Gasol minutes, and a 9th man in to account for Siakam at the 5 (trickle down effect Keon mentioned) and for foul trouble etc... My personal choice for the 9th man would be Miller or Norm, as I think they have the best 2-way potential out of the players fighting for that spot, though realistically it won't be Miller, and will probably end up being Lin, Norm or McCaw
    ==Glad to have doubted the doubters==

    Comment


    • golden wrote: View Post

      Yeah, it's just a baseline substitution pattern, but sh*t will happen and Nurse is gonna Nurse. The goal was to eliminate the need for Lin/Powell/McCaw, except for: foul trouble, specific matchups, injury or if Lowry/Kawhi/Green need a rest. The main idea is to play our highest positive impact players (and OG, out of necessity) the most minutes. Weird concept, I know.
      That's how it should be. We shouldn't be making space for Lin/Powell or McCaw just because. They should not be playing. Injury and foul trouble or a blow out should be the only time they touch the floor. I know it wont happen but one can hope
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

      Comment


      • Im just putting it out into the ether. Patrick McCaw is going to have at least 1 big moment this playoffs. I can feel it in my bones. The Crow will leave his mark. And we will all CAW CAW in celebration. So its been written so its been told.
        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

        Comment


        • why is gasol starting all the time?

          Comment


          • spicy_d wrote: View Post
            why is gasol starting all the time?
            Probably has something to do with him being the Raptors' starting C.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

            Comment


            • DanH wrote: View Post

              Probably has something to do with him being the Raptors' starting C.
              what has he done to earn it ?

              Comment


              • spicy_d wrote: View Post

                what has he done to earn it ?
                Ah, I see.

                Not much point in continuing this conversation, I have very little regard for the concept of players needing to earn their spots. A coach's job is to put players in a position to succeed. Gasol's talents would be wasted on the bench, and the starters will have more success with him than without, while the same is not true of Ibaka, who should be able to function very well as the bench C if he can get his head into the role. It's as simple as that.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

                Comment


                • DanH wrote: View Post

                  Ah, I see.

                  Not much point in continuing this conversation, I have very little regard for the concept of players needing to earn their spots. A coach's job is to put players in a position to succeed. Gasol's talents would be wasted on the bench, and the starters will have more success with him than without, while the same is not true of Ibaka, who should be able to function very well as the bench C if he can get his head into the role. It's as simple as that.
                  gasol could do the same (ie get his head into being a bench player ) ...if he is such a good passer who stretches the floor ...then he could help FVV to improve our shitty bench .

                  serge has been amazing this year and gasol has been pretty underwhelming to say the least

                  anyway my 2 cents...agree to disagrde

                  Comment


                  • Not sure where to post this question, but how does the Raptors defense this season compare with last season? Are we better, worse, pretty much the same? Any big changes in key def stats this season?

                    Comment


                    • LJ2 wrote: View Post
                      Not sure where to post this question, but how does the Raptors defense this season compare with last season? Are we better, worse, pretty much the same? Any big changes in key def stats this season?
                      I believe it inexplicably worse

                      Comment


                      • spicy_d wrote: View Post

                        gasol could do the same (ie get his head into being a bench player ) ...if he is such a good passer who stretches the floor ...then he could help FVV to improve our shitty bench .

                        serge has been amazing this year and gasol has been pretty underwhelming to say the least

                        anyway my 2 cents...agree to disagrde
                        Serge hasn't been that amazing, though. He's recovered from a down year last year, which is great to see. But the Raptors' starting unit is also really good and making almost anyone who plays with them look pretty good, too. The JV lineups with the starters were considerably better than the Serge lineups, but JV got traded and Serge is still here.

                        Gasol's season to date this year has been better than Serge's - just take a look at their numbers. Even in TO, Gasol's numbers are starting to recover from an iffy start.

                        I'm not sure Serge is any better as a mobile/stretch big, either. Guy is shooting 27% from deep now on the year while Gasol's at 39% in T.O. on slightly fewer attempts. I think Gasol's just as mobile as Serge out in space defensively, too.

                        Gasol's still got the most potential as the starting C and Siakam may well emerge as the Death Lineup small ball 5 in the playoffs (I hope this is one of the tricks Nurse is keeping up his sleeve, we've seen it just a bit).

                        Gasol's also 12 years younger than Serge, which definitely helps.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                        Comment


                        • LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          Not sure where to post this question, but how does the Raptors defense this season compare with last season? Are we better, worse, pretty much the same? Any big changes in key def stats this season?
                          I think this year's defensive ceiling is much higher. When this team cranks up the defensive intensity, they're incredible. They just aren't bringing it as consistently as last year. One calling card of Casey teams was the consistent effort during the regular season.

                          This team's making us all a bit worried, the glass-half-full view is this is finally an experienced team with a playoff switch and they're saving it (Nurse claims he's saving lots, too). Sure hope this is true. The glass-half-empty view is the team is inconsistent and the chemistry still isn't there.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                          Comment


                          • spicy_d wrote: View Post

                            what has he done to earn it ?
                            Um.. how about 11 years, 3x all star, 2x all nba, dpoy all as a starting center on a really good team?

                            the guy earned it before he got here. He did not start existing the minute he entered the Raptors universe
                            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                            Comment


                            • S.R. wrote: View Post

                              I think this year's defensive ceiling is much higher. When this team cranks up the defensive intensity, they're incredible. They just aren't bringing it as consistently as last year. One calling card of Casey teams was the consistent effort during the regular season.

                              This team's making us all a bit worried, the glass-half-full view is this is finally an experienced team with a playoff switch and they're saving it (Nurse claims he's saving lots, too). Sure hope this is true. The glass-half-empty view is the team is inconsistent and the chemistry still isn't there.
                              Are you actually saying Casey's team (in particular Kyle and DeMar) brought consistent defensive intensity?

                              Comment


                              • G__Deane wrote: View Post

                                Are you actually saying Casey's team (in particular Kyle and DeMar) brought consistent defensive intensity?
                                More like Demar's shortcoming on defesive end were hidden during regular season but in playoffs they got exposed.
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X