No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurse's set plays are so simple, but utitlizes the spacing and timeliness so well.

Green's defender didn't commit, he wasn't sure where he would defend, and any split-second you lose of Green is lights out.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Simplicity is always best.

Comment

• There was an out of time out play yesterday where Green got a wide open layup and no defender was 10 feet near him.

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
          There was an out of time out play yesterday where Green got a wide open layup and no defender was 10 feet near him.
          There was also a set pin-down play where I believe it was Danny Green coming off a screen on the right side, and Covington completely shadowed the right side, giving Lowry a free driving lane, who was then fouled.

The read and react has been so-so thus far, but Nurse's set plays have been money, money, and... more money.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• 11 games in I have to tip my cap to this guy. It's easy to talk about how great of a leader Lowry has turned into, how Siakam is growing etc etc and all of that is true. However we should remember that Nurse has been the spearhead of all this success with his tactical decisions. It's so beautiful to watch this team blossoming into a great defensive team that fears no one and that has the ability to beat anyone on any night.

Comment

• Beneperez wrote: View Post
              11 games in I have to tip my cap to this guy. It's easy to talk about how great of a leader Lowry has turned into, how Siakam is growing etc etc and all of that is true. However we should remember that Nurse has been the spearhead of all this success with his tactical decisions. It's so beautiful to watch this team blossoming into a great defensive team that fears no one and that has the ability to beat anyone on any night.
              The defense is somewhat surprising. I mean, yes, I acknowledge that we have a roster of long/lanky plus defenders, but I'm surprised at Nurse's defensive emphasis. He's much more than just "guys, let's shoot a lot of 3s!".

Comment

• And timeout usage has been sublime. Don't think we've seen anything more than a 6 nothing run so far, lol.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  The defense is somewhat surprising. I mean, yes, I acknowledge that we have a roster of long/lanky plus defenders, but I'm surprised at Nurse's defensive emphasis. He's much more than just "guys, let's shoot a lot of 3s!".
                  that's actually true I don't feel like we shot that many threes if anything feels like they cut down on them
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• He's made a good impression so far. But I'm not ready to give him any significant credit, because this roster's loaded.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      that's actually true I don't feel like we shot that many threes if anything feels like they cut down on them
                      We're about 0.7 threes per 100 possessions down from last year.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

And timeout usage has been sublime. Don't think we've seen anything more than a 6 nothing run so far, lol.
                        And Nurse actually changes schemes and calls plays, instead of just plugging in new guys into the same roles and hoping they "play harder" or "make shots". Jury's still out, though. I didn't like that he let the Jazz bully us last night and didn't seem to go at the refs to protect the players.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          But I'm not ready to give him any significant credit, because this roster's loaded.
                          Fair enough on holding off on the credit as his verdict will ultimately be decided in late Spring. On the roster being loaded... that is always going to be at most half of the equation. I can't help but wonder what this team's record would have been at this point under Casey or rather, how we'd feel about their play leaving results aside. You really would want to bet on Casey playing Siakam this way? You think Serge would be thriving at the four spot that he was sentenced to last year? You think we'd be able to adapt to this road trip without Kawhi? Just food for thought.
                          Last edited by Beneperez; Tue Nov 6, 2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

And timeout usage has been sublime. Don't think we've seen anything more than a 6 nothing run so far, lol.
                            That is the most noticeable difference between him and Casey so far. Nurse calls timeouts at the right times.

Comment

• Beneperez wrote: View Post
                              Fair enough on holding off on the credit as his verdict will ultimately be decided in late Spring. On the roster being loaded... that is always going to be at most half of the equation. I can't help but think wonder what this team's record would have been at this point under Casey or rather, how we'd feel about their play leaving results aside. You really would want to bet on Casey playing Siakam this way? You think Serge would be thriving at the four spot that he was sentenced to last year? You think we'd be able to adapt to this road trip without Kawhi? Just food for thought.
                              Oh, no doubt. All those things you mentioned are good points, and may be true.

There's another variable to consider as well: what's the impact of simply removing Demar from the team? A bunch of us here have argued for a long time that if you switched him out for someone like, say, Danny Green, the team would be better off overall. The past two games have certainly suggested this might be the case.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                And Nurse actually changes schemes and calls plays, instead of just plugging in new guys into the same roles and hoping they "play harder" or "make shots". Jury's still out, though. I didn't like that he let the Jazz bully us last night and didn't seem to go at the refs to protect the players.
                                Regarding the bold, one could argue that a "just go out and play" attitude stems from the coach. If coach is whining about non-calls, then players feel they can do the same. We're not exactly a team known for mental toughness.

If coach is already more concerned with the next possession, players will follow Nurse's lead, and in time, tune out the unpredictable nature of officiating.

The msg should be: focus on what you CAN control, because officiating is not one of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X