No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Nurse plans to put the ball in Lowry’s hands more. JV will most likely get more shots, I wonder where Derozan will fit in all of this.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
      So Nurse plans to put the ball in Lowry’s hands more. JV will most likely get more shots, I wonder where Derozan will fit in all of this.
      In LA ...

If Nurses overall scheme looks like Houston’s scheme...it’s hard to see DD staying....

And as I have droned on about since game 2 of the Cleveland meltdown..lots of shared culpability to go around.

Casey is gone.

Fair or not such is the fate of coaches who fall short of expectations held by management. To be sure it was an uncharacteristic emotional response from Ujiri..but predictable.

The players are the other half of the equation. For me I thought Lowry did his part. DD didn’t. With the “new” head coaches offensive direction it’s hard to see why you stick with DD as his considerable strengths don’t fit the direction the particular coaching hire would indicate. Not that D D is a lousy player. Hardly. But he doesn’t fit now. Just like a baseball team who moves the outfield fences out 30 feet would be looking for pitchers instead of hitters so does it mirror where the Raps are going by hiring Nurse who is likely looking to emulate the Houston approach he was so successful with.

Maybe I’m wrong..but think that the GM is actively gauging the value of one of his best assets.....

That bed shitting doesn’t ALL fall on Casey.
      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Jun 18, 2018, 10:35 AM.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
        In LA ...

If Nurses overall scheme looks like Houston’s scheme...it’s hard to see DD staying....

And as I have droned on about since game 2 of the Cleveland meltdown..lots of shared culpability to go around.

Casey is gone.

Fair or not such is the fate of coaches who fall short of expectations held by management. To be sure it was an uncharacteristic emotional response from Ujiri..but predictable.

The players are the other half of the equation. For me I thought Lowry did his part. DD didn’t. With the “new” head coaches offensive direction it’s hard to see why you stick with DD as his considerable strengths don’t fit the direction the particular coaching hire would indicate. Not that D D is a lousy player. Hardly. But he doesn’t fit now. Just like a baseball team who moves the outfield fences out 30 feet would be looking for pitchers instead of hitters so does it mirror where the Raps are going by hiring Nurse who is likely looking to emulate the Houston approach he was so successful with.

Maybe I’m wrong..but think that the GM is actively gauging the value of one of his best assets.....

That bed shitting doesn’t ALL fall on Casey.
        Agree with some of this, but then again Ujiri fired Casey because he couldn't fire the players. While I'm sure he knows the flaws in his players, does it change his ability to trade them for the type of value he is looking for in return?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          Agree with some of this, but then again Ujiri fired Casey because he couldn't fire the players. While I'm sure he knows the flaws in his players, does it change his ability to trade them for the type of value he is looking for in return?
          Value is in the eye of the beholder....
          To illustrate.....
          If a trade materializes with the Lakers.

To the camp reflective of the poster “the claw” who look at DD through the lens that he is total crap....a second round pick, the contract of Luol Deng and a deep rotation player like Josh Hart is a good deal....its addition by subtraction at a cost. It’s not wrong just reflective of a view.

To the camp reflective of DD having value ....the trade would have to include Ingram and Kuzma along with the Deng contract...It says DD has value..just not here as the Raptors direction is now being steered by the offensive philosophy of Nick Nurse but he is of value to another team in their direction.
          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Jun 18, 2018, 11:50 AM.
          - TGO

Comment

So Nurse plans to put the ball in Lowry’s hands more. JV will most likely get more shots, I wonder where Derozan will fit in all of this.
            As a third option for now, behind Lowry and JV. This is the best use for a player like him, and probably the most significant role any competent coach would give him. Casey was fired for giving too many shots and minutes to DeRozan and Ibaka. Reducing these players' usage, and giving more to JV, Lowry and Wright immediately makes toronto a much better team.

I don't see much chance in DeRozan being traded, and his sentimental value makes him more valuable to Toronto that it does to any other team, who are unlikely to value him anywhere close to his salary, or see him as much more that 3rd or 4th option on offence.

DeRozan stays in Toronto as the 3rd option until Wright supplants him in the starting rotation, then becomes a 6th man, if all goes well.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
              As a third option for now, behind Lowry and JV. This is the best use for a player like him, and probably the most significant role any competent coach would give him. Casey was fired for giving too many shots and minutes to DeRozan and Ibaka. Reducing these players' usage, and giving more to JV, Lowry and Wright immediately makes toronto a much better team.

I don't see much chance in DeRozan being traded, and his sentimental value makes him more valuable to Toronto that it does to any other team, who are unlikely to value him anywhere close to his salary, or see him as much more that 3rd or 4th option on offence.

DeRozan stays in Toronto as the 3rd option until Wright supplants him in the starting rotation, then becomes a 6th man, if all goes well.
              A 28M$ a year third option....not seeing it. For that kind of investment he has to play a lot of minutes..if not for the Raps for someone else.

It’s like buying a house and not being able to use the kitchen, bathrooms and bedrooms...lots of money and your not using it or getting value for it.

If he stays he starts..plays 35 mins a game and has a high usage rate and it’s ground hog day. It’s best for all of he plies his talents elsewhere...for a good or not so good return.
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Jun 18, 2018, 12:18 PM.
              - TGO

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post

First bold: I agree that DD isn't a #1 option, he doesn't quite have the top tier talent you need. But, Demar as a third option is pretty tough to do. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He doesn't move well without it and can't really shoot it from deep even if he does. He's basically made his game into being the number 1 option without being a superstar.

Second: Sixth man gunner coming off the bench is probably his ideal role on a really good team. Not sure DD thinks so though...

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                  Value is in the eye of the beholder....
                  To illustrate.....
                  If a trade materializes with the Lakers.

To the camp reflective of the poster “the claw” who look at DD through the lens that he is total crap....a second round pick, the contract of Luol Deng and a deep rotation player like Josh Hart is a good deal....its addition by subtraction at a cost. It’s not wrong just reflective of a view.

To the camp reflective of DD having value ....the trade would have to include Ingram and Kuzma along with the Deng contract...It says DD has value..just not here as the Raptors direction is now being steered by the offensive philosophy of Nick Nurse but he is of value to another team in their direction.
                  The beholder is Ujiri in this case. Unless he is willing to change what he is willing to accept for DeRozan, he won't trade him. Thus Casey being fired if you believe what many have tweeted or commented about.

I think everyone is hoping for a big trade to get a star, but it's so difficult to do and would cost us a tonne of assets. The only thing that makes sense to me is that we take a step back, and focus on the future. Maybe they ride another season out to be in a better position to rebuild the season after this one...I dunno. This window, if it was ever open, is now firmly shut.

Comment

• For this team to take another leap it’s reliant on Siakam or OG taking a massive leap.

While I see the positives in JV, I don’t think he is the answer. I hope he does get a higher usage and they can find a role that exemplifies his talents. Or maybe Casey was already doing that...we’ll see.

It’s been said for years, Lowry and DeMar aren’t #1’s. They are 2a and 2b. We are capped out and without trading away or young assets and draft picks it’s pretty difficult to take the next step.

So it really does rely on internal growth and hoping at least one guy devolps in to a better than our current all-stars. I picked OG and Siakam because I think they have the base talent and it’s been reported that they are extremely hard workers. Perhaps leaps comes from someone else, who knows.

Comment

• On the other had we keep hearing about all these other trmeams getting better because their youth is developing ,... and the Raptors don’t get mentioned in those talks. Did we not have one of the youngest teams in the playoffs???

Yes we don’t have the prospects (or hype) of Phili or Boston, but come’on we have pretty interesting young pieces that were in year 1 of playing a big role.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        The beholder is Ujiri in this case. Unless he is willing to change what he is willing to accept for DeRozan, he won't trade him. Thus Casey being fired if you believe what many have tweeted or commented about.

I think everyone is hoping for a big trade to get a star, but it's so difficult to do and would cost us a tonne of assets. The only thing that makes sense to me is that we take a step back, and focus on the future. Maybe they ride another season out to be in a better position to rebuild the season after this one...I dunno. This window, if it was ever open, is now firmly shut.
                        DD won’t return a “star” player in a trade..what he can bring is players who fit with the next wave of current younger players already here..Lowry also has value.

Yep Ujiri has his work cut out for him over the next 3 weeks... he can make his trades at the draft or in early free agency if he sees value in them ....or simply sit tight....but for the first time in his 5 year tenure..the former Teflon GM is in the hot seat.

He took the predictable and warranted first choice and whacked the coach...now it’s time to look at the on court personnel...Say what you will about Casey..but he didn’t wilt like the players did..They share equal examination for their role in that Cleveland meltdown..

The window was a good aperature last year..tighter this year..but not shut.
                        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Jun 18, 2018, 12:39 PM.
                        - TGO

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                          Hated how Lowry had to give up touches last season. He was finally healthy in the playoffs but he was only taking 10 shots a game
                          Yea and he played very well this playoffs too. Casey was just an idiot and im so glad hes gone. You can play Kyle less minutes and still give he his usual touches. Kyle runs the team better than anyone else not named Fred and he always passes to JV more than anyone else
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Exactly. That's my question
                            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                              For this team to take another leap it’s reliant on Siakam or OG taking a massive leap.

While I see the positives in JV, I don’t think he is the answer. I hope he does get a higher usage and they can find a role that exemplifies his talents. Or maybe Casey was already doing that...we’ll see.

It’s been said for years, Lowry and DeMar aren’t #1’s. They are 2a and 2b. We are capped out and without trading away or young assets and draft picks it’s pretty difficult to take the next step.

So it really does rely on internal growth and hoping at least one guy devolps in to a better than our current all-stars. I picked OG and Siakam because I think they have the base talent and it’s been reported that they are extremely hard workers. Perhaps leaps comes from someone else, who knows.
                              I agree. Internal growth is probably what we are gonna be replying on most. I just have this feeling nothing big is gonna happen in terms of trades this offseason. Not because Masai isn't going to be trying but just because he's not gonna like the offers he's going to get. OG and Siakam definitely have the highest potential than any of our young guys so I agree they can and should probably take the biggest steps forward. I'm definitely excited about our young guys. Nick Nurse will be proof if a better more creative coach is all this team needs. Because I still truly believe we are and were talented enough to be Cleveland. We just played hella stupid and a lot of that was on the coach and Demar being a shell of himself. If we can trade Demar I have no problems with that but I feel it won't happen. Him and Norm are our only good assets. Unless you need to package a few of our younger players with them

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                                On the other had we keep hearing about all these other trmeams getting better because their youth is developing ,... and the Raptors don’t get mentioned in those talks. Did we not have one of the youngest teams in the playoffs???

Yes we don’t have the prospects (or hype) of Phili or Boston, but come’on we have pretty interesting young pieces that were in year 1 of playing a big role.
                                Exactly. Delon is the perfect example. Even though he is a bit older and he has been in the league for 3 years he's only played big consistent minutes this year. And this was all of their first playoffs with consistent minutes. And he showed so much improvement over the year with his 3 point shot. I expect all of our young guys to come back better next season. Hopefully one or two of them take a bigger leap than expected.

Comment

Working...
                                X