Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
    The notoriously silent Raptors organization had it widely known that “no one’s untouchable.” I’m sure they looked. Masai could see what we all saw. (So could everyone else.) If a deal of value wasn’t there, what do you? I’m fine with them not making a bad deal, even though some people here have openly said sometimes you gotta be willing to do that. Fact is, we’re still within a hair’s breadth of being able to advance to the Finals as it stands. (And no team for a generation is gonna take down the dubs.. maybe Boston in a few years. Philly ain’t SHIT yet.)

I’d much rather watch a season where they continue to try and figure it out and push on through. Gimme the hard work of actually figuring something out over the la-la land tank amidst 20 other no-hope teams—waiting for shit to click in another 5-8 years. Win while he may as much as ye may. Liking Nurse calling shit exactly like he sees it. Also liking the possibility of signing this Spanish coach. Bravely forward Rappies.
    My point was really that we as fans have absolutely no idea what Masai is thinking. Was DeMar openly offered? Did anyone call him to ask about DeMar?

He said he was open for business.. but it doesn't mean he went out and shopped DeMar and got no good offers for him. It could be that his phone was on and he was waiting for a call, but nothing significant came in.

Ideally Masai was trying to shop him and got bad deals. That's a narrative I can live with. But if he didn't even try than that sucks. But we'll never know one way or another unless something leaks to the press.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      But they wouldn't go out to try and move anyone/everyone, except maybe Ibaka (the fact that they seem to have approached Ilyasova's people at all makes me assume that he was a guy they were actively looking to move). You only do that if you want to tank, and even if moves are made, that doesn't seem to be the plan.

What is most likely is that instead they called teams who had players and assets they had interest in, and didn't offer anyone specific, instead seeing what teams asked for in return.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      We need shooting. Maybe we were thinking about a tax payer mid-level type of deal for him.. or even a vet minimum. He took a full mid level and we had no way to match that so moved on. Doesn't mean that Ibaka was on the table at all.

You don't have to "tank" to trade DeMar. You can get back decent roll players and prospects that can fit into what Nurse wants to do.

And again we have no idea if Masai made any calls at all. Just speculation. He may not have, but we may never know.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        We need shooting. Maybe we were thinking about a tax payer mid-level type of deal for him.. or even a vet minimum. He took a full mid level and we had no way to match that so moved on. Doesn't mean that Ibaka was on the table at all.

You don't have to "tank" to trade DeMar. You can get back decent roll players and prospects that can fit into what Nurse wants to do.

And again we have no idea if Masai made any calls at all. Just speculation. He may not have, but we may never know.
        Ok, well Ilyasova can only play PF, so if they were pursuing him at all, his minutes would have to come somewhere. Siakam is not going to be shopped. He may have to be included in a deal, but if anyone would be actively shopped to make room for Ersan, it would be Ibaka.

And at no point did I say that trading DeMar is tanking. I said a team doesn't actively shop all players unless they plan on tanking (ie take a step back). Otherwise a competent manager calls teams with assets he wants that he thinks can improve the team short or long term. There is no way Masai would just start cold calling teams like "hey man, what would you give me for DeMar or Kyle?"

Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Jul 8, 2018, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Ok, well Ilyasova can only play PF, so if they were pursuing him at all, his minutes would have to come somewhere. Siakam is not going to be shopped. He may have to be included in a deal, but if anyone would be actively shopped to make room for Ersan, it would be Ibaka.

And at no point did I say that trading DeMar is tanking. I said a team doesn't actively shop all players unless they plan on tanking (ie take a step back). Otherwise a competent manager calls teams with assets he wants that he thinks can improve the team short or long term. There is no way Masai would just start cold calling teams like "hey man, what would you give me for DeMar or Kyle?"

We only have 2 PF on the roster.. and one of them is probably better at C. So yeah the depth can't hurt. You just stagger the minutes between he Ibaka and Siakam. No need to give Ibaka the amount of minutes he got last year.. and a few DNP-CD's might be beneficial for him and the team. Either way we just may have called his agent about him to figure out his price tag.

If the team is not actively shopping DeMar it's a bad look.. that's my position. I want DD on the market.. and I would be happy if nobody wanted him.. to me that is a narrative I can live with. But if Masai/Bobby are not exploring any DD trade that's a bad look in my opinion. DD was terrible against the Cavs. That series got our coach fired, but we primarily lost the way we did because DD played the way he did.

I never even mentioned Kyle.. Kyle should not be shopped since he's one of our best most impactful players. Trading him is a sure fire way of tanking or becoming mediocre real quickly. That's a tank move and one I would not agree with.

I wish he did cold call some teams about DeMar. And the fact you think Masai wouldn't do that really makes me wonder why? And we don't even know if he took that stance. Our office is leak proof.

Barolt assumed we tried to move DD but because of his contract or the type of player he is we got stinky offers that Masai happily rejected. I am playing Devil's advocate saying that Masai didn't even try to move him. And because his office is leak proof, we'll most likely never know the truth.

The problem I have is if Masai didn't make any calls about him than it's a bad look on him. And I hope that wasn't the case.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            The problem is we'll never know if it was that or if Masai/Bobby just never even bothered trying to move him. It could be the ladder. They said "everyone is available".. but it doesn't mean they actually went and tried to move anyone.

Hard for anyone to get any read on what Masai and Bobby are thinking. And with no rumours associated with the Raptors (other than some vague interest in Ersan Ilyasova).. it feels to me like DeMar was never on the trade block.
            Depends on your definition of trade block. I'd say he was and still is 100% available for a good offer, but we're not actively shopping him like he's Melo. He's certainly not untouchable and I'd almost guarantee Masai proposed some deals involving DD that discerning GM's turned down.

As for defensive effort, I love what Nurse is saying. DD has all the physical tools to play above average defense, he just doesn't have the mentality. Maybe when you tell him you're gonna guard their best wing and we expect you to beat him on both ends of the floor Derozan will rise to the challenge.

Comment

• He is currently an assistant coach for the Toronto Raptors of the NBA.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Scariolo

Does Wikipedia know something we don't know?

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Scariolo

Does Wikipedia know something we don't know?
                This has been reported several times that Scariolo is likely being brought on as an assistant.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  This has been reported several times that Scariolo is likely being brought on as an assistant.
                  But not confirmed, or officially announced, AFAIK. Odd that Wikipedia is breaking this news

Comment

• Was added on July 7 by "Bluesangre" who has no userpage, usng an IP address from Richmond Hill. The same IP address also has been updating the Nick Nurse page.

Comment

But not confirmed, or officially announced, AFAIK. Odd that Wikipedia is breaking this news
                      Anyone can edit Wikipedia. Some enterprising European basketball fan made an edit.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Anyone can edit Wikipedia. Some enterprising European basketball fan made an edit.
                        Are you seriously 'splaining Wikipedia? Anyway, unless the editor is using a cheapass VPN that hosts its exit nodes on a consumer Teksavvy curcuit in Richmond Hill, they ain't in Europe.

Comment

Are you seriously 'splaining Wikipedia? Anyway, unless the editor is using a cheapass VPN that hosts its exit nodes on a consumer Teksavvy curcuit in Richmond Hill, they ain't in Europe.
                          I didn’t say they were in Europe. I said they were a fan of European basketball.

That said, I could be wrong and it’s some similarly enthusiastic Raptors fan putting rumours on Wikipedia. Either way...
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I didn’t say they were in Europe. I said they were a fan of European basketball.

That said, I could be wrong and it’s some similarly enthusiastic Raptors fan putting rumours on Wikipedia. Either way...
                            Either way it's a funny find on Wikipedia, nothing more.

Update: I added Citation needed and a comment on the talk page,
                            Last edited by Quirk; Wed Jul 11, 2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• “I’m a roll up my sleeves and get dirty kinda guy“.

Fuck Nick get a new line! 4th interview I’ve seen with him and he answers the “why are you coaching Summer League?” question with the same scripted answer the exact same way. I hope this guy has more personality than what he’s shown.
                              Last edited by saints91; Thu Jul 12, 2018, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• Who gives a crap what Nurse is saying in interviews? Summer league or not.

Not like Casey had personality. Just a chronic cough.

Comment

Working...
                                X