Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
    Does this mean we're signing KD next summer?
    No sneks allowed
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
      Does this mean we're signing KD next summer?
      Kevin Durant's childhood dream manifests...

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
        I hope someday we'll be able to think of Nick Nurse as our Steve Kerr,
        where Dwane Casey equals Mark Jackson.

I'm not suggesting we'll suddenly become GSW, obviously.
        But I hope this might be the similar moment when everything clicks.
        Whether Nurse works out or not, like Masai said.... we HAD to do something. Since we can't attract tier 1 free agents, then coaching is one position where we absolutely must have an advantage, or at the very least break-even. It's pretty clear that Casey wasn't giving us a coaching advantage in the playoffs. Nurse is hanging is hat on being 'innovative' and 'creative'. He's going to have to back that up to beat a full Celtics squad led by now seasoned Brad Stevens. All that at the same time as earning the respect of Kawhi and being a big part of keeping him here. Tough task for a rookie coach, IMO.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
          Whether Nurse works out or not, like Masai said.... we HAD to do something. Since we can't attract tier 1 free agents, then coaching is one position where we absolutely must have an advantage, or at the very least break-even. It's pretty clear that Casey wasn't giving us a coaching advantage in the playoffs. Nurse is hanging is hat on being 'innovative' and 'creative'. He's going to have to back that up to beat a full Celtics squad led by now seasoned Brad Stevens. All that at the same time as earning the respect of Kawhi and being a big part of keeping him here. Tough task for a rookie coach, IMO.
          And he only has 1 year to do it.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            And he only has 1 year to do it.
            Yeah. In hindsight, sticking with Casey year after year was Masai’s biggest mistake, instead of biting the bullet and developing a modern NBA coach years earlier. Instead we had a guy that you needed to drag into the future kicking and screaming. I’m not very optimistic about Nurse for this season, tbh. It’s a pretty huge jump from assistant to head coach and his job description is ‘get to the Finals and convince Kawhi to stay.’ Tall frickin’ task.

Comment

Yeah. In hindsight, sticking with Casey year after year was Masai’s biggest mistake, instead of biting the bullet and developing a modern NBA coach years earlier. Instead we had a guy that you needed to drag into the future kicking and screaming. I’m not very optimistic about Nurse for this season, tbh. It’s a pretty huge jump from assistant to head coach and his job description is ‘get to the Finals and convince Kawhi to stay.’ Tall frickin’ task.
              The latter is shared responsibility between Nurse, Webster, Masai, the rest of the players, and the people of Toronto.

If I'm in Nurse's shoes, I'd operate under the assumption that winning cures all. Win games, and that will be the biggest sales pitch.

Comment

Yeah. In hindsight, sticking with Casey year after year was Masai’s biggest mistake, instead of biting the bullet and developing a modern NBA coach years earlier....
                That right there wraps up Masai's biggest problem. He's too loyal to people in the organization. :-)

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  That right there wraps up Masai's biggest problem. He's too loyal to people in the organization. :-)
                  and here I thought there's no loyalty!

Comment

• Nurse was running most of the on the fly stuff when casey was here. Even during time outs he was talking most. Casey could probably give half his coy to nurse. Casey was lame post game hed just look at the boxscore - we got outrebounded - we need to rebound more. Like dd a good guy though

Comment

• ...but he had favourites and guys he didnt like. JV he ignored way too much. Why he didnt give anything to james johnson when ross stunk game after game is beyond reason. Probably helped lou williams get pushed out

Comment

• Not sad about Casey departing at all. I saw him for who he was after we lost to Brooklyn. Barely anything changed since then so I'm excited to see what Nick Nurse does, and hope that he is capable of learning and adapting on the fly. In a way it sucks to be in his position, because now with Kawhi expectations are through the roof. I think the bare minimum is losing to Boston in 7. Anything else would be a failure.
                        Last edited by nubreed000; Tue Jul 24, 2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Green mentioned it in his podcast.. but it's official:

Comment

• Seems like things have shaped up really well with the assistant coaching staff... Would people agree?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Green mentioned it in his podcast.. but it's official:

Just going by his resume of players on the teams he worked for... seems he maybe has a bit of a svengali/whisperer type personality with an affinity for handling the superstar player mentality. It is a touch coincidental then that he gets a position here to possibly handle Kawhi?

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                                Seems like things have shaped up really well with the assistant coaching staff... Would people agree?
                                The proof will be in the ******* I suppose but I like the "international" feel which perhaps brings more inventive playcalling. And they all have experienced resumes.

Comment

Working...
                                X