No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone is talking about how they expect some rough patches this season, especially for Nurse, but that they will gladly take this with the potential for improvement in the playoffs. I guarantee Nurse tries something which costs us a game and people will be calling for his head. Hopefully people can be this calm when the actual games start but I doubt it.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
      Everyone is talking about how they expect some rough patches this season, especially for Nurse, but that they will gladly take this with the potential for improvement in the playoffs. I guarantee Nurse tries something which costs us a game and people will be calling for his head. Hopefully people can be this calm when the actual games start but I doubt it.
      If everyone are healthy it wont be a problem to duplicate last season after all Nurse was there. The growth will be when facing old demons like Lebron, Warriors OKC and healthy Boston to see if we actually able compete on a high level for 48 minutes straight.

Comment

• I think it helps that he has buy in from some of the main guys (KL, JV). And there won’t be that inherent rock and a hard place situation of having to give major minutes to someone who maybe didn’t give their all on defence. Not a dig at Demar, that just seems to be a common belief and doesn’t take away from his strengths.

Comment

• Kuh wrote: View Post
          Nick Nurse is turning into one of the key men for this team for the coming season.

He's got all sorts of tools to work with:
          - Lowry, Kawhi and Jonas will start
          - Delon and Freddie to juggle as backup PGs
          - Ibaka, Siakam, Monroe (and OG and Kawhi) to juggle as bigs
          - OG, Danny, CJ, Norm (and Delon) to juggle as wings

The question is: what will Nurse (and his coaching team) make of all these tools?
          - can Nick (as a rookie NBA head coach) turn all these tools into a cohesive team?
          - will he go with predictable rotations, or will he change it up based on the opponents?
          - how quickly will lineups get to know each other, especially if there is constant change rather than predictable rotations?
          - can he manage the chemistry where for character or performance reasons none of the vets (Lowry, Leonard, Ibaka, Green or Monroe) is an obvious steady, reliable, team leader in the locker room?
          - and can he manage the chemistry in his own coaching team?

I predict a slowish start as Nick starts to figure all this out. The question is, will the team gel by December or not?
          With the players on the roster, during the regular season, Nurse has the option, for about 25% of the games the Raptors play in the eastern conference, of determining the rotation for that game by throwing a set of dice. And the Raptors should win. He is going to have a hard time managing his riches. :-)

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
            I think it helps that he has buy in from some of the main guys (KL, JV). And there won’t be that inherent rock and a hard place situation of having to give major minutes to someone who maybe didn’t give their all on defence. Not a dig at Demar, that just seems to be a common belief and doesn’t take away from his strengths.
            Bah. At this point, it's more than okay to take a dig at DeMar based on what he's stirred up. Like JJ Redick said in his podcast: when it comes to trades, NBA players need to get over themselves and realize that it's not all about.... me.... me.... me. Be grateful. The vibe we seem to be getting now is that DeMar did the Raptors this altruistic magnanimous favor by graciously agreeing to ply his trade in this backwater basketball hicktown, singlehandedly elevating us from league laughingstocks to a now respected franchise.

DeMar was a huge part of the turnaround, no doubt, but the franchise went above and beyond to build around his unique strengths and hide his flaws, which still got exposed every post-season. That's at least a wash in my books.

Comment

• Yesterday I had a chance to listen to an older Zach Lowe podcast.. I think it's a couple of weeks old now. Zach talks to Michael Wright who's a beat reporter for the Spurs and covered the entire Kawhi saga unfold in San Antonio.

Really good segment.

Anyway, one name to pay attention to would be Jeremy Castleberry. He's an assistant coach on the Spurs and one of Kawhi's really close friends (they played on San Diego State together). Kawhi basically got Jeremy that gig.. and he helps rebound the ball for Kawhi when he's doing shooting drills.

Spurs apparently love him so he may not be available.. but just throwing this out there in case Nurse feels like pouching someone from the Spurs staff to help Kawhi get more comfortable in Toronto.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                Yesterday I had a chance to listen to an older Zach Lowe podcast.. I think it's a couple of weeks old now. Zach talks to Michael Wright who's a beat reporter for the Spurs and covered the entire Kawhi saga unfold in San Antonio.

Really good segment.

Anyway, one name to pay attention to would be Jeremy Castleberry. He's an assistant coach on the Spurs and one of Kawhi's really close friends (they played on San Diego State together). Kawhi basically got Jeremy that gig.. and he helps rebound the ball for Kawhi when he's doing shooting drills.

Spurs apparently love him so he may not be available.. but just throwing this out there in case Nurse feels like pouching someone from the Spurs staff to help Kawhi get more comfortable in Toronto.
                Sweet.. I called it!

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Sweet.. I called it!

i heard that podcast too actually sounds like he is a smart good guy too

Comment

• Heyyooo!

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Heyyooo!

So that stuff about their first meeting being a meeting of minds wasn't bullshit. Couldn't be better. Keep it up Nick.

Comment

• We had the father figure type long enough. In 2018, the better option is to hire a nerd. Look at Stevens, budenholzer, even kerr
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Listening to Monroe's interview, it seems like Nurse sold him on Toronto as well
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                            Heyyooo!

Substitute the name Dwane Casey for Nick Nurse in that Kawhi quote and tell me how that fits.

Comment

• So far, I'm liking everything I'm seeing/reading RE: Nurse.

Where my apprehension lies, is whether or not he's capable of making "uncomfortable" decisions. Is he a disciplinarian? Is he willing to curb bad habits? Is he enough of a communicator to get through to some of the tougher personalities, without offending them? When the going gets tough, will established players take a rookie coach seriously?

Stay tuned....

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                So far, I'm liking everything I'm seeing/reading RE: Nurse.

Where my apprehension lies, is whether or not he's capable of making "uncomfortable" decisions. Is he a disciplinarian? Is he willing to curb bad habits? Is he enough of a communicator to get through to some of the tougher personalities, without offending them? When the going gets tough, will established players take a rookie coach seriously?

Stay tuned....
                                Rookie head coach in the league, but he's had years of experience head coaching in several other places.

I do have those questions, though, when the storm starts to hit. Everyone he's gone, it seems he's got a good morale and connection with players. I mean, he's been the assistant coach for a little bit with the Raptors, esp. with him integrating that offense last year. A lot of the "how will Nurse handle the pressure" talk is a bit bogus to me. He's seen the success, and was a part of the wins and losses, now he just gets the opportunity to make the final decision, which he should've had when Casey was here.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X