Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
    I’ve sometimes wondered whether Masai has an agenda and is like, Nick, I need you to play this guy, I believe in this guy.

Or...

perhaps Nick is super adamant about running a system with another ball-handler (obviously he is) and in spite of McCaw’s glaring weakness, is trying to force Masai’s hand to go out and get him a better one so his system can be at full strength.

Cause the weird part is it just keeps not working and not working and not working, so you start to really wonder what’s going on underneath the surface.

(all that said, by and large, we’re still winning ballgames)
    Nurse and the Raptors are playing with house money. We won a chip, and that at least gives me 5 years of do whatever you want. But the McCaw problem is pretty frustrating. Some really easy solutions, and I'm hoping our front office is looking at those.

But yeah, if he stays on the roster, and still gets 15-20mpg in the playoffs.. well it is what it is I guess. We're still always going to be champs.

Comment

• The problem is McCaw as a ball handler/offensive initiator is not a better option than Siakam or Powell or Davis. There's just no evidence to support the idea that McCaw actually has the skills for the role he's been typecast for - a defensive minded backup point guard. He isn't a great passer. He doesn't reduce turnovers. He doesn't run the offence very well or get guys easy looks. He doesn't defend well.

Davis can literally do the things McCaw supposedly does well just about as well as McCaw does, and some other things much better. But somehow McCaw has already become the go-to 3rd point guard and I keep hearing Davis is "not really a point guard."

This is a league where Lebron, Giannis, Harden, and Kawhi can run your offence either full-time or for significant stretches of games. It's a league where the John Stockton-type point guard has basically ceased to exist and most point guards would have been called combo or scoring guards 10+ years ago, guys like Curry and Westbrook and Kyrie etc.

How, with this roster and in this league, can we possibly need 25 mpg from Pat McCaw?

I agree that seems to be the coaching staff's opinion, just don't agree with it from where I'm sitting. Want to develop guys in this free ride season? Get Siakam running more (much more) offence. Get Davis running more offence. These guys are the future, why is Pat McCaw playing entire 4th quarters?
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Nurse and the Raptors are playing with house money. We won a chip, and that at least gives me 5 years of do whatever you want. But the McCaw problem is pretty frustrating. Some really easy solutions, and I'm hoping our front office is looking at those.

But yeah, if he stays on the roster, and still gets 15-20mpg in the playoffs.. well it is what it is I guess. We're still always going to be champs.
        The ‘house money’ theory really doesn’t hold water for me.

Whether the chips are stacked against us or not, we should 100% be doing everything we possibly can to defend our title. Other than Giannis, we can beat anyone in this league on the right day. And it wouldn’t take too much for things to break a certain way where either Giannis goes down, or we figure something out and find a way to get past them.

No way should we be punting a season just cause we might have a better chance in a few years time.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

The ‘house money’ theory really doesn’t hold water for me.

Whether the chips are stacked against us or not, we should 100% be doing everything we possibly can to defend our title. Other than Giannis, we can beat anyone in this league on the right day. And it wouldn’t take too much for things to break a certain way where either Giannis goes down, or we figure something out and find a way to get past them.

No way should we be punting a season just cause we might have a better chance in a few years time.
          100%. You never know what could happen next year, let alone 3-4 years down the road. And it's not like Raps have to mortgage the future.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            The problem is McCaw as a ball handler/offensive initiator is not a better option than Siakam or Powell or Davis. There's just no evidence to support the idea that McCaw actually has the skills for the role he's been typecast for - a defensive minded backup point guard. He isn't a great passer. He doesn't reduce turnovers. He doesn't run the offence very well or get guys easy looks. He doesn't defend well.

Davis can literally do the things McCaw supposedly does well just about as well as McCaw does, and some other things much better. But somehow McCaw has already become the go-to 3rd point guard and I keep hearing Davis is "not really a point guard."

This is a league where Lebron, Giannis, Harden, and Kawhi can run your offence either full-time or for significant stretches of games. It's a league where the John Stockton-type point guard has basically ceased to exist and most point guards would have been called combo or scoring guards 10+ years ago, guys like Curry and Westbrook and Kyrie etc.

How, with this roster and in this league, can we possibly need 25 mpg from Pat McCaw?

I agree that seems to be the coaching staff's opinion, just don't agree with it from where I'm sitting. Want to develop guys in this free ride season? Get Siakam running more (much more) offence. Get Davis running more offence. These guys are the future, why is Pat McCaw playing entire 4th quarters?
            Oh for sure. It's a positional dogma on a positionless league. Reminiscent of the old Casey double and triple PG lineups with lots of Corey Joseph, Delon and Zo Brown, and an often overly heavy ride-or-die on Lowry.

It's a double head-scratcher because (a) the grounds for the typecasting of McCaw as ballhandler/playmaker is dubious at best (he was a PG in college but never in the NBA plus all the reasons you pointed out) AND (b) the necessity to run 2 or 3 "ballhandlers" all the time in today's league is also dubious, especially when you have guys that can run the offence from the frontcourt (your point forwards), like Gasol & Siakam (plus an elite classic PG in Lowry).

A traditional PG has 2 primary jobs:
            1. Bring the ball across the timeline (including in press and in transition)
            2. Call plays/direct traffic

Norm & Davis can do #1. Gasol can do #2. Lowry, FVV and likely Siakam can do both. The skill overlap makes it so that you don't need to overload Lowry/Fred/McCaw with minutes. This roster would be balanced with most coaches, but in Nurse's hands it's artificially in need of another PG, otherwise McCaw/Lowry/Fred will continue to rack up tons of minutes.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              Yeah, well the Hawks full court press just proved without a shadow of a doubt that McCaw isn’t a “ball handler” either.

At this point, I’d rather bring in Skip to My Lou, or The Professor as ball handlers. At least it would be entertaining.
              Anybody got the phone number for the globetrotter midget?

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• We have the best coach in basketball. Nurse is better than Pop and Stevens. Yeah, I said it.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Congrats Nick!

Comment

• Best head coach WP% in NBA history right now.

Those pundits who challenged the fact that Ujiri fired Coach of the Year didn't realize he needed to promote the Best Coach of All Time.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Best head coach WP% in NBA history right now.

Those pundits who challenged the fact that Ujiri fired Coach of the Year didn't realize he needed to promote the Best Coach of All Time.
                      And posters. Where you at... Chr1s1anL ?

Comment

• I said it before and I' m going to say it again. Dwane Casey is our Doug Collins. Nick Nurse is Phil Jackson.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                          I said it before and I' m going to say it again. Dwane Casey is our Doug Collins. Nick Nurse is Phil Jackson.
                          Is Kawhi (MJ) coming back?

Comment

Best head coach WP% in NBA history right now.

I feel that a 5-man lineup of FVV-TD-Thomas-Brisset-Boucher (all undrafted players) coached by Nurse would have at least a .350 winning% right now, which is better than 8 full NBA teams in the league at the moment.

Comment

• God I love Nick Nurse

https://mobile.twitter.com/JLew1050/...804608/photo/1

Comment

• We got three more regular season games against the Bucks? Time to get the mad scientist hat back on
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X