Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beagle wrote: View Post
    One thing that I think bears repeating is that there is no logical reason to conclude the team needs a major makeover.
    I'm curious. What would you consider a logical reason to conclude the team needs a major makeover?

Losing 10 in a row to the Cavs isn't enough data? Being the only playoff team to not win a game against them? Getting swept by them and then seeing them get swept by the Warriors? Getting swept 3/4 years, twice by lower seeds?

Casey was not a good coach but he's hardly the sole factor in our playoff futility. Minor tweaks aren't going to solve much. A major makeover is absolutely needed. But whether it is possible is another thing entirely.

That all said... I like Nurse and if we can't get anything done rosterwise at least we are rewarding someone deserving.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      Nice post. But, was your friend's defensive philosophy successful. If so, no reason to question him. Or did it get exposed in exactly the same way, year after year? At some point, the onus would be on you to speak up with a strong voice if you've got a better approach that can help the team.... which Nurse clearly did have for the Raps offense. Especially if you aspire to be a head coach and a leader.
      One can speak up, but it's the Head Coach who always has the final say.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
        I'm curious. What would you consider a logical reason to conclude the team needs a major makeover?

Losing 10 in a row to the Cavs isn't enough data? Being the only playoff team to not win a game against them? Getting swept by them and then seeing them get swept by the Warriors? Getting swept 3/4 years, twice by lower seeds?

Casey was not a good coach but he's hardly the sole factor in our playoff futility. Minor tweaks aren't going to solve much. A major makeover is absolutely needed. But whether it is possible is another thing entirely.

That all said... I like Nurse and if we can't get anything done rosterwise at least we are rewarding someone deserving.
        I mean its not sexy, but leaning on the young guys more and expecting them to step up is the best way to immediately improve tbh. In a long term approach I think you can make a good case for trading some combination of Lowry/DeRozan/JV/Ibaka, obviously it depends how much value you can get for them though.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          More threes from guys who shouldn't be shooting coming right up
          JV is gonna take way more 3s

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post

Shot 40% in the season and Playoffs, go ahead JV.

Comment

JV is gonna become Marc Gasol
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Not necessarily a bad thing if he can keep his % up. I don't think we'll be seeing him taking like 5 threes a game. He averaged 1 attempt per game last year. He can take more than that if he is still shooting well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Deems wrote: View Post
                  I hope he is a genius tactician because he doesn't seem like the type of guy who can control the locker room. No offence to him but if he tells Lowry to sit his ass down, would he really listen to him? If he doesn't earn his respect as a tactician, this will be terrible.
                  We dont really know how he manages a locker room. Why would Lowry start giving him hassle now after buying into the new system and becoming more efficient PG?! Lowry got 2 more years to go and probably will be in another's team uniform before his contract is done.

Comment

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post

If this hire gets us Sterner back, it's an automatic win.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Nurse's assistant rumours from RealGM.

"More and more insisting rumors that they want Sergio Scariolo or Andrea Trincheri main to be assistants to the Toronto Raptors under Nurse. The announcement should be made in the coming weeks."

Comment

Much of what I believe has already been stated, but I'll add my two cents.

Nick Nurse is a good basketball coach - all evidence supports this: coaching competitively since 23, coaching teams at multiple levels, coaching in different leagues, etc. Whether or not he is the right coach is yet to be seen, but I'm thrilled he has this opportunity. It is important to reiterate that an assistant coaching position is very different from a head coaching position (as has been covered nicely in previous posts). We cannot presume to know anything definitive about his systems or philosophies as he didn't have the opportunity to implement them with the full weight of office. Continuity is a good thing in sports - the Raptors have climbed the rankings year after year with continuity in mind. That said, the only continuity I am sure of is one of familiarity - Nurse has already proven his value to the Raptors. I don't believe continuity will apply to how the team functions. Masai knew the flaws of our old system, hence the firing of Casey. It only makes sense that Nurse pitched new ideas during his interviews which earned him his opportunity.

Comment

I love it how everyone seems 2 b on board with this hire..well not this guy,same s@#t, they should of just kept Casey..WTF..what a load Big Garbage..Me thinking maybe it's time someone makes a thread of Firing Masai Ujiri for me his out stayed his tenure..
                            "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                            My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                              Nurse's assistant rumours from RealGM.

"More and more insisting rumors that they want Sergio Scariolo or Andrea Trincheri main to be assistants to the Toronto Raptors under Nurse. The announcement should be made in the coming weeks."
                              So my boy Rex is gone?
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                                You know what I'm really hoping for? I'm hoping that there was a bit of discord amongst the coaching staff, where like maybe Casey was super jealous of Nurse, so any time Nurse suggested a substitution, or some innovative inbounds play, Casey would just say "Here's a better idea: Let's do what the head coach wants to do. Who's that again? Oh that's right, that's me not you. Okay, ISO time! Give it to Demar and dribble for 23 seconds!"

Because if that's not what happened every single time, then why did we hire this guy.
                                I read your wish ( hope ) may have come true ..

Multiple NBA sources will tell you the one-time mentor and his long-time assistant have not been on affable terms in the midst of Toronto’s coaching-staff shakeup. Maybe nobody’s been in a good mood in Raptorland since the season came to its crushing end.

“No love lost between ’em,” said one basketball lifer who would know, speaking of Casey and Nurse

Comment

Working...
                                X