Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post

I cannot understand why Nurse would ever have Powell be the in-bound passer and then why call that idiotic full court pass play with the score being what was. Those two plays cost 5 points. Didn't affect the outcome fortunately. First you always have a high IQ guy (Sorry Norm) take the ball on o.o.b. plays and secondly no need for that stupid high risk low reward play that cost Serge 3 games. Those were two real dumb-ass calls on Nurse's part. What is the guy thinking. The part that freakin' bugged me was Powell's smirky laugh...HA HA I got another year at 10 mil. HA HA
    Even in blowouts, you try plays you'll use in the post season bag of tricks. And every NBA player should be able to make an inbounds pass, do you need to be that mysterious "high bbiq" guy to do that? lol

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Ibaka has not been substantially better. They've both been just average since the trade.

ibaka has been a better individual scorer, but the ball sticks. We have had the BEST 3 pts % in the league since gasol showed up and that is not coincidence. The 5 man game was absolutely gorgeous last night.

in short, I like ibaka bringing scoring punch off the bench and getting some chemistry with fred. Gasols bbiq is needed
      It's so hard to factor a great performance like that when you look at the opposition. I definitely think you have to give Gasol as much time as possible between now and the playoffs with the starters because when he plays like he is capable of the team is just that much better. Having said that Ibaka has been really good this season and what if Gasol never finds his groove with the starters?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

It's so hard to factor a great performance like that when you look at the opposition. I definitely think you have to give Gasol as much time as possible between now and the playoffs with the starters because when he plays like he is capable of the team is just that much better. Having said that Ibaka has been really good this season and what if Gasol never finds his groove with the starters?
        I think Masai brought Gasol in to play with the starters and however it turns out, he's willing to take it as it comes becuase if he made no changes and kept JV and somehow we were bounced in the first two rounds, he might have to fall on his sword.

As it is, no one can fault him for taking the shot.

Comment

• Sunday, VanVleet took the court for the fifth time in eight days after missing more than a month, and again looked terrific, scoring a dozen on 5-of-9 shooting over 31 minutes.

“Yeah, he’s playing great,” Nurse said prior to Sunday’s game. “I think his health is at its peak right now. He’s in great shape, he’s physically feeling good — and that’s maybe for the first time all year, really.

“He’s just back to the guy we remember from a year ago a little bit more. It really gives us a weapon. He’s tough, he’s smart, he shoots, he’ll get that odd layup here and there when the shot clock’s running down, and he’ll make that shot-clock basket in the fourth quarter. He gets Kyle to the two, he’s a good leader. He’s an important player for us.”

And there is a cascading reaction to VanVleet’s return that can be felt throughout Toronto’s roster. For starters, Lowry can play some shooting guard in the thick of games, after his run with the starters to begin the night, and before he takes a crucial playmaking role with Toronto’s closing lineup.

Playing a full game as point guard is a physical and mental grind. The ball’s always in your hands, you’re constantly thinking, reading, analyzing, and selecting depending on what looks a defence is showing you, and your defensive assignment is rarely an easy one. Letting Lowry ease up on the gas and play the two guard for a spell, while VanVleet takes over primary facilitating duties, can only help Toronto’s most important player stay fresh for a game’s most crucial minutes.

“It’s important. I think it’s a lot of work bringing the ball up the floor, especially when teams are hounding you full court,” Nurse said. “To ease a few of those burdens — bringing it up, maybe running the team — and letting [Lowry] concentrate on getting that three-ball off or screening or whatever the other things he can do for us, for six, eight, 10, 12 minutes a game, is important. I think it gets him to the end of the game a little better, physically and mentally.”

Comment

• From the front of the site article "Drawing Purpose from Purposeless Gales."

"Regular season experimentation is going to lose Toronto some games. But experimentation will continue as long as losses won’t affect seeding. For what else are these games when Toronto cares not for the result? It’s better to do it now than the playoffs. Toronto could easily win all its games remaining; cut the rotation, play the starters 35+ minutes each, and run the plays that they know will succeed. But Toronto doesn’t care if it wins or loses. What matters is knowing what will work in the future. And even though Toronto has already played 74 games, they still don’t know exactly how best to manage a full 48 minutes in a single one."

A principal point is that the injuries, absences, roster churn has left them with questions about how well different combinations will play together, so the experimentation will continue.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
              From the front of the site article "Drawing Purpose from Purposeless Gales."

"Regular season experimentation is going to lose Toronto some games. But experimentation will continue as long as losses won’t affect seeding. For what else are these games when Toronto cares not for the result? It’s better to do it now than the playoffs. Toronto could easily win all its games remaining; cut the rotation, play the starters 35+ minutes each, and run the plays that they know will succeed. But Toronto doesn’t care if it wins or loses. What matters is knowing what will work in the future. And even though Toronto has already played 74 games, they still don’t know exactly how best to manage a full 48 minutes in a single one."

A principal point is that the injuries, absences, roster churn has left them with questions about how well different combinations will play together, so the experimentation will continue.
              Who writes this stuff? The Raptor PR Dept?

Comment

Who writes this stuff? The Raptor PR Dept?
                Casey maximized players game minutes to win regular season games and then in the playoffs baffled fans as he threw out weird combinations looking for something that might work. Nurse is baffling fans during regular season games, trying stuff that doesn't work, so that he knows what is a waste of time and what has worked and can potentially be used in the playoffs.

Do I trust the feelings of a bunch of fans concerned about chemistry, or a head coach with 30 years of experience and a record of succeeding at every level in the basketball world until he got to his current position, who has about 150 years of professional basketball experience encapsulated in his staff, supported by the most advanced video and technical analytics equipment and analysis software available. Hmmmmm. That's a tough one.

Imma think I go with Nurse.

Comment

Casey maximized players game minutes to win regular season games and then in the playoffs baffled fans as he threw out weird combinations looking for something that might work. Nurse is baffling fans during regular season games, trying stuff that doesn't work, so that he knows what is a waste of time and what has worked and can potentially be used in the playoffs.

Do I trust the feelings of a bunch of fans concerned about chemistry, or a head coach with 30 years of experience and a record of succeeding at every level in the basketball world until he got to his current position, who has about 150 years of professional basketball experience encapsulated in his staff, supported by the most advanced video and technical analytics equipment and analysis software available. Hmmmmm. That's a tough one.

Some Raptor fans are funny ....
                  They want to fire a rookie NBA coach who has taken a good team that has suffered tremendous injuries throughout the entire season to key pieces like Lowry, FVV and disappearances from OG both on and off the court. Their superstar playing less than 2/3 of the games. A major mid season trade and integrating new players into the starting lineup. Trade deadline pickups and a series of 10-days. A suspension to Serge.

And he still has them happy healthy, no real drama and ready for the post season and will end up with 55+ games, perhaps 2nd in the entire league.

"BUT HE KEEPS THROWING OUT WEIRD LINEUPS!"

The odds of winning the chip are slim but a few are all ready to decide it's on the coach for some reason but he's got them winning just about where you'd expect, all things considered.

Comment

Please do not take my question as a criticism of Nurse, his experience or the play of the team. I am simply curious as to the source of the article. The paragraphs quoted are written from the perspective of an insider who is privy to the teams strategy / goals for the remaining games this season. Either that or the author is creating a narrative that rationalizes the relatively pedestrian play of the team lately (5-5 in last 10 games).

Comment

• Speaking of weird lineups - I had some time on my hands and was sketching up an 8-man playoff rotation. The 1st half is shown below, which can be repeated in the 2nd half.

Main idea is to have Kawhi/Green or Lowry/Siakam on the court with bench players (FVV, OG, Ibaka). Gasol and Ibaka are somewhat interchangeable, depending on if you want more playmaking (Gasol) or shotblocking (Ibaka).

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        Speaking of weird lineups - I had some time on my hands and was sketching up an 8-man playoff rotation. The 1st half is shown below, which can be repeated in the 2nd half.

Main idea is to have Kawhi/Green or Lowry/Siakam on the court with bench players (FVV, OG, Ibaka). Gasol and Ibaka are somewhat interchangeable, depending on if you want more playmaking (Gasol) or shotblocking (Ibaka).

And then we get into foul trouble... lol

Comment

And then we get into foul trouble... lol
                          lol. That's the basic sub pattern... of course you leave bench guys in if they're rolling and try different guys (like McCaw & Norm) if there are some matchup/foul problems. I mean, you can't actually stop the clock at the 6:00:00 min mark and take your guys out, if you were taking this that literally. lol.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                            Speaking of weird lineups - I had some time on my hands and was sketching up an 8-man playoff rotation. The 1st half is shown below, which can be repeated in the 2nd half.

Gasol and Ibaka will be a lot closer to each other, and we will see Siakam at the 5 A LOT I suspect especially against teams like Milwaukee.

So Siakam will see some of that center action, meaning minutes at the 4 open up, those go to OG and Kawhi, opening up more minutes at the 3 as a trickle down effect.

Point being, I'd subtract 5 minutes from the centers, and subtract 8 minutes from Danny Green and a couple minutes from OG, leaving about 15 minutes that will assuredly go to Jeremy Lin and or Norman Powell. Good work doe
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Gasol and Ibaka will be a lot closer to each other, and we will see Siakam at the 5 A LOT I suspect especially against teams like Milwaukee.

So Siakam will see some of that center action, meaning minutes at the 4 open up, those go to OG and Kawhi, opening up more minutes at the 3 as a trickle down effect.

Point being, I'd subtract 5 minutes from the centers, and subtract 8 minutes from Danny Green and a couple minutes from OG, leaving about 15 minutes that will assuredly go to Jeremy Lin and or Norman Powell. Good work doe
                              Yeah, it's just a baseline substitution pattern, but sh*t will happen and Nurse is gonna Nurse. The goal was to eliminate the need for Lin/Powell/McCaw, except for: foul trouble, specific matchups, injury or if Lowry/Kawhi/Green need a rest. The main idea is to play our highest positive impact players (and OG, out of necessity) the most minutes. Weird concept, I know.

Comment

• Danny is a big key here.. if he can go for over 30+ minutes a game that's a good thing. He's going to be our best perimeter defender (unless Kawhi decides to play defense). He averages 28 right now.. but the refs are going to ref.. and I suspect Danny to get called with cheap fouls early to get him out of the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X