Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

Kyle literally says his independent streak is not from a bad or malicious place but from wanting the team to be the best it can be.

How you turn that into him being "a toxic d***head" is beyond me.
    I wouldn't expect a Lowry apologist to see anything negative about Kyle in the fact that Nurse had to intervene in the first place. For everyone else though, I'd love to see Kyle try that attitude with Popovich. But it's no wonder why Lowry never got a call back when he wanted to the Spurs in free agency. Pop wants players who are "over themselves", and even though he's matured a ton here, Lowry still isn't where he needs to be at his ripe old age.

Comment

• Are people ready to concede that maybe Nurse and his brain trust know what they are doing this season?

I think he has been masterful in the way he has handled the players, his strategy and I am looking forward to how he handles the playoffs. Bookmark this post and throw it back in my face if the Raps are out in the second round. I say they make it to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
        Are people ready to concede that maybe Nurse and his brain trust know what they are doing this season?

I think he has been masterful in the way he has handled the players, his strategy and I am looking forward to how he handles the playoffs. Bookmark this post and throw it back in my face if the Raps are out in the second round. I say they make it to the Eastern Conference Finals.
        I keep saying the odds of the Raps winning the finals are X. What maybe 10%?
        The odds of beating say, the Bucks in the ECF are what 50%?
        The odds of getting knocked out in the 2nd round, 30%?
        First round 10%?

Yet with the odds stacked against them, there are quite a few "fans" who already have their posts lined up to blame Nurse. I want to see a post season finals appearance at least, but a 6 or 7 hard fought game ECF would generally be considered a successful season. Fans have to be realistic. We're going to go up against the Bucks, Celtics/76ers and then either Houston or the GSW. We got a chance but it's not an overwhelmingly great chance.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
          I like Nurse but this shows that maybe he doesn't have the best people skills.

https://youtu.be/E19cUQQTs00

You have to be pretty socially tone deaf to try and get two brand new players to call out the practice habits of a guy who's been there six years, two weeks into camp. Especially without giving them any time to prepare lol.

On the other hand Lowry and Green both said they appreciate that with Nurse everything is communicated, everything is out in the open. They don't leave things unsaid. Take a moment to appreciate the balls it took for Nurse to set that up - the team had just traded DeRozan last offseason, he could have lost Lowry right there. He's no idiot, he knew that risk. He also knows Lowry and we can safely assume he was confident Lowry would respond positively or he wouldn't have done it. He also actually did set the "Spurs tone" right there - brought in the new best players with the old best player and together they called out the old best player to become a better leader in practice this season.

Where are all those people calling Nurse a beta male who shies away from player egos?
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

On the other hand Lowry and Green both said they appreciate that with Nurse everything is communicated, everything is out in the open. They don't leave things unsaid. Take a moment to appreciate the balls it took for Nurse to set that up - the team had just traded DeRozan last offseason, he could have lost Lowry right there. He's no idiot, he knew that risk. He also knows Lowry and we can safely assume he was confident Lowry would respond positively or he wouldn't have done it. He also actually did set the "Spurs tone" right there - brought in the new best players with the old best player and together they called out the old best player to become a better leader in practice this season.

Where are all those people calling Nurse a beta male who shies away from player egos?
            lol. Avoiding conflict with Lowry is not exactly having balls. "Balls" would have been Nurse having a direct man-to-man, coach-to-player chat to get him on board. Instead he weirds out Danny & Kawhi who are used to seeing HoF players bowing down to Pop, instead of a wannabe like Lowry undermining practice and taking shots at the coaching staff in front of the team (but hey... all good intentions, in Lowry's words).

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

lol. Avoiding conflict with Lowry is not exactly having balls. "Balls" would have been Nurse having a direct man-to-man, coach-to-player chat to get him on board. Instead he weirds out Danny & Kawhi who are used to seeing HoF players bowing down to Pop, instead of a wannabe like Lowry undermining practice and taking shots at the coaching staff in front of the team (but hey... all good intentions, in Lowry's words).
              We have no idea what one-to-one conversations Nurse has had with Lowry.

"Balls" was the risk of having that whole thing blow up in his face. Right in front of the new guy, Kawhi. With everything the Raptors have on the line with Kawhi. He could have lost Lowry and Kawhi before the season even started. He wanted his core guys on the same page and he wanted Lowry to, evidently, set a different tone than he ever had under Casey. A brand new coach tackling all that with all his best players and alpha personalities before the season even starts? That's is balls, that's damn hard to do in leadership. As Lowry and Green both mentioned in the pod, it's far easier (and it's common) for teams to just let things slide, unspoken and unchallenged. Nurse aired it all right out on day 1 but only in front of the leaders. That's setting a tone.
              Last edited by S.R.; Mon Apr 1, 2019, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Yeah Nurse and Green told those stories because they wanted the world to know what a piece of shit Kyle Lowry was. The case is broken wide open now.

Comment

• Kyle: "I'm gonna say what I feel and do what I want"

I like Nurse and Danny even more now. And Kyle? Meh, you better keep bringing it on the floor cause dude, you continue to be a selfish player. Love ya, but you're a selfish player.

Comment

We have no idea what one-to-one conversations Nurse has had with Lowry.

"Balls" was the risk of having that whole thing blow up in his face. Right in front of the new guy, Kawhi. With everything the Raptors have on the line with Kawhi. He could have lost Lowry and Kawhi before the season even started. He wanted his core guys on the same page and he wanted Lowry to, evidently, set a different tone than he ever had under Casey. A brand new coach tackling all that with all his best players and alpha personalities before the season even starts? That's is balls, that's damn hard to do in leadership. As Lowry and Green both mentioned in the pod, it's far easier (and it's common) for teams to just let things slide, unspoken and unchallenged. Nurse aired it all right out on day 1 but only in front of the leaders. That's setting a tone.
                    I think you're confusing bravery with stupidity here. Like you said, we don't know what conversations went on between Nurse and Lowry earlier. But Nurse not being able to command Lowry's respect without doing something as risky as you suggest, is a clear sign that Lowry views him as a beta. That's undeniable.
                    Last edited by golden; Mon Apr 1, 2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I think you're confusing bravery with stupidity here. Like you said, we don't know what conversations went on between Nurse and Lowry earlier. But Nurse not being able to command Lowry's respect without doing something as risky as you suggest, is a clear sign that Lowry views him as a beta. That's undeniable.
                      Nurse is an idiot on Kyle Lowry, you're the expert thanks to YouTube and Toronto beat writer reports. Got it.

Thank god for Nurse's dumb luck that an injury riddled season is playing out completely drama free in the locker room, while Boston, LA, New Orleans, even Golden State have all had FA drama blow up in their faces this season. Dumb Dumb Nick Nurse is just lucky, in spite of his players saying they like how he openly deals with things with the team. What his players don't know is that Nurse is actually just an idiot who's doing it wrong because he's scared of them. Because in reality he's a beta male who's too scared to call out his best players, so obviously it's not that he knows what he's doing when he does exactly this, the truth is he's an idiot who has no idea how to handle his players. Not like in San Antonio, where they've never had a fall out with a star player like Beta Nurse has all the time. Because Pop would know how to handle these guys for sure!

This is HoF armchair quarter back material right here.

Comment

Nurse is an idiot on Kyle Lowry, you're the expert thanks to YouTube and Toronto beat writer reports. Got it.

Thank god for Nurse's dumb luck that an injury riddled season is playing out completely drama free in the locker room, while Boston, LA, New Orleans, even Golden State have all had FA drama blow up in their faces this season. Dumb Dumb Nick Nurse is just lucky, in spite of his players saying they like how he openly deals with things with the team. What his players don't know is that Nurse is actually just an idiot who's doing it wrong because he's scared of them. Because in reality he's a beta male who's too scared to call out his best players, so obviously it's not that he knows what he's doing when he does exactly this, the truth is he's an idiot who has no idea how to handle his players. Not like in San Antonio, where they've never had a fall out with a star player like Beta Nurse has all the time. Because Pop would know how to handle these guys for sure!

This is HoF armchair quarter back material right here.
                        Don't have to get all emotional about it, S.R. That's beneath you. It is what it is.

Nurse couldn't get Lowry to do what he wanted him to do, so he asked the new guys to try and and do it for him, which weirded Danny out... and we don't know what Kawhi thought about it.

Bigger takeaway is that it's too bad Lowry is such an unapologetic d!ckhead to put Nurse in these positions in the first place. He'd better deliver in the playoffs when it counts. No excuses.

Comment

Don't have to get all emotional about it, S.R. That's beneath you. It is what it is.

Nurse couldn't get Lowry to do what he wanted him to do, so he asked the new guys to try and and do it for him, which weirded Danny out... and we don't know what Kawhi thought about it.

Bigger takeaway is that it's too bad Lowry is such an unapologetic d!ckhead to put Nurse in these positions in the first place. He'd better deliver in the playoffs when it counts. No excuses.
                          You’re making this thing a bigger deal than it needs to be.

If Kyle truly is a dickhead, this would have blown up in everyone’s face and there would be a bad relationship between Kyle and Danny and Kawhi, especially after all the BS that Kyle hates Masai for trading Derozan.

Nurse knows Kyle better than we do. The guy is a competitor and wants to win, don’t see an issue to get 2 guys who already won a championship to talk to him. Sure its weird for DG and Kawhi since its the first time they had to do something like this, but Nurse isn’t some idiot, he knows what he is doing, and it ended with Kyle, Kawhi and Danny all having a postive relationship.

Comment

• None of this affected team's performance so I don't see the issue. If this was serious Danny wouldn't even bring it up on his show. Rule one of any lockerroom is that serious shit stays in house. You break that rule you get a problem ala Spurs and Kawhi.
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              None of this affected team's performance so I don't see the issue. If this was serious Danny wouldn't even bring it up on his show. Rule one of any lockerroom is that serious shit stays in house. You break that rule you get a problem ala Spurs and Kawhi.
                              It's one of those things you can never prove one way or another. If Lowry is more committed in practice and buys into Nurse as his leader, does that help team chemistry on the court? Logic would say yes, but we'll never know. It's a silent killer. There are ways of challenging your superiors without being disruptive, undermining or un-cooperative. Sounds like Lowry hasn't learned that simple life lesson.

Comment

It's one of those things you can never prove one way or another. If Lowry is more committed in practice and buys into Nurse as his leader, does that help team chemistry on the court? Logic would say yes, but we'll never know. It's a silent killer. There are ways of challenging your superiors without being disruptive, undermining or un-cooperative. Sounds like Lowry hasn't learned that simple life lesson.
                                Let's be honest. Nurse is not his superior. Look at their payrolls.
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X