No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It would be nice to see a point by point comparison of Nick and Casey's positives and negatives. I don't know enough about Nurse to do this but some obvious points are:

Nurse favors passing to find the better/best option
    Nurse wants to use other players in the offence more
    Nurse believes it is important to give the younger players development minutes during the season
    Nurse is a creative offensive strategist
    Nurse seems to have a good rapport with the younger players

Casey has the reputation of being a good defensive coach and the Raptors have been top five defensively under his watch
    Casey seems to get on well with the players and has been praised by the core
    The team has achieved high offensive ratings at different times under Casey
    Sorry, my mind isn't spitting anything else out.

All I can think of now are negatives for Casey. I haven't seen enough of Nurse to claim any negatives on his behalf.

Casey has used very bad rotations frequently
    Casey has allocated minutes irrationally
    Casey has leaned heavily on his veterans, even when they were performing poorly
    Casey has shown little creativity in timeouts or short clock situations
    Casey has not adapted well to other teams offences
    Casey has not held players accountable for poor defensive play
    Casey has thrown players and assistants under the bus on occasion

I realize this is probably a highly biased and ill informed summary, but Casey has driven me nuts numerous times over the last 6 years. Maybe you guys can add to or subtract from this list.

Comment

• The point of trying to highlight differences in the coaches is to try and understand what impact the change may have on the team's play and regular season (and playoff) results.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
        The point of trying to highlight differences in the coaches is to try and understand what impact the change may have on the team's play and regular season (and playoff) results.
        Oh, well that's easy then.

Casey's offence, until Nurse finally got to implement his system this year, never held up in the playoffs.
        Casey's defence never held up in the playoffs.
        Casey's rotations frequently cost us playoff games and even series.

Nurse being a mystery box in this regard is a big step up from that already.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Dude, adjust your expectations. DD will almost certainly lead the team in scoring if he’s still here. Let’s hope for decreased usage, lower minutes, and better defensive effort. But he’s not dropping below 20 PPG, and no one else is likely getting above that number.
          At current usage JV scores about 5 less points per 48 than DD. A Nick Nurse offense will have fewer mid range points, and more post scoring, plus DD will play fewer minutes.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
            At current usage JV scores about 5 less points per 48 than DD. A Nick Nurse offense will have fewer mid range points, and more post scoring, plus DD will play fewer minutes.
            Yes, all of those things are true, and DD will score more points than JV this year.

Hopefully not so much with the post scoring though. JV is far better as a roll/pop option and initiating offence from the high post - post ups on the block should remain a different look occasionally thrown at specific matchups.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yes, all of those things are true, and DD will score more points than JV this year.
              Possible. JV getting 3 more makes per 48, while playing atl least equal minutes is also possible, and consistent with what we've heard from Nurse.

Comment

Possible. JV getting 3 more makes per 48, while playing atl least equal minutes is also possible, and consistent with what we've heard from Nurse.
                Where do you get the idea JV will play at least equal minutes to derozan? Nurse has not said that and I don't see it
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

At least equal minutes to DD? That's insanity. It simply won't happen. JV's ceiling is 30, realistically, 32 if you reaaaally stretch it, and 30 is probably the correct over-under for him, being just as likely to slide in at 28-ish. DeMar's floor is probably 34, and he's likely to be up at 36.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

At least equal minutes to DD? That's insanity. It simply won't happen. JV's ceiling is 30, realistically, 32 if you reaaaally stretch it, and 30 is probably the correct over-under for him, being just as likely to slide in at 28-ish. DeMar's floor is probably 34, and he's likely to be up at 36.
                    Sounds like a kind of Schrödinger's DeRozan who will play a smaller role under Nurse and not play a smaller role under Nurse. Which is philosophically true, since we wont know the state of DeRozan's role until we open the box when the season starts.

You argue that we can't reduce his usage while playing, because nobody guards him when the ball is not in his hands, and also that we can't reduce his minutes, because his "floor" is 34 mins. I'm not clear on what this "floor" is based on. Wright will almost certainly take some of his minutes. It's not clear how you imagine Nurse will reduce his role, while not bringing down either his usage or his minutes.

I don't see why JV playing similar minutes to Steve Adams is a stretch, or why DeRozan can't play similar minutes as Tyreke Evans has for most of his career.
                    Last edited by Quirk; Fri Jul 6, 2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Last edited by Quirk; Fri Jul 6, 2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Makes the narrative people made up that Nurse is a quiet guy and would have trouble getting the team to listen even more ridiculous lol

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                              Makes the narrative people made up that Nurse is a quiet guy and would have trouble getting the team to listen even more ridiculous lol
                              I'm not sure we can judge Nurse's alpha-ness until he has to hold Kyle or Demar accountable for not playing defense or not passing the ball. Players, coaches, everybody says all the right things during the off-season, but strangely we haven't heard a single quote from Kyle or Demar about Nurse and the coaching change.

Comment

Sounds like a kind of Schrödinger's DeRozan who will play a smaller role under Nurse and not play a smaller role under Nurse. Which is philosophically true, since we wont know the state of DeRozan's role until we open the box when the season starts.

You argue that we can't reduce his usage while playing, because nobody guards him when the ball is not in his hands, and also that we can't reduce his minutes, because his "floor" is 34 mins. I'm not clear on what this "floor" is based on. Wright will almost certainly take some of his minutes. It's not clear how you imagine Nurse will reduce his role, while not bringing down either his usage or his minutes.

I don't see why JV playing similar minutes to Steve Adams is a stretch, or why DeRozan can't play similar minutes as Tyreke Evans has for most of his career.
                                OK. Just don't be surprised come the fall, that's all.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X