Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    I'm honestly quite surprised. I truly thought Casey being fired signaled that Ujiri was looking for a big name with lots of experience to take over - I did not think he would fire Casey to turn the reins over to a first-time head coach from within the organization.

Good for Nurse, though. I suspect he'll do a good job.
    Other than Bud, what other experienced coaches were out there?

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
      Are they historically bad?
      2018: 1-4 on the road
      2017: 1-4 on the road
      2016: 2-7 on the road
      2015: 0-2
      2014: 1-2

That's 5-19 with this iteration of the Raptors, which looks bad, but winning on the road in the playoffs is difficult. I don't think that is anywhere close to a historically bad mark. The 2008 Celtics won the championship and still only went 3-9 on the road.
      Net rating is probably a better stat to look at

Raptors from 2014-2018: http://bkref.com/tiny/fIP3O (2nd last among teams with 10+ games played)

Raptors as a franchise: http://bkref.com/tiny/LKy2i (2nd last alltime)

Bad

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
        But if you're the King and you can take any team to the finals... why would you not want to play with your friends?
        The King just proved he can't beat the Warriors all by himself (not even close), so how is he gonna get to the Finals?

Philly won 52 games last year, you add Lebron and that's easily a 60+ win team every year, without even accounting for any development of Simmons and Embiid.

Comment

• Anybody know where one can watch the presser at 2:30?

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
            Anybody know where one can watch the presser at 2:30?
            https://www.nba.com/raptors/live

Comment

• Some nice quotes I hadn't yet seen from one of his mentors

Miller said in his 50 years in the game he hasn’t seen many basketball minds like Nurse’s.

"He likes aggressive offence. That’s kind of the way he played. He never saw an open three he didn’t like. Of course he could make them," said the coach through a gravelly voice. "You have very few players who not only know where to go on the floor in a play, know the options in a play, but they understand why, they understand the stress it puts on the defence. Nick was way ahead of the game.

"There’s not very many people who can try to figure out ways to improve situations based on who the players are. That’s what a great point guard does, and Nick could mentally — and also physically because he made very few errors, despite the fact that he had some limitations athletically, he had a huge assist to turnover ratio, and he just understood."

Miller noted that one of Northern Iowa’s highlights was beating an NCAA No. 3 seed when Nurse was on his staff.

Miller was sad to see Nurse go when he left to be a player/coach with the Derby Storm of the British Basketball League, but "Nick is one of the guys you want to see move on."

Miller is now a volunteer assistant with his son Ben’s Div. 2 program at University North Carolina Pembroke. He and Nurse have kept in touch in the almost 30 years since he left Northern Iowa. They talk regularly, and often the subject of conversation is the evolving NBA game. Miller laughed when he said Nurse is always way ahead of him.

"He knows the NBA, he knows the philosophy, he knows the changes in the game, the game is totally different now, your players all have to be versatile players, not only offensively but also defensively, they have to be able to guard multiple positions," Miller said. "He’s way ahead of that curve. When we talk, he’s always out there somewhere I haven’t even thought about in basketball."
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Not sure why the actual Raptors site is the last place I think to go to, ha.

(God Bless the RR)

Comment

• Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Haha - just watched the presser with Nurse; very diplomatic and very professional. In my mind, he said everything right but was thinking, "Thank fuck it is me that gets to make the decisions from now on."

Comment

• Jonas Valanciunas, Most Improved Player, 2019.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                        I'm honestly quite surprised. I truly thought Casey being fired signaled that Ujiri was looking for a big name with lots of experience to take over - I did not think he would fire Casey to turn the reins over to a first-time head coach from within the organization.

Good for Nurse, though. I suspect he'll do a good job.
                        This was Masai's inner internet basement dweller finally boiling over and getting fed up with Casey's playoff coaching flaws. He was clearly caught off guard, because I don't think in his wildest nightmares did he envision getting slaughtered and humiliated by Lebronto on the big stage. It was partially an emotional reaction by MU.

Comment

• I'm actually alot more comfortable with this signing now then before. If this is the roster will likely keep for another year then have a new guy like Messina an outsider try to implement his own strategies, could take a while to iron out and may have not even worked at all.

At least with Nurse the ironing part and knowing the players should be a much smoother transition and less friction will develop until the playoffs . Also there will be less friction between Masai and Nurse then Masai and Casey as they will most likely be more on the same page. In previous seasons Casey used to fall in love with players who were just disastrous in both defence & offence but for some reason Casey gave them more minutes!! Salmon, Vasquez and Scola to name a few. When your GM gets rid of the players you liked using, its an indirect message that you were wrong to have over-used them in the first place.

Comment

• Or maybe they actually thought Nurse was the best coaching candidate. When you're hiring someone, all these ancillary considerations matter a whole lot less than just flat out getting the best person in place.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                              I'm actually alot more comfortable with this signing now then before. If this is the roster will likely keep for another year then have a new guy like Messina an outsider try to implement his own strategies, could take a while to iron out and may have not even worked at all.

At least with Nurse the ironing part and knowing the players should be a much smoother transition and less friction will develop until the playoffs . Also there will be less friction between Masai and Nurse then Masai and Casey as they will most likely be more on the same page. In previous seasons Casey used to fall in love with players who were just disastrous in both defence & offence but for some reason Casey gave them more minutes!! Salmon, Vasquez and Scola to name a few. When your GM gets rid of the players you liked using, its an indirect message that you were wrong to have over-used them in the first place.
                              Don't forget Lou Will.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• The biggest statement I took from the presser was that he wanted to showcase someone's talents (JV) and hide their weaknesses. That was something I never got from Casey. He would have a system and stick to it, no matter how bad someone took to it. Especially when they were getting beat. It will be nice to see them exploit an advantage rather than match a teams playing style. (Small ball lineups)

Comment

Working...
                                X