No announcement yet.

Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was from a very good article by Grange. This is not coming from any of us here. Because one moron poster made it his judgment crusade as to who are we questioning this coach.

Well here it is and shove this into your throat or maybe the other end (more like it) because this is coming from someone up close and personal with this rookie coach.

Its no question that all of us are rooting for this team to succeed so I just hope that this coach make the necessary correction (using the word correction of his ill advised mistakes in game 2 is more appropriate than an adjustment)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...rying-raptors/

Through six playoff wins the credit has been directed mostly toward the bulldozer that is Kawhi Leonard’s post-season assault, the stunning emergence of Pascal Siakam, with various other contributors coming in and out of the frame.

Through two losses? It was Nurse who had to answer for why Leonard played just 33 minutes in Toronto’s Game 1 loss to Orlando more than Leonard did for blowing the coverage that allowed for DJ Augustine’s game winner.

And even though Danny Green missed two perfect looks from three that could have tied the game at the end of Game 2, or the club as a whole shot just 9-of-29 on shots defined as ‘wide-open’ per NBA.com, it is Nurse who has the explaining to do.

Why did he think it worthwhile to find 90 seconds for Jodie Meeks at the end of the third quarter — he was minus-4 over the course of three possessions — or why it took Toronto until the third quarter to begin trying to take advantage of Marc Gasolon the block against an otherwise over-matched Tobias Harris?

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
      This was from a very good article by Grange. This is not coming from any of us here. Because one moron poster made it his judgment crusade as to who are we questioning this coach.

Well here it is and shove this into your throat or maybe the other end (more like it) because this is coming from someone up close and personal with this rookie coach.

Its no question that all of us are rooting for this team to succeed so I just hope that this coach make the necessary correction (using the word correction of his ill advised mistakes in game 2 is more appropriate than an adjustment)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...rying-raptors/
      This is always the case, though. No coach pushes all the right buttons all the time and, when a team loses in the playoffs, it's almost always the case that you can point to at least one or two tactical issues that hurt the team. At the same time, Siakam made some bad decisions and took some questionable shots. Green and Gasol and Ibaka couldn't throw it in the ocean. One of those guys is hot instead of cold - hell, Green makes that three and Raps win in OT - and no one is talking about Nurse.

The media and fans are always looking for someone to blame or praise but, more often, it's a combination of many, many people doing (or not doing their jobs) that leads to the outcome of the game.

Comment

• The counter is simple against philly if Joel is going to guard pascal then put him on the weak side at the 3 pt line. That way philly has no rim protection. Attack the rim until they switch that match up.

Second counter Ted is crash the boards on the defensive end philly is punishing the raptors for leaking out.

We we can beat them one half court set at a time.

Oh oh and I am sure gasol hasn’t forgotten how to score in the post.

Comment

• Honestly only two minor adjustments need to be made:

- Have Gasol feast if Tobias is on him. He needs to be aggressive offensively (something he's never done as a Raptor)
          - Don't play Serge with Fred. Serge should always be playing with Lowry when he's out there.

Do those two things and we win easily in my opinion.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            Honestly only two minor adjustments need to be made:

- Have Gasol feast if Tobias is on him. He needs to be aggressive offensively (something he's never done as a Raptor)
            - Don't play Serge with Fred. Serge should always be playing with Lowry when he's out there.

It's so obvious and unanimous the changes everyone wants. The main 2 are tether gasol to embiid, and get gasol aggressive. No more Kyle-Fred-Norm lineup and keep kyle and serge together are #3 and 4.

We'll see tomorrow for the first time just how truly stubborn Nurse is
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              Honestly only two minor adjustments need to be made:

Gasol needs to go to his bag of tricks
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Man gasol could take over games with offense. I think he found his niche here as the glue guy but we already have some other glue guys, we need him a tad more aggressive, closer to lowrys point output.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

This is always the case, though. No coach pushes all the right buttons all the time and, when a team loses in the playoffs, it's almost always the case that you can point to at least one or two tactical issues that hurt the team. At the same time, Siakam made some bad decisions and took some questionable shots. Green and Gasol and Ibaka couldn't throw it in the ocean. One of those guys is hot instead of cold - hell, Green makes that three and Raps win in OT - and no one is talking about Nurse.

The media and fans are always looking for someone to blame or praise but, more often, it's a combination of many, many people doing (or not doing their jobs) that leads to the outcome of the game.
                  I dont disagree with what you are implying that its a collective effort. You are definitely right on that.

But things that a coach can control outside of shooting accuracy, rebound, defensive efforts, talents and resilience can go a long way in a 7 game series.

- rotation
                  - exploiting mismatches
                  - after time out plays
                  - usage of players with clear limitations

...we will find out on thursday and moving forward.

Comment

• Maybe some fans, media, coaching would bother listening more to the sage advice of the RR forum if the criticism wasn't so over the top, constant and damed repetitive. Maybe you're being tuned out for a reason? Beyond the fact that you're not an NBA Coach and have zero qualifications beyond being an emotional fanbase lol

Comment

• Dude lol, i dont fucking care if im being tuned out. I dont get a buck for a click of my post.

Its a thread, we express opinions. In a game thread, it can be over the top and repetitive. Its a game thread ffs.

Seriously, if someone thinks that Nurse would hang around RR forum and based his game adjustment from a post opinion of one us is laughable.

however if Steve Simmons or Michael Grange of the world bombards him with why questions then its a different story

Comment

• Codadav wrote: View Post

Thats what I don't understand...If Embiid comes out early and Marc matches those minutes, doesn't that just help us by giving Ibaka more time early to play with Lowry??...I don't understand how thats not something Nurse would see right away!
                        I think he probably does see it. I hope so anyway and think he’ll adjust in game 3. In game 1 we were up 20 so I have no quams with him keeping status quo. In game 2 Philly adjusted, now its time for Nurse to counter. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

I think he probably does see it. I hope so anyway and think he’ll adjust in game 3. In game 1 we were up 20 so I have no quams with him keeping status quo. In game 2 Philly adjusted, now its time for Nurse to counter. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.
                          Again, I think a lot of it had to do with the fact they had won 5 in a row and were rolling, so why change anything? It almost worked again despite the poor shooting. It's really hard for anyone to upset the cart when everything is working but, no after a loss, it's easier to make changes.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Yeah, I think Gasol is trying to hard to "fit in" and be the ultimate selfless team guy. It's not like he can't score anymore. In the 8 games before he was traded to the Raps, Gasol was averaging 19ppg in 33 minutes, on 15 shots. Not spectacular, but more than good enough for what we need him to do here. He could easily be a co-second or third option if we need him to be. And he dropped 28 on the best team they played during that stretch ... Denver Nuggets.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Again, I think a lot of it had to do with the fact they had won 5 in a row and were rolling, so why change anything? It almost worked again despite the poor shooting. It's really hard for anyone to upset the cart when everything is working but, no after a loss, it's easier to make changes.
                              Yeah, you keep going with your fastball until they show they can't hit it. Then you go your curve and off-speed stuff. Simmons on Kawhi and Embiid on Siakam plus more aggressive double teams was talked about a quite a bit before Game 2, though. A bit surprising that Nurse didn't have any immediate counters.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, you keep going with your fastball until they show they can't hit it. Then you go your curve and off-speed stuff. Simmons on Kawhi and Embiid on Siakam plus more aggressive double teams was talked about a quite a bit before Game 2, though. A bit surprising that Nurse didn't have any immediate counters.
                                I was thinking back to one of the Orlando games where the bench was crap in the first half but Nurse stuck with it in the second half and Ibaka, Powell and FVV rewarded that faith and were really good. But they obviously didn't get it done in Game 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X