Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

Players miss shots sometimes. JV on the whole missed shots very rarely, including in the playoffs. Single game outliers are exactly the sort of argument one needs to resort to in order to equate JV's contributions to our playoff struggles to DeRozan's or Casey's.
    Just saying he was a part of the team man, that's all. There is no equating. I liked the guy and happy he is getting a chance to be Memphis' primary scorer.

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post

Just saying he was a part of the team man, that's all. There is no equating. I liked the guy and happy he is getting a chance to be Memphis' primary scorer.
      You agreed with Keon's post where he was pretty clearly decrying any attempt to not equate JV with those guys.

Lowry was part of those teams too. Is Pascal a rookie or something? OG? FVV?

People who are upset or concerned about trading JV aren't going to feel better just because the team failed while he was here and accept any logic implying he was part of the problem over evidence that he could have been part of the solution - including as a solution to the issues this current team has.

Keon is right - this is a new team. It would also be a new team if JV hadn't been traded for Gasol, of course, as Lowry and all those other guys still being here on the new team proves. The question is not whether it is a new team - it's whether it's a better team because of the Gasol deal. Hopefully it is, but people questioning that is not some ridiculous thing.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post

Much much better than I thought. And I know when we actually starts playing the right lineups our offence should get a lot better. That's the hope at least
        My concern is that we've been playing more and more of the right lineups of late, and we're not quite seeing the gains I'd hope for. But hopefully we just need reps - which is why I'd been hoping to see this compressed rotation all season long, to build up the familiarity of pairs of star players surrounded by bench pieces; Pascal and Lowry, Pascal and Kawhi, Lowry and Kawhi, without the security blanket of Danny Green to boost them. Sadly, have to crunch all that into these final dozen or so games, and hope that everything clicks come the playoffs.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

You agreed with Keon's post where he was pretty clearly decrying any attempt to not equate JV with those guys.

Lowry was part of those teams too. Is Pascal a rookie or something? OG? FVV?

People who are upset or concerned about trading JV aren't going to feel better just because the team failed while he was here and accept any logic implying he was part of the problem over evidence that he could have been part of the solution - including as a solution to the issues this current team has.

Keon is right - this is a new team. It would also be a new team if JV hadn't been traded for Gasol, of course, as Lowry and all those other guys still being here on the new team proves. The question is not whether it is a new team - it's whether it's a better team because of the Gasol deal. Hopefully it is, but people questioning that is not some ridiculous thing.
          Indeed we should be looking forward in trying to determine if the trade improved the team? That said, It is a very difficult question to answer. In reality it is an impossible question to answer. There is no way to know if the team would achieve a better or worse playoff performance with JV & co. This is a case where everyone is right / wrong because there is no way to prove the alternative (hypothetical) side of the argument. I do respect the opinion of those who feel the trade was a mistake. The fact that it's done, JV is gone leaves us for better or worse with the team we have now. Hopefully we have a lengthy playoff run and get to see this team play at a sustained high level. How far we go???

Comment

My concern is that we've been playing more and more of the right lineups of late, and we're not quite seeing the gains I'd hope for. But hopefully we just need reps - which is why I'd been hoping to see this compressed rotation all season long, to build up the familiarity of pairs of star players surrounded by bench pieces; Pascal and Lowry, Pascal and Kawhi, Lowry and Kawhi, without the security blanket of Danny Green to boost them. Sadly, have to crunch all that into these final dozen or so games, and hope that everything clicks come the playoffs.
            I too would have liked to see a more consistent rotation, more so post trade. Alas, that is just not Nurses' philosophy i.e. Professor Experimentor. Load Management and injuries also necessitated line-up variations. Time will tell, but he is going against the generally accepted consistent-structured approach to line-up and rotation / clarity of roles adopted by NBA teams.

Comment

Very true. I guess we all have a lot of hoping to do going into the playoffs because we really haven't gotten a long enough look at any one lineup or rotation since we've been injured all year pretty much.
              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Nick nurse on the woj pod today

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post

pj was offered more money to stay here but chose Huston
                  Gasol is pretty vocal

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    We had a good defensive team last year primarily because of our bench who played significant minutes together. That bench doesn't exist this year. We were also extremely healthy.. so chemistry wasn't a factor.. and chemistry is a big deal defensively which we struggled with this year. New coach. Kawhi/Danny are new. Kyle got hurt. Then JV got hurt. Fred was banged up all year and then had to get surgery. Kawhi missing games. The trade deadline came and we swapped three guys for 1. Had to use the buy out market to get some new faces as well. Norm played significant minutes and didn't last year. Moose had to play significant minutes as our back up center.

DeMar, JV, Miles, etc were all bad individual defenders but as a team we tried hard for the most part but were most importantly in sync with each other. A lot of that got exposed in the playoffs against the Cavs. When the game tightens up.. chemistry isn't as important as talent. And the lack of talent (at least defensively) showed in spades.

Nurse's team doesn't try hard on defense. Not all the time anyway. In particular guys like Kawhi, Serge/Marc and Siakam aren't always working hard on defense.. or are losing their man as they aren't paying attention. Perhaps our schemes need more work.. hard to say. But when the team tries they are hard to score on. That's why I think there will be a flip. I've seen it in the regular season. It just doesn't happen often enough.
                    When we turn on our defence its pretty incredible. like i've seen us stop top level competition when we want 5 spots in a row (10-12 points worth of stoppage). I don't think defence will be the issue because playoffs always commands a higher level of focus than the regular season. I think this season has just been long and the team has become a little bored. Most of the guys have been in the playoffs enough times that they are at the point where they are just going through the motions at this point. To add to that we are playing teams that have nothing to play for and our seeding is more or less set. There is almost no way we can catch the bucks without risking injury. My suggestion would be starting to rest guys like siakam for OG. I also think we need to get Gasol going a bit more. His impact has been huge but its time to step things up even more. I also think i'd like to see more big to big passing from baseline to top of the key or pick and pop near the top of the key with Gasol and leonard or Gasol and Siakam waaaay more. It would allow us to have solid offense without having to sacrifice our defence since our guards would be spacing on the perimeter and ready for defence. Bucks will run out of gas especially with the injuries. It will force them to play Giannas more heavily in the first and second round than we previously thought. My assumption is that Boston will be annoying enough to beat the pacers in 6 and then get better with each series and they will push the bucks to the brink and we will face who ever comes.

The key to making the finals in my opinion is not fooling around in the early two rounds. The first round we gotta either sweep or beat whoever it is in no more than 5 games. The next round we will have to beat most likely philly within 5 or 6 games and we can. It will be tough but we need to get lucky in one of the games and basically beat them in 5 if we beat them in 6 its fine.

If we do that then we will be fresh enough. That has been the biggest difference with lebron walking to the finals. He was able to sweep two series and always was on 4 -5 days worth of rest while we were coming off 7 game series or 6 game series.

Comment

• Cant really think of a team that approached the season like Nurse and co this year. Not saying its good or bad, and its partially due to injuries but it feels like myself going into final exams, havent studied enough to know how much I know but can probably work out the kinks in the moment.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                        Nick nurse on the woj pod today
                        Where can I find that?
                        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                          Nick nurse on the woj pod today
                          Nevermind. Found it

Comment

• I like Nurse but this shows that maybe he doesn't have the best people skills.

https://youtu.be/E19cUQQTs00

You have to be pretty socially tone deaf to try and get two brand new players to call out the practice habits of a guy who's been there six years, two weeks into camp. Especially without giving them any time to prepare lol.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                              I like Nurse but this shows that maybe he doesn't have the best people skills.

https://youtu.be/E19cUQQTs00

You have to be pretty socially tone deaf to try and get two brand new players to call out the practice habits of a guy who's been there six years, two weeks into camp. Especially without giving them any time to prepare lol.

Also confirms that Lowry is a toxic d!ckhead who takes great pleasure in undermining his coaches. He makes no apologies for being an ass. Lowry better show out in the playoffs. If you want to walk around with the MJ attitude, then you better bring the MJ game.

And it's not just Nurse's lack of people skills that's concerning, but moreso the lack of discipline and team preparation. Lowry basically says that the attention to details and work ethic has slipped, in comparison to Casey's days. It's rare in life that you can succeed at the highest levels just on talent and smarts alone. It's no surprise then, how the team regularly looks so dis-jointed, since Lowry says that Nurse's philiosophy is basically to throw guys out there and "let them figure it out." .

Imagine Danny and Kawhi coming from the Spurs under Pop to Nurse......

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Also confirms that Lowry is a toxic d!ckhead who takes great pleasure in undermining his coaches. He makes no apologies for being an ass. Lowry better show out in the playoffs. If you want to walk around with the MJ attitude, then you better bring the MJ game.

And it's not just Nurse's lack of people skills that's concerning, but moreso the lack of discipline and team preparation. Lowry basically says that the attention to details and work ethic has slipped, in comparison to Casey's days. It's rare in life that you can succeed at the highest levels just on talent and smarts alone. It's no surprise then, how the team regularly looks so dis-jointed, since Lowry says that Nurse's philiosophy is basically to throw guys out there and "let them figure it out." .

Imagine Danny and Kawhi coming from the Spurs under Pop to Nurse......

Kyle literally says his independent streak is not from a bad or malicious place but from wanting the team to be the best it can be.

How you turn that into him being "a toxic d***head" is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                                X